Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Possible amplifier problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Possible amplifier problem

So tonight on my way back home I was listening to music on my new kenwood cd player via USB cord, the radio is about 2 months old now. The cord I use is kind of garbage and will occasionally lose connection which it did tonight. After plugging it back in and reconnecting it, I noticed I was getting no sound from any of the options on my cd player, USB, bluetooth etc.... How do I know if I either blew out the stock amplifier that came with my jeep or the amplifier in my Kenwood?

The jeep is a 97 cherokee without infinity sound system.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Doubt it was the head unit but 1st check your amps main fuse>amp fuse(if it has one directly on it)> ground cables, then you have to check your connections from amp to head unit. hopefully a cable just came loose.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for 12v on the remote wire that turns the amp on when the stereo turns on.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

There's no factory amp for the non-Infinity system (the amplifier was within the stock radio). I'd check your wiring behind the dash. I'd suggest redoing the wiring (disconnecting it and reconnecting it again) using Posi connectors, which are screw-on caps that keep the wiring nice and tight even on severe bumps.