Common core math.... what the **** is this ****!!!! - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Off-Topic Discussion
Common core math.... what the **** is this ****!!!! >

Common core math.... what the **** is this ****!!!!

Common core math.... what the **** is this ****!!!!

Old 03-16-2018, 01:26 AM

Year: 1998/2018
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0/ 3.2
Default Common core math.... what the **** is this ****!!!!

So I assume others out there have children right lol. So what are your thoughts on this common core math??? I'll leave my thoughts out until some others post...
Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

It is crap. I used to teach math and science. This stuff was dreamed up by some PhD in an office to stimulate critical thinking. It doesn't really teach anything because when these kids get out in the real world or go on to higher math you have to throw it all away and start with doing math the old fashioned way. So it ends up being a waste. This stuff should go away shortly
Old 03-16-2018, 01:52 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

My second grader brought it home and i took it and cussed at her teacher. The old way is easy. No stupid confusing crap there. Her teacher told me it was the new way and all schools will be doing it. I said that my kid wont be doing homework if thats the case. I personally think its crap and i cant teach my child math if schools are just going to confuse my 30 year old *** with simple addition
Old 03-16-2018, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Common Core Math is just the beginning. They're changing the history books as well! When all this started, there was a big increase in home schooling because of this and other reasons.

This all started when the previous administration decided school curriculums were too diverse and there needed to be a national standard so the SAT scores would show everyone was on the same page. It was a big windfall for the book publishers because everyone would have to use the same books and need new ones. School districts would loose their Federal funding if they refused to adopt Common Core.

This all started about 10 years ago and even teachers are having trouble with it. Home schooled students are having trouble passing the SATs with high enough scores to be accepted for college.

IDK because I've not actually seen the new history texts, but I've been told they don't include things like the Holocaust and the incarceration of Japanese and German citizens during WWII. Even Italians were suspect.

To me, this is more important that the 2A discussion because of the impact it has on your kids. Most can't even make change if the register doesn't tell them!

Last edited by dave1123; 03-16-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 PM

Year: 1998/2018
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0/ 3.2

Makes me sad sitting here and watching out once great country fall completely apart.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:00 AM
CF Veteran

It's very hard to discuss this without getting political, but that all there is behind it. If things work out, this could be a thing of the past but so much damage has already been done. I'm 73 and don't have kids or relatives in school now but it's still a very bad thing for this country. If this is a step toward globalization, I feel sorry for the future generation everywhere.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-17-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
Common Core Math is just the beginning. They're changing the history books as well! When all this started, there was a big increase in home schooling because of this and other reasons.

This all started when the previous administration decided school curriculums were too diverse and there needed to be a national standard so the SAT scores would show everyone was on the same page. It was a big windfall for the book publishers because everyone would have to use the same books and need new ones. School districts would loose their Federal funding if they refused to adopt Common Core.

This all started about 10 years ago and even teachers are having trouble with it. Home schooled students are having trouble passing the SATs with high enough scores to be accepted for college.

IDK because I've not actually seen the new history texts, but I've been told they don't include things like the Holocaust and the incarceration of Japanese and German citizens during WWII. Even Italians were suspect.

To me, this is more important that the 2A discussion because of the impact it has on your kids. Most can't even make change if the register doesn't tell them!
Oh it gets worse Dave. They are even rewording the constitution and redefining what it is supposed to mean in text books. And anti-hunters and vegans are trying to turn kids into vegetarian vegetables. These kind of personal political agendas have no more place in our schools than does religion like they claim.

It is far too obvious that radical liberalism is a cult and religion also and needs to be classified as such and also banned from public schools. If they want to indoctrinate the liberal faith let them do it in private schools just like other faiths are restricted to do. Let them pay for it themselves.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
It is crap. I used to teach math and science. This stuff was dreamed up by some PhD in an office to stimulate critical thinking. It doesn't really teach anything because when these kids get out in the real world or go on to higher math you have to throw it all away and start with doing math the old fashioned way. So it ends up being a waste. This stuff should go away shortly
And this is the plan and agenda... They don't want them to learn and think for themselves. They want a class of ignorant uneducated unthinking economic and political slaves.

"KEEP THE BODY, TAKE THE MIND"~ Willie Lynch 1712

For those who are not familiar with Willie Lynch, it would wake up some similarities to what we see today if you read the whole thing. And it is no longer limited to race, this same agenda is now color blind. The plantation owners have now expanded these same principles to include all races.

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publ..._a_Slave.shtml

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 03-17-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 AM
CF Admin

Year: 1987
Engine: 2.9L Stroker

As someone with two engineering degrees, you can imagine how pissed off I get at seeing that crap. My son's teacher and I have had numerous arguments over his homework as well. Like "How does 8 + 5 =10?" My son answered "It doesn't it equals 13." Teacher market it wrong and noted "NO, you take 2 from the 5 and add it to the 8. Now you have 10. Then add the 3 and your total is 13." I sent it back with "He was right all along then with 13. I'm sorry but the real world doesn't care how you do the math, as long as the answer is right."
Common Core, I understand the concept of wanting kids to be able to know the mathematical process and formulas, but the real world wants right answers not "good enough because you tried Billy/Sue!" It's just some crap from that No child left behind bs. Now what happened to if you didn't do your work, you failed and had to try harder? I will not let my kids be brought down to a lower standard if they are better at something just to make someone have good feelings. REALITY will b****smack these kids if they can't get it right.

Ok, I'm just going to slowly walk away from this one now. Sorry and carry on..
Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star View Post
As someone with two engineering degrees, you can imagine how pissed off I get at seeing that crap. My son's teacher and I have had numerous arguments over his homework as well. Like "How does 8 + 5 =10?" My son answered "It doesn't it equals 13." Teacher market it wrong and noted "NO, you take 2 from the 5 and add it to the 8. Now you have 10. Then add the 3 and your total is 13." I sent it back with "He was right all along then with 13. I'm sorry but the real world doesn't care how you do the math, as long as the answer is right."
Common Core, I understand the concept of wanting kids to be able to know the mathematical process and formulas, but the real world wants right answers not "good enough because you tried Billy/Sue!" It's just some crap from that No child left behind bs. Now what happened to if you didn't do your work, you failed and had to try harder? I will not let my kids be brought down to a lower standard if they are better at something just to make someone have good feelings. REALITY will b****smack these kids if they can't get it right.

Ok, I'm just going to slowly walk away from this one now. Sorry and carry on..
As Grandparents it is hitting us heavily too. Rationality is not the top priority with all this.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

It's all just a ploy so they don't think that a Starbucks milkshak.... err, I mean coffee drink, is overpriced or too many calories.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

At this point I will chime in on this again. Outlaw and others, I understand your frustration. ALL OF THIS (yes I am shouting) is the result of trying to make teachers lump all kids into one mold with the idea that we can come up with some regimen that will miraculously make them all "A" students. That is crap. My research for my Masters was in learning behavior. We all have one, it is measurable and you can apply numbers to it etc. When it comes to the "A" students, hand them the text book and they will get "A"s. They don't really need a teacher, they are capable of doing the work anyway. We as teachers naturally tend to want to teach to them. Makes us feel good. However the rest of the class is a different story. You have to let them learn on their own terms so they can achieve maximum success. I am not talking about music on or off, although that is well studied. I am talking about them learning in the same manner that they will use to make decisions. Also not all brains mature at the same rate, (something most parents refuse to embrace). So here is the bottom line. There are simple techniques that aid average students to do higher math for instance, and raise their grade point a full point. That means a "C" student can become a "B" student in algebra and geometry for instance with one simple technique. Using simple language. For instance: When using a graph it is not the ordinate and abscissa, it is the X line and the Y line. It is not balancing an equation, it is doing to one side what you do to the other etc. Unfortunately for average and below students, the powers a be have been historically hung up on vocabulary. So much so that in a class of first and second graders I had I sometimes had to scratch my head and wonder exactly what the text book writer was saying and translate it for them into words they could understand. At least in my book it is not the language that is important, it is whether or not you can do the task that counts
Old 03-25-2018, 02:23 PM
CF Admin

Year: 1987
Engine: 2.9L Stroker

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
At this point I will chime in on this again. Outlaw and others, I understand your frustration. ALL OF THIS (yes I am shouting) is the result of trying to make teachers lump all kids into one mold with the idea that we can come up with some regimen that will miraculously make them all "A" students. That is crap. My research for my Masters was in learning behavior. We all have one, it is measurable and you can apply numbers to it etc. When it comes to the "A" students, hand them the text book and they will get "A"s. They don't really need a teacher, they are capable of doing the work anyway. We as teachers naturally tend to want to teach to them. Makes us feel good. However the rest of the class is a different story. You have to let them learn on their own terms so they can achieve maximum success. I am not talking about music on or off, although that is well studied. I am talking about them learning in the same manner that they will use to make decisions. Also not all brains mature at the same rate, (something most parents refuse to embrace). So here is the bottom line. There are simple techniques that aid average students to do higher math for instance, and raise their grade point a full point. That means a "C" student can become a "B" student in algebra and geometry for instance with one simple technique. Using simple language. For instance: When using a graph it is not the ordinate and abscissa, it is the X line and the Y line. It is not balancing an equation, it is doing to one side what you do to the other etc. Unfortunately for average and below students, the powers a be have been historically hung up on vocabulary. So much so that in a class of first and second graders I had I sometimes had to scratch my head and wonder exactly what the text book writer was saying and translate it for them into words they could understand. At least in my book it is not the language that is important, it is whether or not you can do the task that counts
It's simple, if you're kid is slower than mine or just a complete idiot, why should my kid be brought down to his/her level of ignorance? That in the long run is what keeps this civilization from progressing. If everyone has the same thought process or goals, then where does originality or free thought/ideas come from?

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 03-25-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Not only that, but the creativity of young minds to dream of new things is hampered. Where will we get the new Einsteins or Hawkings? These people don't just think out of the box, they think of new boxes!

Who in their right mind thought a pail of rocks in the classroom was a good idea to protect kids from shooters? You know they'll start using them on other kids! You start throwing rocks at a guy with a gun and you become his concentrated target!

Last edited by dave1123; 03-25-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star View Post
It's simple, if you're kid is slower than mine or just a complete idiot, why should my kid be brought down to his/her level of ignorance? That in the long run is what keeps this civilization from progressing. If everyone has the same thought process or goals, then where does originality or free thought/ideas come from?
And you just exposed the true goal behind it all. The goal is to create a class of non-thinking universal ignorance with equality. A class that never questions the right or wrong or rationality of an ideal. A class that just follows the party off the cliff and reacts irrationally when set off by certain keywords.

This is why history is being vanished or changed. God forbid that anyone figure out that this has all been done before by political science geniuses like Stalin, Lenin, Mao tse tung, Joseph Goebbels and others. This is now being done once more in our own culture.

The goal is to completely obliterate independent thinking altogether. Just follow without question, and it's working...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Common core math.... what the **** is this ****!!!!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: