Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replacing cargo light.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.
Default Replacing cargo light.

Hello so I have a 94 xj. It has the I'd call it plaster bar across the top of my roof with the 2 speakers in it and in the center is the cargo light. Well the cargo light switch is broken and I decided while I'm at it I want to explore my options for an all around upgrade instead of just buying a new piece to fix it. Well I have this problem which I came here to ask you guys for thoughts and ideas on this. It has 3 wires white. Black. And orange. The black goes from terminal to button. Then white wire from button to light. The next wire is white wire from terminal to light. The third is orange wire from terminal to light. I'm sure you guys know some have the exact same light. Well what do I need to do in order to be able to turn it to a 2 wire light with anoff/on switch.( https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/optronics-weatherproof-interior-exterior-light-il21cs/6251331-P ) I found this for like 8 bucks. It is 2 wires with a built in off/on switch. 1157 bulb and it has screws to mount it and a rubber gasket for I'd assume vibration and whatnot. So that being said. Could I just cut the terminal off wire it black to black. White to white. Cap off the orange. And mount it so I can use the light whenever I need it by switching it off or on without any use of the tail gate affecting if it's on or not. If anyone has experience with this or a better idea. Or even have reasons to talk me out of it please let me know. I will buy an OE style replacement if it's a better option. But like I have a tool box back there. And would like to have it set up the way I am wanting to do it. I'd rather be able to leave the tailgate open without it draining the battery and turn the light on or off at will. Thank you all!!!