MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

96 booster

Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 PM
  #1  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,741
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 booster

In the process of doing the 95 to 96 Cherokee brake booster and master cylinder mod to my MJ.

Got the parts from U-Pick-It today. Just mocked it up in my XJ parts vehicle.

Brake lines made and booster rod modified.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 AM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
freegdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Broward County Fl.
Posts: 47,922
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors
Default

Finally taking the plunge .
freegdr is offline  
Old 03-24-2014, 07:12 AM
  #3  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,741
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Yep. Then I'll have my wife's to do after that. She's got rear discs already.

A 95 and a 96 at the JY. One had ABS so I couldn't snag that one.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 AM
  #4  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,741
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

It's installed. One quick test drive. I like it. Lot of pedal travel though.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:30 AM
  #5  
CF Veteran
 
884x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Justin, TEXAS
Posts: 1,802
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
It's installed. One quick test drive. I like it. Lot of pedal travel though.
Been looking at this upgrade for a while cause mines leaking(from the diaphragm I can hear air)

I get quite a bit of pedal travel in my 88 with rear disks(ford 8.8)
Stock booster and prop valve though.
884x4 is offline  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 AM
  #6  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,741
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

I'm gonna try adjusting the pushrod between the booster and master cylinder if a another good bleeding doesn't help.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM
  #7  
CF Veteran
 
884x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Justin, TEXAS
Posts: 1,802
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
I'm gonna try adjusting the pushrod between the booster and master cylinder if a another good bleeding doesn't help.
Cool, your mj have disks in the rear?
884x4 is offline  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 AM
  #8  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,741
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 884x4 View Post
Cool, your mj have disks in the rear?
No. Dana 44 with big drums.

XJ has GC discs though. It gets a booster next.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 AM
  #9  
CF Veteran
 
884x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Justin, TEXAS
Posts: 1,802
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
No. Dana 44 with big drums.

XJ has GC discs though. It gets a booster next.
Let me know how the xj does with that booster
884x4 is offline  
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
DelChaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Valley City, UT
Posts: 48
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 884x4 View Post
Been looking at this upgrade for a while cause mines leaking(from the diaphragm I can hear air)

I get quite a bit of pedal travel in my 88 with rear disks(ford 8.8)
Stock booster and prop valve though.
Is that air sound a leak?? Ive had 3 XJ's and every one I've had did it. (I hear air as I depress the brakes, but only through the middle range. If I press the pedal all the way it stops.)
DelChaco is offline  
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 AM
  #11  
CF Veteran
 
884x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Justin, TEXAS
Posts: 1,802
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by DelChaco View Post
Is that air sound a leak?? Ive had 3 XJ's and every one I've had did it. (I hear air as I depress the brakes, but only through the middle range. If I press the pedal all the way it stops.)
Yeah most likely a hole in the diaphragm of the booster like me
884x4 is offline  
Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 AM
  #12  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,741
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Always check the check valve first!!

Engine off for a few minutes. Pull the valve from the booster. Vacuum present?

Or, pull the valve and you should only be able to blow toward the engine, not the booster.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM
  #13  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,741
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

FWIW, it appears that the 1999 to 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee booster is an easier swap yet!

Got one on the bench ready to go in. If you get one, get the lines exiting the master cylinder. They're frickin flexible!!!
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 PM
  #14  
CF Veteran
 
884x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Justin, TEXAS
Posts: 1,802
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
FWIW, it appears that the 1999 to 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee booster is an easier swap yet!

Got one on the bench ready to go in. If you get one, get the lines exiting the master cylinder. They're frickin flexible!!!
Awesome! I'll be looking into this soon! Would you think a booster would be an okay thing to get from a pick n pull?
884x4 is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 PM
  #15  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,741
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 884x4 View Post
Awesome! I'll be looking into this soon! Would you think a booster would be an okay thing to get from a pick n pull?
That's where I get mine!!
cruiser54 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 booster


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: