Glock 19 4th Gen- Thoughts?

Old 02-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Glock 19 4th Gen- Thoughts?

I just turned 21 in Sept. and I am looking to get my first conceal carry handgun. went to a local gun shop and the guy working there suggested a couple of Shields which I didn't like. A Sig that I liked but it would take 8 weeks for them to get the one I wanted... So he showed me a 4th Gen Glock 19 that I really liked and he could get it to me within 2-3 business days. So onto my question... What do some of the you guys carry and would recommend for someone who doesn't carry yet? Also I have been shooting firearms since I was six and am comfortable shooting pretty much anything within reason.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM

There is a gun store in America that doesn't keep Glocks in stock?

What?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Glock 19's are a great platform.

For summer attire I find its a little big to comfortably appendix carry without printing. For winter or sweatshirt weather I love it.

My single biggest recommendation is go to a gun store that rents guns, shoot a few different ones. Choose one that feels right in your hand, is comfortable to shoot and one that you shoot well.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by wizardpc View Post
There is a gun store in America that doesn't keep Glocks in stock?

What?
Its in stock but I wanted a night sight and a smoother trigger pull for it. They are also going to sight the gun in for me which is great Lol not my wasted ammo.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM

I have shot multiple handguns in basically all calibers and I really like the way the Glock fits in my hand. And on printing in the summer is no problem for me I am fat so I wear my shirts sorts baggy so my beer belly doesn't hang out too much lol
Originally Posted by LACK View Post
Glock 19's are a great platform.

For summer attire I find its a little big to comfortably appendix carry without printing. For winter or sweatshirt weather I love it.

My single biggest recommendation is go to a gun store that rents guns, shoot a few different ones. Choose one that feels right in your hand, is comfortable to shoot and one that you shoot well.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Also which kind of materials do you prefer for holsters? Kydex or leather? I was thinking of getting both to see how I liked them. I also know the Kydex will tear the sht out of the finish of your gun. But it's not a show gun. Also I will be mostly carrying on the inside of the belt on my hip
Old 02-09-2017, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepasarusflex View Post
I have shot multiple handguns in basically all calibers and I really like the way the Glock fits in my hand. And on printing in the summer is no problem for me I am fat so I wear my shirts sorts baggy so my beer belly doesn't hang out too much lol
Then it sounds like youve made up your mind.

Nothing wrong with a g19 I have two of them. Just grab some 124g +p loads of your choice (i prefer gold dots) and practice often.

As far as holsters go, I love incog holster by gcode, ive used probably 10 different holsters and the incog is by far my favorite for appendix carry. Most of my buddies with a bit of a belly dont like appendix carry and choose to carry around 3'oclock though.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 PM

Thanks I will do that and check out those holsters. And I am not a big guy I am 5'10" and 220 lbs so most of my weight hangs off my belly Lol I often appendix carry knives but a knife a g19 have a little bit of a size difference. Lol thanks for all the advice and help!
Originally Posted by LACK View Post
Then it sounds like youve made up your mind.

Nothing wrong with a g19 I have two of them. Just grab some 124g +p loads of your choice (i prefer gold dots) and practice often.

As far as holsters go, I love incog holster by gcode, ive used probably 10 different holsters and the incog is by far my favorite for appendix carry. Most of my buddies with a bit of a belly dont like appendix carry and choose to carry around 3'oclock though.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

My wife has one for her personal carry. We both love it!!!! It is large but other than that it's exactly what we want out of it. Real pleasure to shoot.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 PM

Nothing wrong with a Glock but I love my Walther PPQ.

Last edited by EatonXJ; 02-09-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:18 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

Just a couple of things, I have the Glock 21 4th Gen, the adjustable backstraps made a nice difference in the grip and all 4th Gen's have them. The other thing is see if your shop accepts the GSSF coupons if they do then wait and join. A $60 two year membership to the Glock Sport Shooters Foundation will get you the coupon which is good for about $200.00 off the purchase. More info can be found at www.gssfonline.com

Last edited by cliffy; 02-10-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepasarusflex View Post
Its in stock but I wanted a night sight and a smoother trigger pull for it. They are also going to sight the gun in for me which is great Lol not my wasted ammo.
Factory night sights are a great option and only add about $50 to the total cost of the gun. They come sighted in from the factory, like all Glocks.

The Glock factory trigger is supposed to be 5lbs. Sometimes people will put a 3.5lb disconnector in them. "Police Trade-ins" might come from New York with a 12lb trigger pull, so avoid those. (Also, this is the reason why NYPD cops can't hit ****)

Is the gun shop trying to sell you gunsmithing services? Or was it your idea?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994 (parting out) and 1998 Classic (under restoration)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

1. Rent before you buy.
  2. Train before you carry.

And no, not your local NRA concealed carry course. A real course. If it doesn't take at least a few days, it's not a real course. An NRA course is a good place to start, but it's not nearly enough.

If you've only had NRA level training, you have no idea what I'm talking about, and you are probably offended by my comments.

Here are some place to get training:

Defense Training International

John's Quips are worth reading. This one may (or may not) apply to you.

Other good places to get real training are, of course (in no particular order):

Massad Ayoob Group
Gunsite
Rangemaster
Thunder Ranch
Firearms Academy of Seattle.

There are others, of course, less well known but equally valuable. If none of these are close enough, contact any of them and ask for a recommendation in your area.

John Farnam travels around, so check his schedule for a class near you.

One place to avoid is Front Sight in Las Vegas. Run by a very slick wannabe. There are a lot like him in the business.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994 (parting out) and 1998 Classic (under restoration)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

"Police Trade-ins" might come from New York with a 12lb trigger pull, so avoid those. (Also, this is the reason why NYPD cops can't hit ****)
That's just one of the reasons, and probably not the most important. The other two reasons are far more at fault:
  1. They don't train.
  2. They don't care.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

Factory night sights are a great option and only add about $50 to the total cost of the gun. They come sighted in from the factory, like all Glocks.

The Glock factory trigger is supposed to be 5lbs. Sometimes people will put a 3.5lb disconnector in them. "Police Trade-ins" might come from New York with a 12lb trigger pull, so avoid those. (Also, this is the reason why NYPD cops can't hit ****)

Is the gun shop trying to sell you gunsmithing services? Or was it your idea?
Here is an interesting fact about the NYPD and their newly issued Glock firearms. https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/1...mber-policies/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: