JK envy?

Old 08-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default JK envy?

You ever see all em JKs with39s or 40s and get a little envious? Yeah well, I was watching a video of Dirt Every Day and ole Fred saying he'd like to have a hard top with heat and AC. That's bout what a XJ is! If I could just get em 39s on now.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: My Jeep is a GMC

This is about your 3rd or 4th thread concerning JKs, just buy the ****ing thing already, cheese and rice. lmao
Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee

40 inch tire takes 1 ton axles btw,So if any stock jk is rolling on something that big its a mall crawler.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

In Colorado, you would think that until you saw the $4000 worth of axles they have under their rig, $1000 in beadlock rims, another $5000+ in armor, not to mention all the damn lights

Friggin $60K at least. Thats when I smile when I am driving my XJ because I can still wheel 90% as far as them and just take the bypass on the really crazy stuff (because I still need to drive mine to work on Monday and don't have a cushy Audi or whatever they are daily driving)
Old 08-22-2017, 10:49 AM
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by investinwaffles View Post
In Colorado, you would think that until you saw the $4000 worth of axles they have under their rig, $1000 in beadlock rims, another $5000+ in armor, not to mention all the damn lights

Friggin $60K at least. Thats when I smile when I am driving my XJ because I can still wheel 90% as far as them and just take the bypass on the really crazy stuff (because I still need to drive mine to work on Monday and don't have a cushy Audi or whatever they are daily driving)
QFT

I have a badass XJ for the price of their down payment, LOL

...and waffles, the majority of those guys aren't hitting the hard stuff...they freak out when it gets a speck of dust, haha

I used to walk up to those guys out here and say "Nice Jeep", and try to start a conversation with them. 99% of the time, they have a bad attitude, like don't bother me, or you tell them you drive an XJ, and they look down their nose at you. Not all, but a lot. So I stopped talking to those guys for the most part. Sad, really. The scene never used to be like that.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I know almost nothing about JKs except what I've learned here, so tell me, the only engine you can get in a JK is the 3.7, is that correct? If so it seems to me it doesn't make the kind of torque you really need to turn 39s very well. Also, it seems to me you'd have to have more money than brains to risk destroying the drivetrain by overloading it like that. It must be the "Look what I've got" syndrome!

I remember riding in my uncle's CJ in the winter with the canvas top and plastic side windows. Now THAT'S jeepin'!

Last edited by dave1123; 08-22-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Thumbs down

I'd say about 90% of the JK guys around here have no clue about cars. they just take their Jeeps to shops and say lots of lift! big tires! hideous wheels!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
I know almost nothing about JKs except what I've learned here, so tell me, the only engine you can get in a JK is the 3.7, is that correct? If so it seems to me it doesn't make the kind of torque you really need to turn 39s very well. Also, it seems to me you'd have to have more money than brains to risk destroying the drivetrain by overloading it like that. It must be the "Look what I've got" syndrome!

I remember riding in my uncle's CJ in the winter with the canvas top and plastic side windows. Now THAT'S jeepin'!
Theres a guy by my work that has a early cj its red and has the spare tire mounted on the side.I see it once a month driving by and i drool every time i see it.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, I was 12 years old when I rode with my uncle and I've wanted a jeep all my life, but it took loosing my wife before I actually broke down and bought one. I should have done it a lot sooner. I felt like a kid again!

Actually, I looked at Wranglers back in 88, but the price was a bit more than I wanted to pay. I bought a ratted out Chevy truck instead. The wife informed me she was pregnant.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

The earlier JK's came with 3.8's and they were horrible engines. Nothing but issues with them, they made no power and sounded terrible. They now come with Pentastar 3.6's and they're quite the opposite. Stout little v6 with tons of aftermarket support. They come with 285hp right outa the box. You can push them to the +300hp no problem. Unfortunately they make that kind of power higher up in the RPM range so superchargers are quite popular for rock crawlers.

I'd love one. Just couldn't justify that kind of money for a toy. No way I could have as good of a time in a JK as I do in my XJ knowing what I'm paying monthly for it. My XJ owes me nothing and the stories are always better when you get back to camp after a long day of wheeling when there's some carnage involved.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

I've got this guy that's a newspaper distributor and thinks his **** don't stink because he drive a JKU with wide tires. He doesn't like me because I refuse to sink to his level and I drive a WJ. Every time he sees me, he gives me that glare, like "you peon!"

Thursday I asked him what engine he has in it, a 3.6 or a 3.8. His eyes got glassy and he looked like he was staring right thru me, so I said "I thought so." and walked away. I thought he was going to explode! He couldn't come up with a response soon enough and that made him even more pissed.

I probably shouldn't antagonize him, but I couldn't help it! I'll bet he voted for Hillary.

There's another nice, sorta weird guy who drives a 96 XJ, completely stock, that was complaining about his driver's seat back. He's got a cardboard box holding it up. I offered him my WJ driver's seat for free and I thought he was going to kiss me! Ugh! I gave him my info but he hasn't called me yet.

Last edited by dave1123; 09-01-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
I've got this guy that's a newspaper distributor and thinks his **** don't stink because he drive a JKU with wide tires. He doesn't like me because I refuse to sink to his level and I drive a WJ. Every time he sees me, he gives me that glare, like "you peon!"

Thursday I asked him what engine he has in it, a 3.6 or a 3.8. His eyes got glassy and he looked like he was staring right thru me, so I said "I thought so." and walked away. I thought he was going to explode! He couldn't come up with a response soon enough and that made him even more pissed.

I probably shouldn't antagonize him, but I couldn't help it! I'll bet he voted for Hillary.
Definitely a Killary supporter right there
Old 09-03-2017, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ View Post
Definitely a Killary supporter right there
lol, I would say us XJs have closer bond with our vehicles because most of us bust our knuckles wrenching on them. I feel like our department of the Jeep hobby is more like a motor sport.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, it's sorta like the sports car set in the 60s with the guys who owned English cars. Constantly tweaking for that extra edge. The only difference is we tend to break things! LOL!

My uncle told me the biggest problem with English cars was a thing called "Lucasitis." Besides the CJ, he owned a 1954 MG TC.

Last edited by dave1123; 09-03-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy View Post
lol, I would say us XJs have closer bond with our vehicles because most of us bust our knuckles wrenching on them. I feel like our department of the Jeep hobby is more like a motor sport.
Thats because alot of our XJs were neglected/beat on and they NEEDED to be wrenched on. not complaining of course. but by doing so you form a bond with the vehicle that only other enthusiasts understand. unless you are cold hearted.

I would say thats hardly ever the case with people that drive newer vehicles because they dont ever have to wrench and put work into something to make it nice. and id say in most cases if you have the money for the new vehicle you have the money to pay someone else to modify it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: