Anyone into Dirtbikes??

Old 06-30-2017, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Anyone into Dirtbikes??

So I want to get a dirt bike, I've owned several street bikes but never a dirt bike

Not much dirt experience, ridden a hand full of times up to a 2-stroke 450 which was really fast (and way too tall, lol)

I will be primarily looking to ride trails and maaaybe dip into some MX tracks (but I like my bones the way they are so maybe not, lol). Probably going to ride Croom Offroad park north of Tampa, FL since I am back home for a few months for the summer. I am mature about riding, sold my street bikes after loosing several friends to traffic accidents and NOT looking to get a street bike any time soon if ever. Never had a problem riding my CBR600 or friends liter bikes, I just don't do dumb crap that will get me arrested or killed

Need to find out about getting an OHV permit without a title, I have no idea what the legalities on dirt bikes are in FL as far as trail riding (MX tracks are usually private, trails are public state land)

Anyways, - would you guys suggest a 125 or 250 2-stroke? I am about 5'7" and 120lbs - I am thinking a 125 2-stroke would let me focus on good riding skills but I don't want to be so down on power climbing hills, since I am not going to be jumping the thing that much (or will I?)

My budget is around $1500 and I found a few bikes that are just within my budget. All of them are "ready to ride" which is what I am looking for (already have too many projects)

Yamaha YZ 125
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/snw/6179167892.html

Suzuki RM 125
https://lakeland.craigslist.org/mcy/6135123379.html

Suzuki RM 250
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/6184443085.html

Kawasaki KX250
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/mcy/6191357439.html

Not really sure what to get, all of them look like good candidates
Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If you are not planning to ride competitively you should probably leave the MX bikes out of the equation if you beat on it you'll be rebuilding the engine about every 25 hours if it doesn't scatter on you before that. Two strokes are also a pain in the *** to ride, the power is usually tight in so far as it's all or nothing and it's difficult to negotiate a technical trail going 70 mph. Most four strokes have the torque available from idle all the way to the limiter and it's just perfect for trails. As well time spent with the big displacement bikes will usually have you fighting with the bike versus riding it. Another thing I've noticed is that all used bikes on CG are in excellent condition and were only ridden by little old ladies to church on Sundays. Sellers almost always forget about the time they swamped it, wrapped it around a tree or that time it slid down a mountain. Also consider that everyone from slack jawed hillbillies to 9 year old kids with a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench do the "rebuilds" on these things. Hence why I bit the bullet and bought new, 2017 CRF 230F.
Consider 4 stroke trail bikes something like: https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/6192524825.html
There is also of course the TTR230 if you can find a decent one used. With just normal maintenance they last almost forever.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

I considered a new bike, but since it is my first dirtbike I don't want to be afraid to thrash it and I feel like having a new expensive bike will make me "afraid" to ride it hard.

Nothing competitive, but I do want to be able to rip around trails - I know 4-strokes are easier to ride and all, smoother and have almost as much power overall as a 2-stroke but I do like the sound and low-down power delivery of a 2-stroke though I am definitely open to a 4 stroke

Kind of afraid of whisky throttling it at an inopportune moment, but that would have a similar effect no matter what motor

I will start looking at more trail style bikes like the TTR models, I was just thinking that an MX style suspension will be more robust and 2-strokes are generally cheaper than 4 strokes and the TTR's look to be pretty heavy. Being 120lbs, 30lbs is a significant amount of weight difference (about 250lbs vs 201lbs for an RM250 and less for the 125 bikes)

EDIT:
What about at TTR 230? Fingers crossed that this one is still available...
https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/snw/6185888485.html

Definitely would help getting something cheap, could comfortably get new riding gear

Last edited by investinwaffles; 07-01-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The only problem with 2-stokes is a narrow powerband that's usually too high in rpm to be good for picking your way over tough trails. What you need is a 4-stroke enduro bike. Most of my experience was with a Ducati 450 RT single that had tractor-like power at low revs, but would wind to 8000 no problem. This was in 71 and I haven't ridden since my back surgery in 84. Same bike with very little problems. It had a crap carb on it and I retrofitted a Mikuni and ended all my problems.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Thumbs up

I am going to suggest a 4 stroke bike aswell. They are much easier to ride on trails with plenty of power everywhere you need it. I used to ride nothing but trails and my 4 stroke was my hands down pick over my buddies 2 stroke. yeah it had a powerband and screamed like a raped ape but it was like having to flip an on/off switch with the throttle.

Is it possible to go riding with some buddies and try a 2 and 4 stroke out on trails? you might really hate a 4 stroke but at least you will know
Old 07-01-2017, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

The one thing about 2 strokes is there is no engine braking. You let off the throttle and mash the brakes. With a 4 stroke, you can downshift and let the engine pull down your speed, then come back with the power without the rear tire loosing traction. A friend of mine has a Yamaha YZ250X and he calls it the world's fastest toggle switch!
Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Lots of good info around this site:
https://www.thumpertalk.com/
https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/221-dirt-bike/

and...
whatever bike you decide on, new or used take the time to go over it wheel to wheel and make sure all fasteners are present and torqued appropriately.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

For me it's 2 stroke all day. May be a little harder to ride, but I have more fun on a 2 stroke. Not technically the same, but I have a stockish banshee and 2015 yamaha quad. The newer one rides better but man that 2 stroke on the shee is awesome. Also, I think your perfectly fine looking for a used bike on cl....i have bought about 6 or 7 dirtbikes there...if you're looking for pristine you won't find it. Everyone wrecks on them. Imo, buying new is like buying a new car. It's not worth it, it depreciates once you sign the papers.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Well, it looks like that TTR 230 is still available, I'm trying to pick it up tomorrow, still trying to confirm that it is $850 as listed but he sounds like an honest person

Going to just grab a new hitch carrier from Harbor Freight for like $140 or so tonight, hopefully the ramp is long enough for a lifted Jeep

Should be a good beginner bike, though from the reviews it sounds like it is fairly slow and heavy
Old 07-01-2017, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

"Should be a good beginner bike, though from the reviews it sounds like it is fairly slow and heavy"

Just go easy, it's more than enough to hospitalize you.

As far as gear a helmet, boots and knee braces as a minimum, roost/back plate isn't an entirely bad idea either. Better to be a little uncomfortable now than alot uncomfortable later.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, I'm looking at all the gear I need now. Should be able to get away for $3-400 for gear

​​​​​I'm going to stop by a local gear shop once I actually get the bike and size out a helmet, pants, boots etc, if their prices are reasonable I'll probably buy the boots locally

Definitely getting a chest/back protector just in case, not really looking to skimp on gear

Edit:
And by slow I really mean heavy compared to a 125 MX bike, but it will be good for training and getting stronger in steeper terrain

Thanks for the advice guys!

Last edited by investinwaffles; 07-01-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Thumbs up

Let us know what all you end up getting
Old 07-02-2017, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Well, he responded to me yesterday morning but has not since

Still available- no title but hasn't been an issue at Croom-hasn't been titled since 2009- otherwise clear with the BMV. It's a great bike. My son doesn't ride much anymore but has been riding it around the neighborhood the last few days without any issues.
Right after that I told him I would take it and pick it up asap - no response yet. Damn Craigslist...
Old 07-02-2017, 01:08 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Every good trail bike is a 2 stroke IMO. No engine braking makes a world of difference for me.

I have a KTM 200 for trails, and a YZ250F for track. The 4 strokes get too hot when you're stuck, and you can toss a valve and its all over.

The TTR230 is a children's bike but it will get you going.

Get the nicest gear you can afford. You can always buy different bikes, but spend the most you can on boots and helmets, etc. I have Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS, and they are incredible. Replaceable parts, comfortable, and will last. I also have a Bell carbon MX helmet. Protect your neck

I have EVS Web Pro knee braces but you can get a good pair for $250-300.

Last edited by kgm; 07-02-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kgm View Post
The TTR230 is a children's bike but it will get you going.
I recently purchased a "childs" bike and I'm more than satisfied with it.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 07-02-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: