The CherokeeForum Gourmet - Page 5 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Off-Topic Discussion
The CherokeeForum Gourmet >

The CherokeeForum Gourmet

The CherokeeForum Gourmet

Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 AM
  #61  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 55
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by Basslicks View Post
Alright, it's no gourmet dish, but if you like baked beans, beef, and beer - this recipe will be right up your ally.

Justin's Beer-B-Q Beans

1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp soy sauce (I prefer low-sodium, but fully leaded works just fine too)
1/2 C BBQ sauce (I usually use Sweat Baby Ray's original
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
8oz can of pineapple tidbits, drained
1 28oz can of baked beans (original if you want the ingredients to do all the flavoring, or you can get whatever flavor of baked beans to add some flair - molasses, honey, etc)
1 lb of ground beef
2 beers (best not to use light beers, you want something a little more hoppy for the sweet flavor)

Brown the ground beef in a skillet with a pinch of salt and pepper. A couple minutes before the beef is fully browned, crack open one of your beers and drown the beef in it. Let it simmer a bit until the beef isn't pink anymore but don't let it sit too long or it will dry the beef out. Drain the fat and excess beer from the beef and mix it along with the rest of the ingredients (and that other beer) in a crock pot and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours. I usually double up the recipe and put it in a large 7 qt crock pot because trust me, it goes quick!

That's really all there is to it. Hope ya enjoy
Oh, that sounds good!
Santeh is offline  
Old 07-05-2017, 07:36 AM
  #62  
CF Veteran
 
4WD4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a large sandbox
Posts: 1,619
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default

OK, here's the recipe for Steak Au Poivre as promised. It's my favorite dish.

Use the best possible cut of beef you can (filet mignon, rib-eye, strip, etc.).

Crush or grind 2 TBS of peppercorns, press the ground peppercorns into the meat and sear. Remove when cooked to preference and keep warm.

In a cast-iron skillet (or whatever you've got) add a shot of brandy and light it. This pulls all the flavoring from the caramelized meat back into the mix and adds some warm, tasty notes.

When the flame burns out add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and mix with 2 tsp of brown mustard.

Pour or spoon the sauce over the beef and enjoy!

Note: You can increase the ingredients for the sauce so you have more to serve. This recipe is for 2 people but, I like to have mine with steak fries so I make more sauce.

It's good with asparagus or carrots, carrots and peas and pearl onions.

2nd edit: Just press enough of the ground peppercorns to coat the meat. You do not have to get all 2 TBS on it for 2 servings.

Last edited by 4WD4EVER; 07-05-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: ****ing spell-checker...
4WD4EVER is offline  
Old 07-09-2017, 07:09 PM
  #63  
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY
Thread Starter
 
roninofako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 12,977
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 stroker
Default

Sorry for the delay, but here's the soda bread recipe...

5 cups sifted all purpose unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 lb (1 stick) butter
2 1/2 cups light and dark raisins, soaked for 15-20 minutes and drained
3 tablespoons caraway seeds
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350*. Butter 2 9x5" bread pans. Mix all dry ingredients together, add butter, and mix with hands until it gets grainy. Add raisins and caraway seed. Add buttermilk and egg, stir until well moistened. Shape dough into 2 loaves, place in buttered pans, bake for 1 hour. Test with toothpick for doneness. Let cool in pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove and transfer to wire rack and let cool.

We always either slice when still slightly warm, or pop in the micro for 15 seconds or so, and serve with butter. Delicious.

As for the colcannon recipe, she looked at me, laughed and said it's like boiling water...

Asked more about it, and she said she doesn't use a recipe, just makes mashed potatoes, but uses heavy whipping cream, adds some shallot and green onion, saute's the cabbage chopped up in butter with some salt and pepper (you can add caraway seed if you like), then adds it to the taters, salt and pepper to taste.

If it were me, I would saute the shallots and green onion with the cabbage.
roninofako is offline  
Old 07-09-2017, 07:33 PM
  #64  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 55
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by roninofako View Post
Sorry for the delay, but here's the soda bread recipe...

5 cups sifted all purpose unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 lb (1 stick) butter
2 1/2 cups light and dark raisins, soaked for 15-20 minutes and drained
3 tablespoons caraway seeds
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350*. Butter 2 9x5" bread pans. Mix all dry ingredients together, add butter, and mix with hands until it gets grainy. Add raisins and caraway seed. Add buttermilk and egg, stir until well moistened. Shape dough into 2 loaves, place in buttered pans, bake for 1 hour. Test with toothpick for doneness. Let cool in pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove and transfer to wire rack and let cool.

We always either slice when still slightly warm, or pop in the micro for 15 seconds or so, and serve with butter. Delicious.

As for the colcannon recipe, she looked at me, laughed and said it's like boiling water...

Asked more about it, and she said she doesn't use a recipe, just makes mashed potatoes, but uses heavy whipping cream, adds some shallot and green onion, saute's the cabbage chopped up in butter with some salt and pepper (you can add caraway seed if you like), then adds it to the taters, salt and pepper to taste.

If it were me, I would saute the shallots and green onion with the cabbage.
Go raibh míle maith agat! Tá tú an dá bheith an-chineál!

I must admit, though, that the look from your colcannon question gave me a chuckle!

I look forward to next weekend when I can give the recipes a try!
Santeh is offline  
Old 07-09-2017, 07:37 PM
  #65  
Beach Bum
 
SteveMongr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Posts: 6,108
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Yummy

Subscribed for new and interesting vittles!
SteveMongr is offline  
Old 07-10-2017, 10:11 AM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
tacklebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central KS
Posts: 539
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

oooooooooooo baby!!!


