I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Off-Topic Discussion
I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited >

I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited

I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited

Old 12-03-2018, 05:25 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited

I would like my fellow forum member’s input on a new lift for my personal shop.

As some friends already know, I spent most of my cash in 2017 building a 4000sq ft building to house my car hobbies. As I try and pay “cash for toys”, this was a long time coming and has also left me cash poor for my much-desired new automotive lift for my workshop. The bright spot is indoor storage for my classics and a place to work on cars at my leisure.

After saving the last half of 2017 and working hard all year long, this has paid off with the 2018 Year End Bonus! It is time to buy that new lift.

I already have a Bendpak MD-6XP scissor lift that I have had for 7years and she has served me well through restoration projects and daily driver maintenance. The $800 price was super right as a “like new” auction find from a car enthusiast estate, but I have always lacked “center of car” access.

I intend to keep the scissor lift and I want add a 4 Post lift with a capacity of 9000lbs. I have been looking across the spectrum at many brands, types and price points. The only “Con” I have come up with on 4 post vs. 2 Post, is perhaps the lack of ease for a bottom out motor or transmission pull.

I have considered the following brands and I think I have narrowed the field down, but I would like to get input without my bias.

Bendpak, Ranger, Challenger, Titan, Auto Lift (which seems to be one of many names for an import lift fp9k-dx-xlt), Advantage, Nationwide, Atlas, Rotary, Wildfire, Back Yard Buddy and a few I might have missed naming.

My stable includes things as light as VW Scirocco and as heavy as a Silverado 1500 4x4 and things in between, even a side x side UTV and Mahindra Tractor.

Any first-hand experiences to share with quality, usability and price are welcomed.

Once decided, I plan to share my decision and experience with the chosen brand and vendor.

Thanks, Stephen

Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

I prefer challenger , rotary or bendpak. The main thing I will say is I can’t stand working on a 4post lifts they’re a pain to work around . Any front or rear suspension work is a PITA ... in a lot of instances I’ve seen you can’t get your air impact under a ball joint press when trying to install or remove ball joints so you’re forced to do it the hard way with wrenches . Transmission work isn’t that bad cause you have a built in shelf but engine work is awkward because of working the cherry picker around the front of the lift going in and out of vehicle . Also unless you’re really tall you almost have to have a step stool of sorts to try to work on anything of any height at all which makes me feel unstable while leaning under a hood . I could go on and on I grew up working On a 4 post lift at my families shop and even an in floor single post in floor lift with no side to side lock boy that was fun !
Old 12-07-2018, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

We had nothing but 2 post lifts in our 4 bays at the shop i worked at..they are so much easier and convenient...in fact, none of the shops in my area use 4 pole, at least that i have seen.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i have a two post. so much easier to work with.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I have a 4 post, I would trade it for a 2 post if I could. You can do a lot more with a 2 post and it takes up less space. The 4 post is always in your way and makes it harder to work on stuff. Most of the time I actually prefer working on the ground rather then using the 4 post.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:28 PM

Year: 2001

I am really glad I posed this question to a couple of forums I belong to.

Almost unanimously, the replies have been "Get a 2 Post".

What do you guys think about Symmetric vs. Asymmetric?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

At the shop I worked at over the summer we had challenger lifts. All but one were from 1998 and they all were still going strong with daily use and abuse. We had one 4 post which I pretty much used if it was a quick drive on lift up and check an area for a leak or clean the underside real quick. We had 2 asymmetric lifts, and 1 symmetric lift (the newest one) the asymmetric lifts were great for big trucks and vehicles with frame rails, but for a large variety of size and shape I would prefer the symmetric lift. So for an all around lift like you're looking for the symmetric would be my first choice.