Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Small LED conversion difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Small LED conversion difficulty

My teenage son has a 92 XJ that we love fiddling with. It's been a wonderful vehicle. 271k and awesome.

Anyway, I converted all the exterior lights, except for the headlights, to LED. It's much improved the brightness I have to say. Took me a couple tries to get the correct relay so the turn signals would flash but I got it done. I have one small issue remaining. When the brakes are applied, the driver's side, rear amber turn signal illuminates about 50%. Is this caused by an improper ground? Something else? If it is the ground, where would I locate it?

Thank you!
Old 08-21-2016, 12:43 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Is it just at that turn signal, or does the indicator on the dash illuminate as well?

It's never a bad idea to refresh your grounds, and in all reality, a good idea to go ahead and do it anyway. The grounds for the lights are located behind the interior panels in the cargo area. You'll have to unscrew all of the trim panels around the hatch and the sail panels to be able to pull the interior quarter panels off and access them. Shouldn't really see too much corrosion in them being as their inside, so I'd make sure to check all the wires for that bank of lights to make sure there isn't a short somewhere.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Basslicks
Is it just at that turn signal, or does the indicator on the dash illuminate as well?

It's never a bad idea to refresh your grounds, and in all reality, a good idea to go ahead and do it anyway. The grounds for the lights are located behind the interior panels in the cargo area. You'll have to unscrew all of the trim panels around the hatch and the sail panels to be able to pull the interior quarter panels off and access them. Shouldn't really see too much corrosion in them being as their inside, so I'd make sure to check all the wires for that bank of lights to make sure there isn't a short somewhere.
Thanks for that. I've already had the hatch panel off when we added rear speakers for the stereo so it shouldn't be too hard. I have to take the side panels off as well? Also by refresh grounds, you mean tighten? I don't know if the dash indicator light goes on I will have to check that out. Thanks very much.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:33 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Originally Posted by Kinch
Thanks for that. I've already had the hatch panel off when we added rear speakers for the stereo so it shouldn't be too hard. I have to take the side panels off as well? Also by refresh grounds, you mean tighten? I don't know if the dash indicator light goes on I will have to check that out. Thanks very much.
Yup.... the grounds for your stop/turn/tail/reverse lights are here:

Name:  jpgcargobaygrounds.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  79.3 KB

By "refresh" I mean, take them off, clean them with a wire brush until you see shiny metal on the body and the ground ring, put a dab of dielectric grease on the ground point and tighten it back down real good.

It sounds more like you have a shorted wire somewhere, but check the indicator light on the dash and the front passenger light to make sure it isn't the whole circuit.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Basslicks;3294108]Yup.... the grounds for your stop/turn/tail/reverse lights are here:

Name:  jpgcargobaygrounds.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  79.3 KB

By "refresh" I mean, take them off, clean them with a wire brush until you see shiny metal on the body and the ground ring, put a dab of dielectric grease on the ground point and tighten it back down real good.

It sounds more like you have a shorted wire somewhere, but check the indicator light on the dash and the front passenger light to make sure it isn't the whole circuit.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the help. I'll check the grounds. This didn't start happening until I put the LED's in.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have the exact same issue, only BOTH of my turn signals illuminate with the brakes applied;

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f89/le...ignals-225342/

The best I could get was that there is either voltage bleed, or other phantom voltage on that line. I never tried to put a resistor or anything to "eat" up the additional voltage, I tried manually grounding that bulb (stuck a wire into the harness and grounded it well), basically gave up and returned the turn signals.

If anyone has any ideas, I am certainly game to try again. Would love me some LED turn signals (since I already have the electronic flasher relay).
Old 08-25-2016, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Waffles, you are describing classic poor ground symptoms. Check ALL the ground circuits for your lights. All of your rear lights.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:02 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Waffles, you are describing classic poor ground symptoms. Check ALL the ground circuits for your lights. All of your rear lights.
Exactly. LEDs behave differently when they have a poor ground than a conventional incandescent bulb does.