MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

87 Comanche 4x4 swap questions

Old 03-01-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 87 Comanche 4x4 swap questions

ok i have a 96 xj sport 4x4 with the i6 HIOutput the toyota auto trans that im having rebuilt and a NP242 tcase, the body is rusting out on me.

im picking up a 87 2wd manual Comanche this weekend and im planing on swaping EVERYTHING out of my xj into it. Engine, trans, Tcase, both axles.

i know everything is direct bolt up and ill have to have a new drive shaft made, i did a 2wd->4wd swap a few months back on some xjs one auto and one manual with a friend, but they were a 96 and a 98. so we didtnt have a prob with the issue im concerned with

my question is what do i have to do to put my OBDII engine in a OBDI truck?
i know ill have to swap ecu's but what else?
any other problems or concerns yall think i might run into?

a lil help would be nice as ima start taring into these 2 in the nest few weeks
Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 87 is Renix, not an OBD1

Yes, you'll need to swap harness.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:42 PM

How hard of a job is it? mind you i have a full running OBDII xj for parts, but i need to be able to put all the stuff from the comanche back in the xj and have a running vehicle.

i wana pull the engine, trany, and t case as a assembly and install it in the comanche as one. i understand this aspect is full bolt up no mods needed, but the electronics portion is what im concerned about making all the obdII stuff go in the comanche and work

Last edited by nokool; 03-01-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:54 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You have to decide whether you want to swap the 96 harness in or stick with the Renix stuff.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:31 PM

I wana go obdii if its not to hard it really depends how strong the engine in the Comanche is I just wont like the loss in hp oh does anyone know if the taillights are the same as the dakota

Last edited by nokool; 03-02-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by nokool
I wana go obdii if its not to hard it really depends how strong the engine in the Comanche is I just wont like the loss in hp oh does anyone know if the taillights are the same as the dakota
HO myth buster

Renix in 90 made 182 HP. HO in 91 made 190 HP. That's 8 HP difference.

HO only made more HP than Renix at higher RPMs and not a bit more torque. HO had 58 mm throttle body versus a 52 mm throttle body on a Renix and also had a better design header. See where I'm going with this?

The whole 8HP was not mostly from the head, but from the bigger TB and better exhaust manifold.

Put a 60mm TB from www.strokedjeep.com on your present head, eliminate the "crush" in your headpipe with proper re-routing, and go for it.

HO stands for Highly Overrated.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:11 PM

ok i can live with those stats, heres my next question.

if i leave the renix engine in the Comanche will i have any problems taking off the Manuel trans and bolting my auto trans on? i read some places that there may be a diff in mounting
Old 03-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Banned

ok i can live with those stats, heres my next question.

if i leave the renix engine in the Comanche will i have any problems taking off the Manuel trans and bolting my auto trans on? i read some places that there may be a diff in mounting
You will need a flexplate for the RENIX!

Make certain you have the correct one.

You'll also have an issue with the AW4 wiring. .....or at least you'll need to wire it since you are going manual to auto........along with an auto TPS.

Last edited by Jeep Driver; 03-02-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
You will need a flexplate for the RENIX!

Make certain you have the correct one.

You'll also have an issue with the AW4 wiring. .....or at least you'll need to wire it since you are going manual to auto........along with an auto TPS.
in the end would it be more cost and time effective to just do the Renix->OBDII 2 swap and just use my full power/drive train out of the xj???

UPDATE oreillys has the flexplate for $60 looks like the right one. also will my torque converter i already have for my auto trans bolt up to that flex plate? and couldnt i use my whole throttle body with the TPS off of the Cherokee in the renix engine ?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...d=at+flexplate

Last edited by nokool; 03-02-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Banned

in the end would it be more cost and time effective to just do the Renix->OBDII 2 swap and just use my full power/drive train out of the xj???

UPDATE oreillys has the flexplate for $60 looks like the right one. also will my torque converter i already have for my auto trans bolt up to that flex plate? and couldnt i use my whole throttle body with the TPS off of the Cherokee in the renix engine ?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...d=at+flexplate
No.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:15 AM

well is the torque converter going to bolt up to the renix flex plate?
Old 03-03-2016, 07:00 AM

well is the torque converter going to bolt up to the renix flex plate?
Yes.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Banned

What you are doing is taking apples and mixing them with oranges, then taking oranges and mixing those with the apples.

No sense at all in what you are doing.

If the XJ runs...........leave it alone! If you don't want it, sell it.

Find like-kind parts for the MJ. Find a complete donor for the auto swap, trans, TC, TCU and harness, linkages.....etc.....

You'll likely want a later front axle, non CAD, look for one out of a 97-98........dime a dozen anywhere.

Sell the XJ and buy a $500 donor.........you'll be dollars ahead.

Don't really know why you are insisting on an auto anyway......but that's another matter. That said, you'll need another trans, regardless.

Further- the 96 is somewhat of a bastard anyway....transition year. Some are OBD1 and some are OBD11.....depending on the time of year is was produced. Different seats/floor pan, steering column.

Last edited by Jeep Driver; 03-03-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
What you are doing is taking apples and mixing them with oranges, then taking oranges and mixing those with the apples.

No sense at all in what you are doing.

If the XJ runs...........leave it alone! If you don't want it, sell it.

Find like-kind parts for the MJ. Find a complete donor for the auto swap, trans, TC, TCU and harness, linkages.....etc.....

You'll likely want a later front axle, non CAD, look for one out of a 97-98........dime a dozen anywhere.

Sell the XJ and buy a $500 donor.........you'll be dollars ahead.

Don't really know why you are insisting on an auto anyway......but that's another matter. That said, you'll need another trans, regardless.

Further- the 96 is somewhat of a bastard anyway....transition year. Some are OBD1 and some are OBD11.....depending on the time of year is was produced. Different seats/floor pan, steering column.
the XJ and MJ are already mixed up Frankenstein builds from the factory!! Jeep Body, that comes with ether a AMC I6, GM V6, Renault I4, VM Motori i4, a Peugeot Manual, Japanese Manual, Japanese Auto, Chrysler auto, and a pri obd1 engine control system designed by Volvo!! lol

the way im looking at it im just carrying on a family tradition! besides its not like im doing anything un-common here, also if you can tell me where i can find a donor 4X4 Comanche for $500 id call you Jesus lol
Old 03-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Banned

the XJ and MJ are already mixed up Frankenstein builds from the factory!! Jeep Body, that comes with ether a AMC I6, GM V6, Renault I4, VM Motori i4, a Peugeot Manual, Japanese Manual, Japanese Auto, Chrysler auto, and a pri obd1 engine control system designed by Volvo!! lol

the way im looking at it im just carrying on a family tradition! besides its not like im doing anything un-common here, also if you can tell me where i can find a donor 4X4 Comanche for $500 id call you Jesus lol
You are not programmed to receive. I did precisely what I suggested. $500 is what I paid and I got most of it back in scrap.

Create whatever headache you like.