Well done guys, I will contribute a few of my favs soon!
tacklebox is offline  
Old 07-10-2017, 03:08 PM
  #67  
CF Veteran
 
dave1123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manlius, east of Syracuse, NY
Posts: 10,931
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Just a point of interest. Alligator steaks are starting to appear in my local supermarket!
dave1123 is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:35 AM
  #68  
CF Veteran
 
4WD4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a large sandbox
Posts: 1,619
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default Caribbean chicken and banana chutney

Another of my favorite dishes

Ingredients:

2-3 pounds chicken
1TBS olive oil
1 lg finely chopped onion
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 red bell pepper
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp curry
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup raisins
1 1/2 pounds bananas

Preheat oven to 400°.

Mix all the above ingredients, minus the chicken, olive oil and bananas, in a bowl, cover and chill.

Coat the chicken with the olive oil.

​​​​​In a separate bowl mix 2 1/2 tsp black pepper
​​​​​​2 1/2 tsp curry
1 TBS brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/4 tsp salt
Coat the chicken with this mix and cook at least 30 minutes if bone-in

Cut the bananas in ~1/2 thick slices and add them to the chilled mix just before serving (otherwise they will turn to mush)

Spoon chilled mix over chicken and enjoy!

Edit: You can also let the chicken cool after cooking and serve it that way. Good if you're going to a cook-out, picnic or whatever.

Last edited by 4WD4EVER; 07-30-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Added info
4WD4EVER is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 12:18 PM
  #69  
CF Veteran
 
CurrySoSpicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: York PA
Posts: 2,927
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6
Default

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER View Post
Another of my favorite dishes

Ingredients:

2-3 pounds chicken
1TBS olive oil
1 lg finely chopped onion
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 red bell pepper
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp curry
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup raisins
1 1/2 pounds bananas

Preheat oven to 400°.

Mix all the above ingredients, minus the chicken, olive oil and bananas, in a bowl, cover and chill.

Coat the chicken with the olive oil.

​​​​​In a separate bowl mix 2 1/2 tsp black pepper
​​​​​​2 1/2 tsp curry
1 TBS brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/4 tsp salt
Coat the chicken with this mix and cook at least 30 minutes if bone-in

Cut the bananas in ~1/2 thick slices and add them to the chilled mix just before serving (otherwise they will turn to mush)

Spoon chilled mix over chicken and enjoy!

Edit: You can also let the chicken cool after cooking and serve it that way. Good if you're going to a cook-out, picnic or whatever.
What do you call this dish?
CurrySoSpicy is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 01:01 PM
  #70  
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY
Thread Starter
 
roninofako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 12,977
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 stroker
Default

It's really close to a tandoori chicken, but the topping is different...looks good though, gonna try this one soon.
roninofako is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 01:17 PM
  #71  
CF Veteran
 
CurrySoSpicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: York PA
Posts: 2,927
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6
Default

Originally Posted by roninofako View Post
It's really close to a tandoori chicken, but the topping is different...looks good though, gonna try this one soon.
K thanks Rachel Ray.
CurrySoSpicy is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 01:28 PM
  #72  
CF Veteran
 
4WD4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a large sandbox
Posts: 1,619
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy View Post
K thanks Rachel Ray.
LMAO!

It's called Caribbean chicken and banana chutney.
4WD4EVER is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 01:28 PM
  #73  
CF Veteran
 
CurrySoSpicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: York PA
Posts: 2,927
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6
Default

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER View Post
LMAO!

It's called Caribbean chicken and banana chutney.
Sweet dude! Sounds like a great summer dish!
CurrySoSpicy is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 02:13 PM
  #74  
CF Veteran
 
4WD4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a large sandbox
Posts: 1,619
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy View Post
Sweet dude! Sounds like a great summer dish!
It is. If you try it, post your thoughts.

Having a simple lunch today. Pulled pork sammy's w/ Sweet Baby Ray's Q sauce topped w/ dill pickles and sweet Vidalia onions, some Ohio sweet corn on the side and this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...recipe-1945789

I've been making a version if this for several years and found out about Bobby's version ~6 mths ago. It is very tasty and only 3 ingredients! I use 2 heaping TBS of the peppers in adobo sauce then, ~ 10 min before it's done put a few slices of the onions on top and add a cup or so of sharp or extra-sharp cheddar and finish cooking. You can add chunks of ham to it w/ some corn on the side and actually make a meal out of it too.
4WD4EVER is offline  
Old 07-30-2017, 02:17 PM
  #75  
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY
Thread Starter
 
roninofako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 12,977
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 stroker
Default

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy View Post
K thanks Rachel Ray.
That's not funny. I'm nowhere near as fat as her, LOL
Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER View Post
LMAO!

It's called Caribbean chicken and banana chutney.
Seeing as how the islands are strongly influenced by Indian (dots not feathers, lol) culture, I was KINDA close, LOL
Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy View Post
Sweet dude! Sounds like a great summer dish!
Indeed.

BTW, if you want to make some jerk barbeque (chicken/fish/pork/goat) get some of this stuff. It is incredible. Got turned on to it from a good friend from the islands.

Name:  walkerswood jerk seasoning.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  26.8 KB

He also gave me a recipe for homemade jerk seasoning, which I made, and it is virtually identical in taste. I'll have to really dig for that, as it was years ago. But the stuff above, as close as you'll get short of being there. Also, a little goes a LONG way. Add more if you like it HOT.
roninofako is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: