KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Firmware update for Apple TV??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Firmware update for Apple TV??

2016 Cherokee Overland. Have 8” screen with large volume *****...

Really wanted CarPlay but wasn’t available.

Is is it possible that a firmware update can addit since the 2018’s were offering it?

if not, is my only option a complete head change?

thanks
Old 01-26-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The short answer is yes, but not without upgrading the radio itself.

If you want Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, you'll have to purchase the upgrade kit from Infotainment.com. This is the one you'll need, it's pre-programmed to work with your vehicle, and you can install it yourself by replacing the screen and USB hub, which are both plug-'n'-play (they have a YouTube tutorial on their website): https://www.infotainment.com/collect...y-android-auto

However, it's my understanding that you'll still need to visit your Jeep dealership for a "Proxi Alignment", as vehicles that use a BCM (Body Control Module, aka computer) made by Fiat require it, the Cherokee included. A firmware update doesn't add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, unfortunately. One other thing to consider is that, if you're currently paying for U Connect Access (aka the 9-1-1 Assist, unlock, lock, and remote start from your phone via an app, etc.), you'll lose those services when you upgrade your radio, as the 2014-18 models use a 3G cellular connection, while the 2019 models use a 4G LTE connection, and there's no way to change that. Although Sprint (the provider U Connect uses for the cellular connection) will be discontinuing 3G service after this year along with all other providers as well, so you'll lose that either way. The only thing you'll be able to retain that you pay for on a subscription basis are SiriusXM Satellite Radio and SiriusXM Travel-Link. Those are NOT controlled over the cellular network. Remote start WILL still work from the keyless remote, as well as the unlock/lock functions of course.

Hope this helps you, and it's a shame that you just can't add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto via a firmware update (I wish I could easily do it on my '14 Grand Cherokee with the 8.4AN system).

-Vince

Last edited by 94zj318; 01-26-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

What a terrific reply!!! Your explanation, while disappointing, is clear, concise and extremely helpful.... as well as extremely appreciated.

Dissapointed to lose the iPhone app capabilities but excited to get CarPlay (finally).

It it really seems that they (Jeep) make it difficult just to enhance sales...although it’s doubtful I’ll buy a new one just to get CarPlay.

Many thanks again. I do appreciate your time and knowledge.

Jerry

Last edited by jerryc1976; 01-27-2019 at 07:05 AM.