3d printed parts

Old 08-29-2017, 02:43 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default 3d printed parts

Not really sure what category this would fall into

I get using 3d printed parts for simple things like clips, emblems, hub cap covers, etc

But I keep seeing people 3d printing what I'd call system and safe critical components and that seems like a hazard to me, maybe they print out strong and such but I just couldn't see using printed plastic where most of those parts are steel.

For example I've seen 3d printed parts for tie rod ends, motor mounts. lug nuts, and more.

to me those examples would be something you'd not want to put your life in the hands of a 3d printed plastic piece.

has anyone here used any 3d printed parts and what was the part? Did it hold up as expected? Used as an emergency part until a real one came in?

Just curious.

Ryan
Old 08-29-2017, 04:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

3D printing has come a long way since the beginning. Some parts can be printed in metals now and Airbus actually has made control surface hinges on a printer. Because of the complexity of these parts, they are actually saving time and money by printing instead of machining them. It appears they meet FAA safety standards so they must be strong. They are making the rudder and tailfin out of carbon fiber also.

Actually, the connecting rods in the 4.7 and 3.7 are made from powdered metal, but IDK what the process is.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-29-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:46 AM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee

koenigsegg 3d prints some parts because of their low production numbers.And the 3d printers these companies use are 10 times better then the avg person can afford.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
3D printing has come a long way since the beginning. Some parts can be printed in metals now and Airbus actually has made control surface hinges on a printer. Because of the complexity of these parts, they are actually saving time and money by printing instead of machining them. It appears they meet FAA safety standards so they must be strong. They are making the rudder and tailfin out of carbon fiber also.

Actually, the connecting rods in the 4.7 and 3.7 are made from powdered metal, but IDK what the process is.
Dave the powder rods are made under pressure with a press and molds basicly,Its almost forged the pressure it takes to make the powder metal a rod.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:34 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, I'm aware that induction furnaces can turn powered metal molten quickly and under pressure it stands to reason that would work well. I hadn't thought about the process at all. I guess I've got lazy-brain this morning!

Been away from the job site too long, I guess. Metallurgy is part of my trade.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The answer is 'it depends.' And most of the it depends is it depends on the printer.

As you may know, I design and sell 3d printed switch panels. I do my prototyping on a $300 chinese printer in my garage using filament I buy on Amazon for about $10/lb. That printer type is called Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) and the plastic is polylytic acid (PLA). My prototypes cost me less than a dollar, and often less than a quarter, to print.

Those prototypes are NOT AT ALL suitable for actual use. They are just for me to check form, function, and to make minor adjustments in design very rapidly. The printer is precise, but it's an order of magnitude off from some of the other printers. The little ears that hold the switches in place break off the first time I try to put a switch in. Every time.

Now, once I get my designs right, I send the design files to a company that has a $400,000 Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) printer that basically melts nylon powder in to the final design. What comes out of that printer is stronger, prettier, and far more precise than I could ever hope to have at home.

SLS printers can do metal, plastics, and other materials that FDM just can't do. Daniel Defense even makes a 3D printed rifle suppressor out of, i think, titanium. Suppressors have to last tens of thousands of rounds with extreme heat and pressure and I've never heard of one of them failing.

So yes, I think that 3D printed critical parts are fine assuming the manufactured is using an industrial grade SLS printer with a suitable material. The quality would likely exceed metal-injection-molding in a lot of cases.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:32 PM

Engine: 4.0

I work in aerospace composites, 3d printed parts are taking our industry by storm. I was at NIAR ( National Instituted of Aerospace Research ) just the other day. I spent several hours playing in the robotics / 3d printing lab. The tech available is amazing.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

I guess I should have phrased that as the average home user.

I've seen 3d printed parts just doing searches on thingverse.com and others for example.

it could be like those plastic vehicle ramps. i know according to the manufacturer they are rated to hold like 6000 pounds or 8000 or something like that and the steel ones are rated for like 1000 less but I just can't bring myself to get under a vehicle supported by plastic so i bought steel ones.

i'd just have a hard time trusting system critical components printed on a home 3d printer. not even sure i'd trust ones on a home printer that could print in real metal. mine can print in the aluminum and brass etc filament but thats not real metal.

ryan
Old 08-31-2017, 01:49 AM
CF Veteran

The home user it will be years before the high dollar ones come down to a avg price if they do.I remember when i bought my first blu ray burner was 180 bucks,Today i can get one under 50 bucks.With time things do come down in price most of the time.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:12 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, over time things get cheaper as production gets better. When I was in high school, the only "hand-held" calculator was the Hewlett Packard at $275! Now you can buy a Texas Instrument with more functions for $10!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran