Repurpose Headlight Plug Post-Harness - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Aftermarket electrical systems
Repurpose Headlight Plug Post-Harness >

Repurpose Headlight Plug Post-Harness

Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Repurpose Headlight Plug Post-Harness

Old 11-09-2018, 05:36 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Repurpose Headlight Plug Post-Harness

Greetings!

Installed one of the headlight harnesses to take the load off my headlight switch... so now, my original driver's side headlight plug is just dangling there. Has anyone thought of using that plug to power a light bar to add to the effective light output?

My 96 Cherokee Country didn't come with the standard fog lamps, and I'd like to install a light bar in their place. I understand a lot of them are exponentially brighter than the original headlights, so I'd like to wire the bar into the bright beam side (thus eliminating another cable run to the passenger compartment). Being LED, I would assume the power draw would be far less than the original halogen headlights, and since those are being powered from the harness, I should be good to go... right?

Someone stop me if this is a bad idea. I don't want to burn up my 96 before it hits 300k (in just a few months)

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:47 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I'm in the process of doing a 5.3 swap in a 01 XJ Cherokee. I have the motor, the wiring harness. My question is what is my first step on the wire harness?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:48 PM

Year: 2001
Default 5.3 swap 01 XJ

Originally Posted by dparden68 View Post
I'm in the process of doing a 5.3 swap in a 01 XJ Cherokee. I have the motor, the wiring harness. My question is what is my first step on the wire harness?
Old 11-10-2018, 06:43 AM
Beach Bum

Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

It seems like a good idea but not sure about the details. Are you suggesting to remove high-beam power from headlights to route power to lightbar? Or do you want to power both the high-beams and the bar with same power wires? Either way, this would cause an issue at inspection time.
If it were me, I would run a dedicated harness with relay for the lightbar. Most bars come with the harness.
I had a 96 and placed the lightbar inside front bumper. It had its own dedicated harness.
The headlight plug that is not used should be covered to keep corrosion/debris out of connection.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:48 AM
Beach Bum

Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by dparden68 View Post
Need to start your own thread, this one belongs to member Nosyarg. Link for info; https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...ck-gm/xj-swap/
Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

I actually had the same idea. Whenever I get around to doing the relay harness for the headlights I was going to use the low beam to power a relay to some fog lights. That way the fogs would be on whenever the low beams were on. Then maybe some driving lights that would be powered by a relay that’s activated when the high beams are on. I was actually thinking of using headlights as driving lights so when high beams were on I would have 4 headlights. Haven’t thought through the details yet. Possibly use some motorcycle headlight buckets with an H4 style headlight. Another option is to use headlights as fog and driving lights. Low beam would be fog and high beam driving.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Waynerd View Post
I actually had the same idea. Whenever I get around to doing the relay harness for the headlights I was going to use the low beam to power a relay to some fog lights. That way the fogs would be on whenever the low beams were on. Then maybe some driving lights that would be powered by a relay thatís activated when the high beams are on. I was actually thinking of using headlights as driving lights so when high beams were on I would have 4 headlights. Havenít thought through the details yet. Possibly use some motorcycle headlight buckets with an H4 style headlight. Another option is to use headlights as fog and driving lights. Low beam would be fog and high beam driving.
That's my thought as well. I'd use the bar for high beams, and possibly add LED fog lights for low beam light. I just need the $$ to make it happen. Or maybe one at a time would be best.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:08 PM
CF Veteran

Something popped into my head cause of this thread.
On a Factory Jeep fog light switch in '97 and up the orange wire is the one that powers the illumination for the symbol when you turn on your headlights.
Now I am going to be hooking up an Ext Idle switch in my '00. My thinking was that I would just splice into the orange wire off the fog light switch for
the symbol to illuminate. Thinking it should not be that big a stress on anything.
Might be adding extra lighting to my Jeep. I would like to buy wizardspc's 3D printing piece that allows you to run factory switches in the overhead console
where the garage door opening panel is.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LT...ionId=63515302

I am wondering if you could run a wire from the unused headlight connector and maybe power up to 4 switches for just the illumination of the symbol
off that one wire.
I am guessing there is still power to that unused connector. And only when you turn on the headlights.
I haven't really researched what people do to achieve this. But wondering if this might work.
Any thoughts?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that if you were just to turn on your parking lights that symbols would not illuminate though.

Last edited by Ralph77; 02-03-2019 at 05:13 PM.