Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rear led pod locations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default Rear led pod locations?

Hey guys, I recently got a few led's for my xj, I'm about to install a curved 50" light bar and some fog lights in the front but have 3 switch locations on my switch panel and was thinking of adding some reverse led's to help visibility when needed but cant find any good places to mount them. Has anyone done this or know where they could be installed and look clean? Thanks!

Edit:
I'm contemplating upgrading to this bumper and adding the tire carrier later but can't figure out how much it weighs. I only have a 3" lift and don't want it sagging and kind of defeating the purpose of the lift.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJBR/XJRV.html

Last edited by Spydie; 03-10-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Spydie
Hey guys, I recently got a few led's for my xj, I'm about to install a curved 50" light bar and some fog lights in the front but have 3 switch locations on my switch panel and was thinking of adding some reverse led's to help visibility when needed but cant find any good places to mount them. Has anyone done this or know where they could be installed and look clean? Thanks! Edit: I'm contemplating upgrading to this bumper and adding the tire carrier later but can't figure out how much it weighs. I only have a 3" lift and don't want it sagging and kind of defeating the purpose of the lift. http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJBR/XJRV.html
this is an idea I saw that I was planning on doing.
Attached Thumbnails Rear led pod locations?-image-908044270.jpg  
Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5L MFI

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoReverseLights.htm

Go.Jeep has some great stuff on how to do this:

Old 03-10-2016, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Hey guys, I recently got a few led's for my xj, I'm about to install a curved 50" light bar and some fog lights in the front but have 3 switch locations on my switch panel and was thinking of adding some reverse led's to help visibility when needed but cant find any good places to mount them. Has anyone done this or know where they could be installed and look clean? Thanks!

Edit:
I'm contemplating upgrading to this bumper and adding the tire carrier later but can't figure out how much it weighs. I only have a 3" lift and don't want it sagging and kind of defeating the purpose of the lift.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJBR/XJRV.html
Im putting mine in the rear hatch.

Btw I'm not far from you, I live in Capac.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

Originally Posted by Ad-HocXJ
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoReverseLights.htm

Go.Jeep has some great stuff on how to do this:

I have this exact set up and I would recommend adding led for the bulbs. It looks very stock if you do it right. Bad thing is when I did mine leds weren't that popular or as cheap as they are today and didn't have very many options for bulbs wise and ended up melting the plastic lenses. But overall they are perfect.

I've also done they in a tomken bumper and they are very flush and clean looking.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

You could mount one on each C-Pillar so you can point them to the sides or at an angle if you want or just leave them pointing backwards. There might be a slight whistle I wouldn't be surprised of but they won't get damaged from a rear end collision or wing crushed from going up a steep incline.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I have fogs mounted in my front bumper, they look good and function well. I would love to put some LEDs in the back bumper. The hatch is also a slick move.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:51 PM

The hatch is slick but I'd rather not do any drilling in the hatch if possible although i was looking at some of the single row LED bars and thought about placing a slim one above the license plate angled down. Unfortunately I thought of it an hour into my 10 hour shift so i cant go look and see how well it would fit and everything. my other thought was some of the slim leds tucked back underneath the back bumper.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
Im putting mine in the rear hatch.

Btw I'm not far from you, I live in Capac.
You're only a short stones throw away. Know of any good places to go wheeling near by?
Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 PM

says shipping weight is 75 pounds.. the box doesn't weigh much at all.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:03 PM

only problem with putting lights in the hatch is if you add a tire mount to the bumper it may cover those lights.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

You're only a short stones throw away. Know of any good places to go wheeling near by?
Legal places:

The mounds(closed til May 16th)
Rocks and Valleys in Harrison
Bundy Hill in Jarome
Sand Rd in Caseville
St Helen

I am a avid supporter of legal wheeling. I do not advocate illegal wheeling at all. The places our club(Thumb Jeeps) goes you need either the $26.50 ORV tag, the $10 Trail tag, or both.

I wont be wheeling til mid summer or very late spring. I have to get some health issues taken care of first.

I will be hosting a BBQ/Bonfire in the spring if you want to come and meet some local jeepers and nice people all around your more than welcome, you can shoot me a PM and i'll give you my contact info.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
only problem with putting lights in the hatch is if you add a tire mount to the bumper it may cover those lights.
This is true. I may actually change the location of mine once i get my rear bumper this weekend. i haven't installed mine yet.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
Legal places:

The mounds(closed til May 16th)
Rocks and Valleys in Harrison
Bundy Hill in Jarome
Sand Rd in Caseville
St Helen

I am a avid supporter of legal wheeling. I do not advocate illegal wheeling at all. The places our club(Thumb Jeeps) goes you need either the $26.50 ORV tag, the $10 Trail tag, or both.

I wont be wheeling til mid summer or very late spring. I have to get some health issues taken care of first.

I will be hosting a BBQ/Bonfire in the spring if you want to come and meet some local jeepers and nice people all around your more than welcome, you can shoot me a PM and i'll give you my contact info.
I agree, I don't need a ticket or to destroy someones field just to get a little muddy. I go to Kettering in Flint and am apart of their off-road club and have been to the mounds when my jeep was stock. Was a lot of fun and can't wait for spring. I'm trying to plan a trip for us to do some state land and two-track trailing over on the west side of the state for a weekend. And coming to a bbq with jeepers always sounds like a good time
Old 03-15-2016, 07:57 AM

So i think i figured out a decent location, I planning on two single row 12" LED bars underneath the bumper either attached to the bumper itself or to the front face of the hitch. I think it will be a sleek location and a good place for reverse lights. Thoughts? The front face of the hitch is about 1.5" which is about the same height of the led bar and the depth will put it flush with or just tucked under the bumper a little

Quick Reply: Rear led pod locations?