Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Off-Topic Discussion
Long time musicians, composers arrangers..... >

Long time musicians, composers arrangers.....

Long time musicians, composers arrangers.....

Old 04-18-2017, 12:02 AM

Location: Paradise actually. Also known as Central New Mexico @ 7 K feet
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default Long time musicians, composers arrangers.....

If you have a taste for Rock that is not limited to one or two of the de rigueur genres..... there is a band, that in my opinion is beginning a whole new one. They are a band like no other in nearly any way you want to examine them. Same instruments mostly but just about everything else is their own creation.

Their name is Lucius. All are Berkley School of Music alumni so the musicianship is top of the line. No one has anything to prove so there is a lot of space for the music to breathe. It is the devices that only educated musicians, and then mostly in classical or Jazz, usually learn that set them apart.

Then there is their attention to MOTION and visual interest. Few Jazzers and no classical players do much of this. Pat Metheny is an exception and he uses all these music devices [that's how I think if them, they are tools, tension from harmonies, There is a jazzer piano guy who does some of this also. I'm not remembering his name but he is well known.

Lucius is very conscious of all these and more. Their songs are brilliantly written and performed and if you take the time to look up the lyrics their stock will go up. Back to visual interest....The way the dress.... Looks like Sun Ra did some of their outfits. Others are very high fasion. Depends on which performances you see. Clothes and make up put me off at first, it didn't last thru the first sone. Part of the whole visual this is how they set up the stage.... the drum kit is everywhere , each player contributes to the rhythms often while playing their insturment of choice. It's not just two and four, but juicy polyrhyhms on about half of the tunes. It makes the 2 and 4 that much more acceptable when they use it. Your milage may vary but give them a look. They have two full performance sets. The first one that won me over was on Youtube of course, Lucius KEXP Full Performance. It's more bare bones musically but still very good in spite of the lack of enough bass in the mix on most stuff. There is still amazing good music there. In both sets the dynamics go from one repeated note supporting the two ladies vocals all the way to full orchestral with three horns on `I Almost Wish It Would Rain'.

Then there is Lucius nprfrontrow full performance with every thing good about them BIGGER! Also they are letting the guitar ponies run a lot more on the new stuff and I love everything they do so far. There is lots of other Lucius stuff on youtube but the two I mention are by far the best I've seen. The stuff from Europe recorded w/cell phones .... the worst.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Just checked them out on UTube.
Yeah. Diggin' it Bro. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM

Son of a gun, I wasn't sure anyone would wade thu the verbiage. `Pleased you liked them, you might enjoy Lake Street Dive. Bare bones presentation great lady singer and good playing all around. More toward RnB and Jazz. Good ladyAc. bass player, Trumpet, also plays guitar, very good drummer and tight vocals.

Ron

who do you like? When I first saw Lucius, I'd had my head burried in learning jazz tunes and some theory for a few years and paid little attention to much else. When I saw Lucius I made a point of checking out the other acts down the right side of the page. Nothing I found was anywhere near Lucius at that time.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:04 AM

Hey Nick....`forgot to ask if you don't mind, are you a musician? What genres do you listen too. Do you write or arrange your own stuff? Just curious. I noticed there is a bass player on the forum somewhere.

Just got my mt. bike back from a long over due tune up. I haven't been on it for about 10 years so it should be interesting to see how long the start up discomfort lasts. It didn't used to be bad at 50. Gonna be 73 shortly.... I'll probably notice the difference. There is a bit of a grade leaving our little valley it always kicks my butt for a few weeks. Nice to have all those gears for that sort of thing.

Ron
Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hi Ron.
I like what Lyle Lovett said about music choice. He was asked what kind of music he likes. He responded, "I like GOOD music". Same here.

I'm not what I call a "musician", can't even read music but I sing and play a bit of percussion (bongos, djembe, tambourine) at church and for occasional events with a friend who IS a musician. We've done rock, pop, Hawaiian and Sinatra-type Standards. All good. All fun!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:32 PM

Nick, I can see that point of view for sure. While I'm not a country music fan I do like Lyle Lovett has to say musically and otherwise. I've had some good times playing djembe and other percussion stuff. Tabla is my favorite but to get proper sounds out of them is probably a lot of work. I have a percussion thing called a Roland Handsonic also known as an HPD15. The top is like a conga head but devided in to five regions all pressure sensitive and can be programed to mute the neighboring pressure sensitive pad or other things that require a lot of practice. There are also 10 more smaller pads around the top you can program to play any of the 300 instruments. It's cheating in a sense because the stuff sounds like a pro is hitting the heads right out of the box. There two drum kits I think the rest are ethnic percussion. So how could they leave out the Dumbek. Not sure of that spelling. In the west, it's pronounced like doom bek. That's kind of discriptive of the sound, a deep one and a high pitched one that cuts thru any mix.

Don't know how much of Lucius' stuff you heard, if you get back that way be sure to try Almost Makes Me Wish For Rain and Better Look Back. They are *****ing at the recording industry or perhaps their producer Dan, the guy stand at the drums most of the time. That seems unlikely since they all write the music together or so they say in interviews. These guys are the only band I've been a real fan of since the Beatles.

Ron
Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I'll just leave this here, contrary to all the far too popular belief, Detroit ain't dead.
Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas
Give em some love anywhere at anytime near you or at the home field advantage St. Andrews Hall Friday May 5, 2017. GA tickets $40, doors @ 8:00pm. Capacity is only about 1,000 peeps so it's nice & cozy and usually just comfortably loud.
http://www.saintandrewsdetroit.com/
Old 04-20-2017, 02:12 AM

`speechless.