Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2005 GC WK Laredo w/ Boston Acoustics: Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six
Question 2005 GC WK Laredo w/ Boston Acoustics: Radio Question

So my dad has a 2005 GC WK Laredo with the factory Alpine-manufactured "REC" A/M-F/M-6CD Navigation radio, steering wheel remote controls, the premium Boston Acoustics sound system, the rear DVD entertainment system (VES), and Sirius Satellite Radio (the only thing his Jeep doesn't have is the U Connect hands-free Bluetooth phone system).

The REC unit has failed, and only the radio presets, FM radio, and on/off/volume functions still work. The cheapest navigation radios are $500, and since my dad has the rear DVD entertainment system and the headphones are broken (the DVD system is the only way to have an aux input for an external A/V source in the vehicle), we don't want to go aftermarket, plus it's an expense. Plus, we're trading the Jeep soon in on a new one anyways and don't want value to be subtracted due to a pretty much nonworking radio. I was thinking of purchasing a NON-navigation radio and the bezel to go along with it, just getting rid of the nav functionality, since the disc is outdated, the system was complicated to use and get used to, etc. I had a few questions regarding this change:

1.) Which factory radios for the 2005-07 WK are compatible with the features I listed (Sirius, DVD system, steering wheel controls)? My research has concluded that it's the REC A/M-F/M-6CD-Nav radio that's in my dad's Jeep now, the RAK A/M-F/M-Tape-6CD radio, and the REQ A/M-F/M-6CD radio... basically anything other than the base REF A/M-F/M-CD or A/M-F/M-CD-Aux radios.
2.) Do I have to call SiriusXM when I hook up the new radio to transfer my dad's Sirius subscription?
3.) Is there anything else required to purchase other than the radio and its respective bezel?
4.) Does the radio have to be programmed to my dad's Jeep specifically, or is it just plug-'n'-play?

Anyone who can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Vince