Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

No sound from speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No sound from speakers

1995 Cherokee Sport. Previous owner had aftermarket radio in it. Had the key turned back to listen to music while I'm working on it then the music just shuts off and won't play anymore. So I take the radio out and thought there was a short so I bought a brand new radio. Doesn't fix it. Take all my speakers out and they were junk. I replace them and still nothing. I get my test light out and check the speakers wire from the adapter to plug into the radio and there's nothing. I have no power to any of my speaker wires. Someone please give me something to work with!!
Old 06-16-2016, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl

Sounds like a ground. I know it's a major pain in the butt, but I've always just run better wires out to each of the speakers.
Anyway, check to make sure the ground is good.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by DJKnightmare
Sounds like a ground. I know it's a major pain in the butt, but I've always just run better wires out to each of the speakers.
Anyway, check to make sure the ground is good.

How would I re-wire it if the original wire harness has no power to the speakers ?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Power to the speakers?

Did you do a continuity check from the harness to the speaker end of the wires?

Did you check the radio fuse?
Old 06-16-2016, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Thejeepcherokee
Someone please give me something to work with!!
1. Have you checked the fuse? You have power to the headunit (at the very least the display illuminates) correct?
Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
1. Have you checked the fuse? You have power to the headunit (at the very least the display illuminates) correct?
This. Start at one end and work to the other.

You have to give us something to work with in order for us to help.

We really do want to help.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 PM

I had the same issue and the wires that run through the door jamb had all broken and deteriorated from opening and closing the door. Could be that.

This video helped me.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
This. Start at one end and work to the other.

You have to give us something to work with in order for us to help.

We really do want to help.

Yes I do have power to head unit! Just not speakers
Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 PM

Do a continuity test on one speaker wire. Pick any one and see if your meter rings out.

Do you know how to check for continuity? If not just say so and we'll write it up for you, no worries.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 PM

Do a continuity test on one speaker wire. Pick any one and see if your meter rings out.

Do you know how to check for continuity? If not just say so and we'll write it up for you, no worries.
No I do not
Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 PM

Ok, so you have power at the head and you have the volume turned up but there is no sound.

Look at your schematic and find the wires that go to one of your front door speakers.

Take your multimeter and attach one lead to the wire at the speaker and touch the other lead to the corresponding pin on the wiring harness.

You should hear an audible tone. If you don't hear a tone you have a break in the wire.

But you could skip all of that by running a new speaker wire from one set of pins on your wiring harness to a single speaker... pick any one, but I'd go with a front door one because it's a short run. When I say pins, I mean the wire coming off the harness... not the actual pins.

Don't bother making it look pretty, just wire it direct and see if you get sound.

It's very possible you have broken wires and just need to run new speaker wire out.

If you have a spare, junk speaker lying around try and hook it up direct to see if sound comes out. That way you don't have to uninstall the speaks you already have in place.

What we're trying to determine is if sound is leaving the head and getting disrupted before it hits the speaks.

If you hook up a speak with new wire and sound comes out, then I'd do all four.

If it is still silent... with no hum or vibration, then move on to plan B.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 PM

Ok, so you have power at the head and you have the volume turned up but there is no sound.

Look at your schematic and find the wires that go to one of your front door speakers.

Take your multimeter and attach one lead to the wire at the speaker and touch the other lead to the corresponding pin on the wiring harness.

You should hear an audible tone. If you don't hear a tone you have a break in the wire.

But you could skip all of that by running a new speaker wire from one set of pins on your wiring harness to a single speaker... pick any one, but I'd go with a front door one because it's a short run. When I say pins, I mean the wire coming off the harness... not the actual pins.

Don't bother making it look pretty, just wire it direct and see if you get sound.

It's very possible you have broken wires and just need to run new speaker wire out.

If you have a spare, junk speaker lying around try and hook it up direct to see if sound comes out. That way you don't have to uninstall the speaks you already have in place.

What we're trying to determine is if sound is leaving the head and getting disrupted before it hits the speaks.

If you hook up a speak with new wire and sound comes out, then I'd do all four.

If it is still silent... with no hum or vibration, then move on to plan B.
Well alrighty man I'll have to do that this weekend when i have time to mess with it. Hopefully something works. You guys are a big help!
Old 07-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Both of my daughters have Grand Cherokees. One is an 02 and the other an 03. I changed out the speakers in the O2 a couple of years ago and the sound in the front speakers were terrible, there's sound, just not as strong as the back door speakers. I just recently bought the 03 and did a stereo and speaker swap on it and the front speakers are even worse. With full fader to the front you can barely hear them. If the wire was broken I wouldn't have any sound. So is it possible that it is almost severed causing this?
Old 07-29-2016, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Tractors4u
Both of my daughters have Grand Cherokees. One is an 02 and the other an 03. I changed out the speakers in the O2 a couple of years ago and the sound in the front speakers were terrible, there's sound, just not as strong as the back door speakers. I just recently bought the 03 and did a stereo and speaker swap on it and the front speakers are even worse. With full fader to the front you can barely hear them. If the wire was broken I wouldn't have any sound. So is it possible that it is almost severed causing this?
You're using the factory wiring and not a common ground for the speakers?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 PM

I got some of the Metra adaptors to go from the Chrysler plug to the speaker. The back speakers worked fine, same speakers, same adaptors.

Quick Reply: No sound from speakers