Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Speaker centering switch seems to be failing fai

Old 02-18-2016, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Speaker centering switch seems to be failing fai

My 2000 xj has the speaker centering stick like the grand cherokee does and it seems to be hard to center the audio then usual. Sounds like very little is coming from my left door speaker, but ive been listening at only slightly powerful.volume levels.

Could it be the control or maybe the speake4 ia burning out? Another thing to consider is i listen to music through my phone and the sound quality varies alot based in what apps that are streaming.

Is this a common failure?
Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

How is your phone connected to the deck? Try the radio (FM) to see how it sounds. How's the left rear sound? Process of elimination.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jay_sco
How is your phone connected to the deck? Try the radio (FM) to see how it sounds. How's the left rear sound? Process of elimination.
^^^ this^^ and try a CD if you have the cd/tape head unit

I've never taken the cover off the OEM radio, but I am wondering if the contacts that the control **** are connected to inside the radio are dirty. You could try to clean the contacts with contact cleaner. It comes in a spray can. You will have to remove the radio, and take the cover off.

as far as sound quality, you have to realize that digital audio recordings are compressed, diminishing sound quality. Compression techniques are better now than they were years ago, but still not the best way to reproduce live music. Sound quality will vary from song to song depending on how they processed the audio. Also sound levels will vary from song to song depending on who recorded it....also sound quality is going to vary from phone to phone, and I would assume some phones are better sounding than others.

Last edited by mikesignal; 02-18-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:33 AM

Year: 1999

I have passenger side speakers working great but nothing on drivers side . i have tested the wires running through the rubber boot in the drivers door and they test fine with a multi meter so iam leaning towards the radio its self . I also dont own a garage to play with it in so going to have to deal with it in the spring when i can rip it all out and change everything including a new radio . lol Iam pretty sure i can wire it better that jeep did . joe

Last edited by Roadking 97; 02-26-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:43 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Its probably an issue in the factory head. If its doing it on all audio sources, than its a head end failure. Swaping in the new deck should solve your problem completely.

Its not wiring outside the deck from your descriptions, its the deck itself.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:31 PM

Year: 1999
Talking

Originally Posted by AbbadonTD
Its probably an issue in the factory head. If its doing it on all audio sources, than its a head end failure. Swaping in the new deck should solve your problem completely.

Its not wiring outside the deck from your descriptions, its the deck itself.
So what i plan is buying a new radio and switching it out before i tear out the wires ,was planning on fixing the sagging head liner so rewirering it should be pretty easy with the headliner out of it . The 300 pound college kid i bought it from did some spring damage in the drivers seat so with that out also fixing the hole i sit in now .lol Ahhhh even with all the small broken stuff on my old jeep i love to see her every day .joe
Old 02-28-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Roadking 97
So what i plan is buying a new radio and switching it out before i tear out the wires ,was planning on fixing the sagging head liner so rewirering it should be pretty easy with the headliner out of it . The 300 pound college kid i bought it from did some spring damage in the drivers seat so with that out also fixing the hole i sit in now .lol Ahhhh even with all the small broken stuff on my old jeep i love to see her every day .joe
This is what I did replaced the head unit and now have two speakers one factory and one aftermarket so far I plan on upgrading the sound system further because when I am alone I like to blast the stereo to and from work.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by NATHAN FALLS

This is what I did replaced the head unit and now have two speakers one factory and one aftermarket so far I plan on upgrading the sound system further because when I am alone I like to blast the stereo to and from work.
Quoting myself but... Went to the garage this evening to get the rear speakers working well turns out It never had them, ever plugs In the holes on chassis and on the door. Why did I have the speaker fader? So, now I have to explore all of the other options available to me, IE sound bars and other goodies
Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

You could try taking the joystick off (carefully) and cleaning the contacts.