KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Why Are Dealer Installed Hitches Limited to 2,000 lbs

Old 10-08-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Why Are Dealer Installed Hitches Limited to 2,000 lbs

Sorry for new member confused question. I have never towed anything more than a small U-Haul trailer. However, I have purchased a Class C Motor Home and am considering purchasing a 2016 Cherokee Overland to be flat towed behind the Motor Home.

All of the other Cherokee Trim Levels I have looked at (Trailhawk, Limited, Latitude) can be ordered with a towing package rated at 5,000 lbs. However, the Overland can not be ordered with a tow package. The dealer can install a hitch and wiring after the fact - but that would only be a 2,000 lb capacity.

The differences in the packages seem to be the final drive ratio and the enhanced cooling system (with Active Drive II, I believe the Overland will have the transmission cooler).

Does anyone know why the dealer installed hitch will be downgraded in capacity?

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

PS: I have no current plans to tow anything (just be towed behind the MH) so I really don't know what capacity I need. I just don't want to make a purchasing mistake.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The other trims could be geared differently or have stiffer springs both could raise the towing weight.Or could be the hitch its self the dealer has is a smaller class then the factory one.Or even the drivetrains can effect the towing also.Look at the smallest engine offered and the biggest they have two different towing numbers.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I would check the owners manual if possible and see what the rated capacity is there. if it's higher than the 2000 lb it has to be the type of hitch that the dealer installs. might only be a class I hitch.

A class III hitch is rated to 5000 LBs but to tow at that full capacity will require an auxillary Trans-cooler and depending on the tongue wait possibly even a suspension upgrade.

I also imagine that the other two models are already wired for a trailer hookup where as the specified model you are looking at may require installing a trailer harness, which is not all that bad to do. I imagine it has more to do with forcing you to buy the more expensive model than anything else.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tow package is rated for 4,500 lbs, it includes heavy - duty engine cooling, 3.2L V6 engine, 3.517 final drive ratio, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, Class III receiver hitch, 7 & 4 pin wiring harness and full size spare tire. You will need ADII drive to flat tow, which will also give you heavy duty suspension and slightly more height.

Last edited by GCWIMMER; 10-09-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2016
Engine: 3.2

I could not find a Cherokee in my preferred trim level with Tow Pkg. The dealer wanted $600 to install the hitch and harness which was only a couple hundred less than the full Pkg. from the factory but as you state they down rate the towing capacity. I opted to install the hitch and harness myself because I have only towed small trailers.

My '16 Latitude w/ 3.2 came with an Aux. trans cooler, looks like it has the HD cooling and I have a full size temporary spare. I installed an OE hitch and wiring harness myself. I'm only missing the real spare and axle ratio. With the 9 speed tranny is the lower ratio even a concern? I would not be too concerned about the down rated capacity if you have an OE hitch and harness installed later.