Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Aftermarket electrical systems
Stereo Not Working after Exhaust Header Install >

Stereo Not Working after Exhaust Header Install

Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo Not Working after Exhaust Header Install

Old 08-09-2016, 01:33 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Question Stereo Not Working after Exhaust Header Install

Hello everyone! First post on the forum, how exciting!

Anywho, I have done some recent work to my 91 Base XJ.
Over the weekend it included:
APN Exhaust header
New 703 swap for injectors
Brown Dog Motor Mounts
O2 sensor (yet to be installed, trying to find time to get under there)

After my first startup there was no power reaching my stereo unit. It is a Kenwood KDC-BT362U. I did do the PCM reset method shown on https://thexjguys.wordpress.com/2012...injector-swap/
to reset my Adaptive Memory for my injectors, but I fear that touching the terminals together may have shorted something out.
I have checked my ground, and previously had to run another constant 12v cable from the battery to my harness (before the swap, everything worked fine). My fuses are good (I have no acc fuse in my fuse box but i have two fuses: one inline with the constant 12v, and a fuse on the back of the stereo unit itself). Having done these repairs, one would think that it wouldn't affect the stereo considering that I removed the ground before doing any work. Any suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
dachrisguy is offline  
Old 08-10-2016, 07:12 AM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lost in the wilds of Virginia
Posts: 4,521
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 96 (just purchased) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by dachrisguy View Post
I did do the PCM reset method shown on https://thexjguys.wordpress.com/2012...injector-swap/
to reset my Adaptive Memory for my injectors, but I fear that touching the terminals together may have shorted something out.
You mean touching the battery terminals together? I don't see any way for that to cause your problem. It's normally considered quite safe.


Originally Posted by dachrisguy View Post
I have checked my ground, and previously had to run another constant 12v cable from the battery to my harness (before the swap, everything worked fine).


Please elaborate. Where is your radio grounded, and when you say, "my harness", do you mean the radio harness? Or something else? Where did you get your constant 12v?


Originally Posted by dachrisguy View Post
My fuses are good (I have no acc fuse in my fuse box but i have two fuses: one inline with the constant 12v, and a fuse on the back of the stereo unit itself).
Do you have a switched 12v going to the unit, as well? Most modern radios require that. Typical setup is 12v constant to provide the main power and to keep memory alive, and 12v switched to tell the unit when you have the key on or off.

Sometimes people run these backwards or join them together, and then things get confusing.


Originally Posted by dachrisguy View Post
Having done these repairs, one would think that it wouldn't affect the stereo considering that I removed the ground before doing any work.
That's certainly a reasonable assumption (I would make the same assumption), but the facts appear otherwise. It's possible you shorted something to ground during the process and were not aware of it. Or perhaps disturbed some wiring and were not aware of it.

Or perhaps Murphy is just being really mean today and this is coincidence! It's been known to happen....
BlueRidgeMark is offline  
Old 08-10-2016, 03:09 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark View Post
You mean touching the battery terminals together? I don't see any way for that to cause your problem. It's normally considered quite safe.






Please elaborate. Where is your radio grounded, and when you say, "my harness", do you mean the radio harness? Or something else? Where did you get your constant 12v?




Do you have a switched 12v going to the unit, as well? Most modern radios require that. Typical setup is 12v constant to provide the main power and to keep memory alive, and 12v switched to tell the unit when you have the key on or off.

Sometimes people run these backwards or join them together, and then things get confusing.




That's certainly a reasonable assumption (I would make the same assumption), but the facts appear otherwise. It's possible you shorted something to ground during the process and were not aware of it. Or perhaps disturbed some wiring and were not aware of it.

Or perhaps Murphy is just being really mean today and this is coincidence! It's been known to happen....
Turns out Murphy pulled a fast one! After inspecting my wiring the constant 12v I ran from the stereo to my battery had become disconnected during the install. Ran new wire, works like new. Thank you!
dachrisguy is offline  
Old 08-11-2016, 05:14 AM
  #4  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lost in the wilds of Virginia
Posts: 4,521
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 96 (just purchased) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Murph!




BlueRidgeMark is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
HappyTrails
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
7
12-22-2018 09:41 PM
cherokeebeater_420
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
1
03-20-2016 09:13 AM
srt-iz
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
0
04-07-2008 03:17 PM
saludin
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
2
03-29-2008 08:30 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo Not Working after Exhaust Header Install


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: