KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Speed Limiter in 4 low

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark
Default Speed Limiter in 4 low

found out a few minutes ago in a mild blizzard that the KL TH has a speed limiter thingy installed... 50mph in 4L thats barely cranking up the revs in 9th... lol.. im not sure if i wanna complain about restrictions or be happy that it has one...
Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

LOL. You're such a good field tester.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:12 AM

the windshield wipers are about the worst ive seen on a jeep lol they flip water great..
normally as we all know a jeeps heater will turn yer face into jerky in matter of minutes.. well this one does also.. BUT! the way the wipers lay lower than the vents on the dash.. allows them to freeze up faster... passenger side seems to be the worst..
Old 02-21-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
the windshield wipers are about the worst ive seen on a jeep lol they flip water great..
normally as we all know a jeeps heater will turn yer face into jerky in matter of minutes.. well this one does also.. BUT! the way the wipers lay lower than the vents on the dash.. allows them to freeze up faster... passenger side seems to be the worst..
Depending on you model options, my Limited has heated wiper park area.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by GCWIMMER
i had no idea something like that existed... lol.. but that backs up my claim.. hmm...
Old 02-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Originally Posted by GCWIMMER
Ditto on the Trailhawk. I think it's part of the cold weather package.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Watchful
Ditto on the Trailhawk. I think it's part of the cold weather package.
if i have it, where do i turn it on? lol.. the defrost button? the window looks like it has the heater thing built into the glass, but considering the type of wet heavy snow we have right now... its hard to even keep the ice off anything.. warm or not.. windchill factor win. rear windows froze solid the other day lol
Old 02-26-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Turning on the *rear* defroster will also turn on the heating element in the front windshield for the wipers. So I'm told; I haven't had mine freeze to the glass yet.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Watchful
Turning on the *rear* defroster will also turn on the heating element in the front windshield for the wipers. So I'm told; I haven't had mine freeze to the glass yet.
ice packed in while driving in frozen snow, which equals more packed ice, will shear off those plastic pushpin things that hold the plastic together in the fender well area, hence, ripping out and leaving that flimsy plastic fender well lining somewhere in the snow heaps at your far 6.. lol... also.. if the right side comes out, your belts and lower engine and everything involving lights will be naked and exposed..
Old 03-05-2015, 04:14 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not sure you should be driving 50mph in 4lo anyway. Does the KL have a 4hi option? 4lo is generally used for slow moving rock crawling, trail running, or heavy short distance towing, not highway speeds.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by JeepJess
I'm not sure you should be driving 50mph in 4lo anyway. Does the KL have a 4hi option? 4lo is generally used for slow moving rock crawling, trail running, or heavy short distance towing, not highway speeds.
its meant to go, lol.. and go it does well.. wanna race? race it.. wanna hit a trail go for it..wanna drift in sand in 4 lo in auto mode in 9th gear at 40... go for it.. this aint the old cherokee.. so everything we were used to on our XJs is different to an extreme. everything.. and i can say its for the good.

lmao, its a 9 speed, it would possibly hit 60, maybe 70 at redline.. at 50 its not even pushing the RPMs .. no worries, it will handle it, and like i said, it will outperform my old 96 cherokee hands down.. in basically all aspects.. and it gets around 15mpg to 17 mpg depending on what mode your in at those speeds, which was about what my 08 saharah had in 2wd... lol..

and yes it does have a 4 hi option.. its AWD.
i aint tryin to sell ya one.. but if ya aint got one.. yer missin out..
Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Even if it can go 40mph in 4lo, it doesn't mean you necessarily should. I am probably too careful with my Cherokee, but I plan on keeping it and we sure didn't get to 280k miles driving it like a buggy. I"m also pretty sure that not every Cherokee comes with AWD, there is a 2WD option.

On another note...you're getting 15-17mpg? Is that with your KL? Or is that in '4lo' with the KL?

PS We just bought a 2015 Outback.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=JeepJess;3048405]Even if it can go 40mph in 4lo, it doesn't mean you necessarily should. I am probably too careful with my Cherokee, but I plan on keeping it and we sure didn't get to 280k miles driving it like a buggy. I"m also pretty sure that not every Cherokee comes with AWD, there is a 2WD option.

On another note...you're getting 15-17mpg? Is that with your KL? Or is that in '4lo' with the KL?

PS We just bought a 2015 Outback.[/QU

dont get it twisted dude... it was straight line driving on a 4 lane where if i had been in 4 h, id most likely been running.. 40 - 50 mph anyway.
are you interested in what these vehicles will do in all conditions or are you wanting to spank me? this is a jeep forum not a net nanny chat session.. by the way, they the KL trailHawk will pass everything on the road with ease, and the control it has is awesome... and i passed an outback that was stuck on a hill.. even let my tire go down in the ditch going around them... ....
PS: i bought a TrailRated TrailHawk, I didnt buy an offroad machine to baby and look at.. mines scratched, the skid plates look like shiny! hehehehe..

Last edited by metalwonzero; 03-06-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM

What? I was asking if that was real time mpg, because I wanted to know. Isn't the spec at mid-30's?

All I was saying was that even though your KL CAN go that fast in 4lo, doesn't necessarily mean it should. With the transmission and t-case in a specified gear, the gears can only turn so fast without overheating/regulating speed. Pushing them that hard can't be good for the internals of your vehicle. There is a difference in gearing for 4hi and 4lo, which is why 4hi/AWD is recommended for faster driving and 4lo is recommended for very low traction/low speed situations. I'm not making that up, or trying to trick you, or compete with you; it's just simple mechanics. Continue to drive your car however you want, I'm glad you drive it. More power to you. Have fun out there.

Last edited by JeepJess; 03-09-2015 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-10-2015, 05:28 AM

Question

Originally Posted by JeepJess
What? I was asking if that was real time mpg, because I wanted to know. Isn't the spec at mid-30's?

All I was saying was that even though your KL CAN go that fast in 4lo, doesn't necessarily mean it should. With the transmission and t-case in a specified gear, the gears can only turn so fast without overheating/regulating speed. Pushing them that hard can't be good for the internals of your vehicle. There is a difference in gearing for 4hi and 4lo, which is why 4hi/AWD is recommended for faster driving and 4lo is recommended for very low traction/low speed situations. I'm not making that up, or trying to trick you, or compete with you; it's just simple mechanics. Continue to drive your car however you want, I'm glad you drive it. More power to you. Have fun out there.
lmfao... its a 9 speed, the gauges work, the trans, engine, all run cool at that speed and the rpms run lower than when youd be crawling and it runs hotter when crawling.. its not pushing it at all.. thats my point.. its just governed at 50mph.. i push it when im slinging sand and mud in sports mode at the lake bottoms.
your missing the beauty in what i am trying to explain.. this vehicle will run circles around many other vehicles in snow . with ease.. and if you were in crisis mode.. that would indeed come in handy to know that you can go in low and get their with a quickness. does that clarify.. ?

it aint a car, its a JEEP CHEROKEE...

Quick Reply: Speed Limiter in 4 low