Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Putco Headlight Wire Harness Upgrade

Old 10-05-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Putco Headlight Wire Harness Upgrade

Two years ago I installed the Putco Harness and upgraded the headlight bulbs to LED's and also installed new headlight housings. Was impressed by the lumen and intensity difference and very pleased with this upgrade. About 6 months ago, the headlights started to act oddly. First, they would not shut off if I turned the engine off first. Then the high beams would not stay on. The lights would flash when the hi beam indicator was clicked, but they would not stay on. Now the low beams will go off in mid trip and won't come back on until the engine has been turned off and then restarted, but eventually they go off again.

So first attempt was to revisit all connections and grounds. I have both headlights grounded to the same ground connected to the battery negative ground strap. Result-No effect.

then over the last few months:

Replaced both relays. Result-no effect.

Replaced both headlight led units. Result-no effect.

Removed the headlight delay shut off module. Result-no effect

Replaced the directional/wiper/cruise control multi switch on steering column. Result-no effect.

If anybody has experienced the same or knows how to fix this, I sure would be appreciative.

Thanks and have a great day!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

LEDs don't really need the relay harness because they don't pull as much current as incandescent lamps. Have you tried disconnecting the Putco harness and connecting the LEDs directly into the stock harness, just to rule out an issue with the Putco harness?

By the way:

Originally Posted by BruceB
First, they would not shut off if I turned the engine off first.
Isn't that normal behavior of the headlight delay?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
LEDs don't really need the relay harness because they don't pull as much current as incandescent lamps. Have you tried disconnecting the Putco harness and connecting the LEDs directly into the stock harness, just to rule out an issue with the Putco harness?

By the way:

Isn't that normal behavior of the headlight delay?
yes, but they never went off until I pulled the headlight switch on, and then turned the ignition on, then turned off the lights and turned off the ignition. Also thanks, great suggestion to by pass the putco harness...didn't think of that. Will let you know how that goes...thanks again
Old 10-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Another thought that comes to mind, depending on what LEDs you bought: Some LED units do not play well with our electrical systems (especially the cheaper ones), and people have gone through multiple sets of them only to give up and go back to stock or convert to H4. What brand are these LEDs you're using?

Do you still have the sealed beam lamps you took out? If bypassing the relay harness doesn't work with the LEDs, plug the harness back in and try it with the sealed beam lamps. If the sealed beams work but the LEDs won't, you may end up having to either upgrade to LEDs with better drivers that can handle our old, tired wiring or just convert to H4. I installed H4 on mine as the "best bang for the buck" option, with the idea that I would upgrade to Truck-Lites or JW Speakers later on. The H4s turned out to be good enough that I never bothered.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:40 PM

So I swap the led's out for the Sylvania Silver Stars that I had. Only the left side bulb lit, on both low and high beam, and low beam is so dim that you couldn't use it as a headlight. Started to do some checking under the hood and also pulled right headlight out. The Putco plug for the back of the light bulb popped out one of the three connectors out the back of the plug. I fixed that and both headlights worked on high beam, but not on low. So I attempted to tap the relays as that had worked in the past. The Putco wire that comes from the batter (two wires) has a connector to the rest of the harness. As I went to move it out of the way, the low beams came on. I took apart the connector and cleaned it with contact cleaner and nylon brush. Put it together and everything seams to work when I want it to. Will try another day to reinstall the led's as I like them much better. Seems like way to easy of a fix..lol..