Any other hunters?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default Any other hunters?

Starting to think about bow season for deer coming up in September . Any other hunters out there ? If so archery or rifle/shotgun? What all do you hunt? I mainly hunt deer and ducks .
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I try to get out every year. I carry my remington .308 semi auto. Been out for white tail every year for the past 5 years. Went out for mule deer the year before, and only missed one shot. Never saw anything worth it that I could get a shot out on. Im hoping this November though
Old 07-07-2017, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I have been avid hunter all my life since age 8 when I received my first gun a .22 almost 62 yrs. ago now. That said I have hunted all NA big game and down to prairie dogs.

For the area I now live only deer, wild hogs and upland/small game, varmints all done with a gun. My XJ always has 4 long guns in it in a front seat back gun carrier, a .22/.308/.223 and a 12 ga. shotgun riot model with rifle sights. Also a S&W .357 mounted under the steering column.

Most times 4 wheeling I use a least 1 or 2 different guns if nothing more than plinking, always need practice with them like with a bow to keep you sharp and ready for hunting.

Good luck on your upcoming deer hunt and finding a good tree stand.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Year: 1996

I hunt a lot, mostly bow, several species each year with an obvious heavy focus on whitetail. But I hunt elk, bear, mulies turkey, speed goats etc almost every year. I also work for an outdoor TV show (see my sig link)
My season starts the end of August and will be pretty much non stop till end of May.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:16 PM

Awesome ! I'm actually picking up a new to me PSE Decree HD Ti today . I have hunted hogs in Texas , ducks ,deer , turkey , dove and done a lot of trapping and coon hunting . Probably something I am forgetting . I'd like to do moose and elk when I can afford the trips . I have been hunting since I was little not sure exact age but always have had a strong passion for it . We eat deer meat all year to save money on crazy beef costs although we get free beef from my moms husbands farm . Since having 2 kids in 2 years it's made it hard to get much hunting in but this year hoping to bow hunt a lot .
Old 07-07-2017, 01:32 PM

Bowhunting / shooting is my passion other than Jeeps. I'll take my bow over a gun every day and twice on Sunday although I do occasionally enjoy muzzleloader and pistol hunting.

Moose is a huge bucket list item for me and I am currently looking into Alaska for 2018 /19. We shall see. Hoping to have 2 elk tags this year, 1 speed goat, 1 bear, and 5 whitetail tags. That should keep me busy until spring turkey / bear.

We eat a TON of wildgame, in fact we eat probably 99% wild meat. I buy beef only a couple times a year. I also do a fair amount of trapping and I do alot of tanning as well. I have an otter and 1 yote left to finish up from this past season. Think I tanned something like 30 furs this past season which is about 10-20 less than usual.

I don't do much upland bird or waterfowl hunting these days as time just doesn't allow cause I'm usually busy bowhunting during those times.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I've never been into big game or anything but I have always enjoyed hunting groundhogs(or woodchucks if you prefer).

I live on 10 acres and my granddad has 10 acres beside me and on the other side my neighbor has 10 acres and both of them encourage me to hunt them. our properties are about 50/50 woods and open land/fields so we get alot of them.

I used to hunt with an old Sears&Roebuck bolt action .22 with a 7 round mag and a 9 power pellet rifle scope. took out many many groundhogs like that. but it was about 50/50 if they would drop or not on a long distance shot. So a few years ago I upgraded to a wood stocked Ruger Mini 14 with a Simmons scope shooting Hornady Vmaxx rounds. It was a rifle that was on my dream list for over 10 years. But if its a close range shot(like brave/dumb ones in the backyard) i take em with a 12 gauge and game load
Old 07-07-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
Bowhunting / shooting is my passion other than Jeeps. I'll take my bow over a gun every day and twice on Sunday although I do occasionally enjoy muzzleloader and pistol hunting.

Moose is a huge bucket list item for me and I am currently looking into Alaska for 2018 /19. We shall see. Hoping to have 2 elk tags this year, 1 speed goat, 1 bear, and 5 whitetail tags. That should keep me busy until spring turkey / bear.

We eat a TON of wildgame, in fact we eat probably 99% wild meat. I buy beef only a couple times a year. I also do a fair amount of trapping and I do alot of tanning as well. I have an otter and 1 yote left to finish up from this past season. Think I tanned something like 30 furs this past season which is about 10-20 less than usual.

I don't do much upland bird or waterfowl hunting these days as time just doesn't allow cause I'm usually busy bowhunting during those times.
awesome , what bow are you currently shooting ? We eat enough that we solely do our deer into burger now . I debone them completely then take them to a quality shop to be ground beef fat added and packaged I think the packing is the most important part .
Old 07-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by TrailerTrash View Post
I've never been into big game or anything but I have always enjoyed hunting groundhogs(or woodchucks if you prefer).

I live on 10 acres and my granddad has 10 acres beside me and on the other side my neighbor has 10 acres and both of them encourage me to hunt them. our properties are about 50/50 woods and open land/fields so we get alot of them.

I used to hunt with an old Sears&Roebuck bolt action .22 with a 7 round mag and a 9 power pellet rifle scope. took out many many groundhogs like that. but it was about 50/50 if they would drop or not on a long distance shot. So a few years ago I upgraded to a wood stocked Ruger Mini 14 with a Simmons scope shooting Hornady Vmaxx rounds. It was a rifle that was on my dream list for over 10 years. But if its a close range shot(like brave/dumb ones in the backyard) i take em with a 12 gauge and game load
mini 14 is on my list of the many guns I'd like to have
Old 07-07-2017, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

where on earth do you live that you get so many tags? Or do you get some from work? In my state, people are lucky to get 2 hunts a year.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13 View Post
where on earth do you live that you get so many tags? Or do you get some from work? In my state, people are lucky to get 2 hunts a year.
here in Missouri you can get one buck tag for bow and one for rifle and unlimired antlerless in most counties
Old 07-07-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17 View Post
awesome , what bow are you currently shooting ? We eat enough that we solely do our deer into burger now . I debone them completely then take them to a quality shop to be ground beef fat added and packaged I think the packing is the most important part .
Mathews Halon 6
Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13 View Post
Live in KS.. I can get up to 5 deer tags here. One antlered and 4 antlerless. I often hunt at least one other state for whitetail (OH/KY/MO). I can also get a muley tag here. I hunt CO every fall for elk. This year I should also draw a KS elk tag. Each fall either a NM, MN, or CO bear tag(depending on schedule). Speed goats are either WY or KS every year. That is a standard year, mix in or out a hunt here or there depending... sometimes we hunt ID for elk / bear as well.
Spring is even crazier... lol So clearly we aren't talking one state. I apply for tags in ~6 states a year building up points for choice hunts then hunt OTC, where I can, when I don't draw.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:40 PM

Mathews Halon 6
very nice btw I work in KS by the way
Old 07-07-2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17 View Post
very nice btw I work in KS by the way
KC area? I'm central, town of Marion

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: