Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep problem

Old 04-15-2017, 10:00 AM

Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep problem

Okay so im probably the biggest moron right now for doing this. I have a 99 Cherokee sport and I had an after market alarm system (Clifford) and took it out yesterday cause it wasn't working right. There is a fuse on the wire that was connected to the battery. I didn't think I needed to touch that so i disconnected the wire from the battery and tried to get wires out that were involved with the alarm system and followed each one. Some of them had to be snipped socivcsn get them out but they're everywhere so I let them go. I tried starting my jeep and the lights turn on and all but it doesn't start or turn over. I'm hoping to god it's not the engine cause I'll probably end up walking away from it. I know the key didn't have a chip tho. The old owners of my jeep had a problem with hat system as well. Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Its the alarm system. You cut a wire that you shouldn't have. They are wired in so that your jeep can't start if the alarm is disabled. You disabled the alarm so guess what... Jeep won't start. Been there done that. I ended up rewiring the alarm back in cuz I couldn't find which wire it was or where it went
Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I would find the install instructions online searching by model #. Then do the reverse of install. At the least it will help indentify what each wire was controlling.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:28 AM

Year: 1998

The alarm had a starter kill relay in it. When you install an alarm, the installer will completely cut the YELLOW (according to the12volt.com)starter wire and connect both sides to that starter kill relay.

You need to go back under the dash and find the two ends of the yellow wire and splice them back together. Preferably with solder and heat shrink.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Guywitha92 View Post
Its the alarm system. You cut a wire that you shouldn't have. They are wired in so that your jeep can't start if the alarm is disabled. You disabled the alarm so guess what... Jeep won't start. Been there done that. I ended up rewiring the alarm back in cuz I couldn't find which wire it was or where it went

I mean it's already at a garage right now. Would putting a new alarm system in help because the old one is just a huge mess. Some wires I couldn't get to so I just let them go
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Alana Spotts View Post
I mean it's already at a garage right now. Would putting a new alarm system in help because the old one is just a huge mess. Some wires I couldn't get to so I just let them go
No. You just need to reconnect the starter wires.