KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Interior accessory power

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Default Interior accessory power

Bought a 19 Trailhawk (Olive Green) a few weeks ago to replace my '13 JKUR and '71 CJ5, love it so far, much nicer on the highway and using about half the gas, I swapped out the tires right away as I've never like Firestone, put Toyo Open Country AT 245 70 17's on and ordered a new aluminum wheel for the spare so I could do a 5 tire rotation, the spare just barely fits in the compartment. I tinted the back 5 windows to 5%. Might do a 2" lift in the future but I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to install a hardwired dash camera, I've run the wiring from the rear view mirror bezel to the interior fuse box, I have a ground, constant 12v+ but I need a switched 12v source as well, I've tried every fuse and empty location in the box and they are all constant 12v, I really don't want to pull the interior apart to get 12v from the lighter port or run it from the underhood fuse box as it doesn't look like there is any easy way to get in through the firewall.

Anyone have any ideas ?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Posted on another dedicated KL Cherokee form: jeepcherokeeclub.com by member Array did a full photo install. This is easy and switches on with ACCESSORY and RUN. Some others has tried inside fuse box driver side (me) with out success or run through fire wall to main fuse box. I tried a radar detector connect through over head lights that turned into a nightmare.

This method is easy and faster with all hard work done for us. I skipped the always on extra on/off switch and didn't pop the speaker cover or the narrow close out trim piece. Should be the same for your 2019 TH.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...19VYmgwRHpseVk

Again for a KL Cherokee not Grand Cherokee. Thanks Array.

Last edited by GCWIMMER; 09-26-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:01 AM

Year: 2019

Thanks, that's what I ended up doing, I first pulled the shifter surround off, but there wasn't enough wire length to tap into where the cigar lighter was so I found the wire that ran to it under the kick panel, fairly easy to get to and more wire to work with.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:54 PM

Year: 2016
Engine: 3.2L V6

I ended up fuse tapping the SBMT mini fuse on the interior for my Rexing Dashcam. It's always on but set to screensaver mode so it doesn't draw any power. I've run it like this two months now and it's never drained the battery. One added benefit is the stop/start function shows "battery charging". I think it tricks the stop/start system into thinking it's not ready because of the slight drain. Wierd, but it works.