KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WJ madness

Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default WJ madness

Hello to all,
I am having a peculiar issue with a 2001 jeep grand cherokee. It has the 4.0l and it's a limited.

so yesterday I decided to change engine oil as well as spark plugs. I disconnected the battery, and I do this every time I switch off because I've got a parasitic draw that i havent got time to take csre of yet, Changed the oil and everything was fine, started it up, it ran great. Switched off and topped oil off as needed.

spark plugs were going fine, there are 2 ground wires on the coil rail thats bolted to the engine via a bracket, took those off, took off coil rail, changed them. I put everything BACK IN THE PLACE IT WAS BEFORE, and now it won't restart.

The is a fuse in the undergoes fuse box named PCM battery that keeps blowing. I started tracing wires and it supplied 12v to the PCM. After hours and hours of digging I realised that 2 of the ground wires on the coil rail is a PCM ground, left disconnected fuse is fine. When reconnected fuse pops. Checked voltage to PCM and it' fine at 12.6V BUT I also get the same battery voltage at the ground wire and as a result, the fuse pops.
I know I hav ranted a while but it' because I've been at it for quite a while so...what we got?

1. 10amp fuse #19 pops constantly
2. Ground wire on coil rail which is ground to PCM has battery voltage which I'm sure not supposed to be.

I also notice instrument panel lights on for a few secs when battery is reconnected and then shuts off. Fuel Guage also says empty which I'm sure isn't true.

HELP!! PLEASE!!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:53 PM

Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 2.0T

I’m sorry, but this is a modern Cherokee forum. Try a dedicated Grand Cherokee forum like jeepforum.com or jeepgarage.com. They should be able to help you.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:00 AM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Iím sorry, but this is a modern Cherokee forum. Try a dedicated Grand Cherokee forum like jeepforum.com or jeepgarage.com. They should be able to help you.

while his post may be in the wrong sub forum this is certainly not a forum for modern Cherokeeís only ...