KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Lifting a KL (not Trailhawk)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lifting a KL (not Trailhawk)

So I'm making my first post here, and I'll start with saying hello! I have a 2015 Cherokee Sport which I love, but I'd really like to get a bit more ground clearance. I do some light offroading in the mountains, but nothing serious. I've found a couple of links that have helped me along the way:

http://traxda.com/info/notes-about-t...e-kl-lift-kit/

http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-lift-kit.html

My questions are simple: Has anyone here used the above kit from Rocky Road, or has anyone here lifted their KL and had any experience they'd like to share? And were you able to get a sizable tire mounted on the stock rims? I would be happy with anything similar to the Trailhawk stock size or a little larger.

Are there any other kits out for a 2015 Sport?

Last edited by nohyphens; 01-17-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by nohyphens
So I'm making my first post here, and I'll start with saying hello! I have a 2015 Cherokee Sport which I love, but I'd really like to get a bit more ground clearance. I do some light offroading in the mountains, but nothing serious. I've found a couple of links that have helped me along the way:

http://traxda.com/info/notes-about-t...e-kl-lift-kit/

http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-lift-kit.html

My questions are simple: Has anyone here used the above kit from Rocky Road, or has anyone here lifted their KL and had any experience they'd like to share? And were you able to get a sizable tire mounted on the stock rims? I would be happy with anything similar to the Trailhawk stock size or a little larger.

Are there any other kits out for a 2015 Sport?

Hello! I'm also new and came here looking for info to get more height from my kl sport.
I've lifted my fwd sport, you'll have to go with the ad1 lift kits as ad2/th will lift too much in the back cause the tire to move forward too much. You could fix that by purchasing ad2/th control arms for the rear, but then cost goes up big time.
I went with the budget boost from hazard sky fabrication. It was I think 65-70 for the non aluminum kit, ( most go with this) and 120 for the kit with aluminum spacers. I went with the aluminum cause I like the look and feel in my hands, but once it's on, you can't see it.
The lift in the front is super easy. It's just a matter of taking out a bolt, sliding the strut out to another set of holes, then tapping it to fit your new bolt. Gives abou 1.25" lift in the front. Some choose to stop there, as this will level out your jeep, but when you gas it, have people in the back, tow or carry something heavy, you'll be riding high like on a boat.
The rear your installing coil spacers so you'll need to use a spring compressor.
This gives it about 1.5" lift, and you'll have that scoop look back as if it was factory.
Before the lift I was able to fit 245/65/17 at tires, with very slight rubbing on the well (just some dust) but after the lift (wish I had waited) I could easily go with 255/65/17 or 245/70/17.

Top is before, bottom after. I suck at photos, they don't do it justice. I was extremely unhappy with my 16 purchase, but after the lift and new tires, I can keep it as I'm very satisfied with its beefed up look. Best part, the lift is easily removed for when I upgrade to a 4wd model in about 5 years.

Left if after, right before.

I still am going to get an alignment ( recommended) but as I have no pulling to either side, I'll wait until I take it in for its first oil change in another 2k miles.

Anyway, I signed up to see if anyone had gotten anymore height out of the front, as I've read of some using clamps on the front strut, and the was significantly more travel left to increase lift in the front, but the second set of holes will no longer line up, and I'm weary of the clamps, and there's concern of cv issues when going too high with the front.
But seeing how your post has had no replies, guess creative minds aren't here, so I'll go to another forum.
Btw, use discount code JCCORDERS for the pricing I mentioned.

Last edited by Desertrider83; 03-04-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:51 AM

I actually went with the same kit! It was affordable and the results are great! Put the same size tires as you did but went with BFGoodrich All Terrains.

I, too, would love a little more lift in the front to even out the rake, and to give a little more clearance to the tires. I'm not really doing anything crazy offroad, but I am in the mountains pretty often.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Anyone know if the hazard sky fabrication kit works with a 4x4 ad1? It mentions fwd in the note, but not 4x4?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kylar
Anyone know if the hazard sky fabrication kit works with a 4x4 ad1? It mentions fwd in the note, but not 4x4?
it does!
Dont go with mfc, aside from being more expensive, mfc does not suppprt guys that just want to lift just the front and save some money. Here's his response to me asking fellow kl owners for help getting some extra mm's out of my front: ( should note, this was after he was finished pimping his newest products in thread.)

Last edited by Desertrider83; 04-20-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 AM

Does this void the jeep powertrain warranty on new Jeeps?
Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by nohyphens
I actually went with the same kit! It was affordable and the results are great! Put the same size tires as you did but went with BFGoodrich All Terrains.

I, too, would love a little more lift in the front to even out the rake, and to give a little more clearance to the tires. I'm not really doing anything crazy offroad, but I am in the mountains pretty often.

Hi,

New to this forum.. i love the look of this Jeep Cherokee! What size tires are these?? Also, is this jeep fwd?? I am a little nervous to purchase the Hazard Sky lift since my Cherokee is not 4x4 or Trailhawk version. It is the latitude plus version. I currently have only 225x60x17 stock tires. Looking to sit hire and get bigger tires without rubbing.

I appreciate the help!