KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Electric Parking Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electric Parking Brake Issue

I've owned my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude for about 2 weeks now and have had the electric parking brake engage autonomously twice.

Scenario:
Backing into the parking spot at my residence, I realize that I'm not exactly straight. Having a mild case of OCD, I put the vehicle into drive and turn the wheel hard left and pull forward approximately 2-3 inches. The moment I apply the foot brake, the electric parking brake engages by itself.

Note that the Auto Park Brake feature is not enabled.

Additional Issue:
I have the Auto Door Lock feature enabled, which is supposed to lock the doors automatically when you exit the vehicle, but it doesn't. Yes, I'm taking the FOB with me when I exit. No idea what the problem is.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Did you open the door to check and see if you were lined up in the spot? i know that will slam on the parking brake. i got a little bump on the head the first time i put one of those on a hoist. are you sure the auto locks lock the doors when you get out? if so, that would be new. may be a fiat thing. all other chrysler products, the auto door locks operate when you start to drive. if you are using everything correctly, just take it to a dealer so they can check it out. its still under warranty.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Taking to the dealer would be a waste if they can't recreate the issue when they have it. Too many electronics in these vehicles. There may be a chance a sensor is gummed up that controls that function
Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 AM

If the Jeep is on a slope, and you open the drivers door, with it still in gear, and you let your foot off the brake... it will automatically "save" you and pull the emergency brake. That feature is a little annoying if you ask me, too much "nanny" for its own good.
Not sure if you can turn it off though.

There is an option to turn off auto-brake though normally. It will put the brake on and off each time you put the Jeep in park.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 AM

Default [SOLVED]

Originally Posted by JWheeler
Did you open the door to check and see if you were lined up in the spot?
Sorry that I haven't checked the forum in a while; I've been quite busy. This, indeed, was the case, though I found out what was happening before coming back to the forum. That feature is quite annoying.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM

Default Parking brake.

Yes that is a new feature I discovered by opening my door while stopped in gear.
Get used to it. If you need to open the door just release the brake then do your business. My sister just bought her TH and she told me it happened and saved her from catastrophe. She's blond. Had in the past toor up her drivers door when the car reversed in the garage.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 AM
eak

Year: 2014 Trailhawk
Engine: 3.2L
Default KL Parking Brake

2 things.

1) You can disable the auto parking brake in the Uconnect settings menu. Cant remember exactly where.

2) If you have not had the transmission TSB and shift learning (BOTH must be completed) on your KL, I cannot stress strongly enough you need to take your KL in TODAY and get it done.

EAK
Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 PM

Default 2014 Electronic Parking brake problem

As shown below, we have had problems with the electronic parking brake and am wondering if anyone else is having such a problem? I am trying to understand the system and really watch for any times that it happens and double checking to ensure it is not on before towing. REALLY NEED TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE IS HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!

THANKS.

We have 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited (since end of April). We tow it behind our motor home. We have had at least 4 occasions where the electronic parking brake has come on. Once we had just connected it to our motor home. My wife and I both looked to ensure the brake was off, yet when we started towing the jeep to get on to the interstate, I felt the jeep swaying and looked in the rear view camera on the MH to see the tires smoking and jeep swaying. We had to purchase new rear tires to continue our trip. The most recent one was when I was backing the jeep (not connected to the motor home) at home and the brake came on automatically. I know now there have been other times that it has happened and I just thought it was something I did.

Have taken it to the dealer and of course they cannot duplicate the problem so they are just saying it is probably caused from the wiring harness that allows the brake lights to work the same as the MH lights when towing. I will disconnect these lights and carry them back at some point, but do not think that is it.

If anyone else is having this problem please let me know!

Originally Posted by enoctis
I've owned my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude for about 2 weeks now and have had the electric parking brake engage autonomously twice.

Scenario:
Backing into the parking spot at my residence, I realize that I'm not exactly straight. Having a mild case of OCD, I put the vehicle into drive and turn the wheel hard left and pull forward approximately 2-3 inches. The moment I apply the foot brake, the electric parking brake engages by itself.

Additional Issue:
I have the Auto Door Lock feature enabled, which is supposed to lock the doors automatically when you exit the vehicle, but it doesn't. Yes, I'm taking the FOB with me when I exit. No idea what the problem is.

Last edited by richnors; 12-28-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Update information
Old 10-29-2014, 01:05 AM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by richnors
We have 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited (since end of April). We tow it behind our motor home. We have had at least 4 occasions where the electronic parking brake has come on. Once we had just connected it to our motor home. My wife and I both looked to ensure the brake was off, yet when we started towing the jeep to get on to the interstate, I felt the jeep swaying and looked in the rear view camera on the MH to see the tires smoking and jeep swaying. We had to purchase new rear tires to continue our trip. The most recent one was when I was backing the jeep (not connected to the motor home) at home and the brake came on automatically. I know now there have been other times that it has happened and I just thought it was something I did.

Have taken it to the dealer and of course they cannot duplicate the problem so they are just saying it is probably caused from the wiring harness that allows the brake lights to work the same as the MH lights when towing. I will disconnect these lights and carry them back at some point, but do not think that is it.

If anyone else is having this problem please let me know!
i have that also. and no it does not work.. the button on the handle also makes the brake lights flash when sprayed with water.. anyone else notice this? or have this happen?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
the button on the handle also makes the brake lights flash when sprayed with water.. anyone else notice this? or have this happen?
I use a spray it yourself car wash and yes the lights flash when you spray either passenger or driver door handle, no big deal.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Year: 1997/2014
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6

Originally Posted by GCWIMMER
I use a spray it yourself car wash and yes the lights flash when you spray either passenger or driver door handle, no big deal.
I would imagine that is because the water is mimicking your hand touching the sensor to unlock the door. It shouldn't happen if the key fob isn't close by, i.e. when its raining and you are inside.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 PM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by lighttoast
I would imagine that is because the water is mimicking your hand touching the sensor to unlock the door. It shouldn't happen if the key fob isn't close by, i.e. when its raining and you are inside.
the flashing has gotten the attention of some hotties at the wash, even though its annoying... it still has some perks.. lol
Old 04-06-2021, 04:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Auto brake engage

Originally Posted by enoctis

Scenario:

Additional Issue:
Hi: I gave a 2015 Cherokee. I notice the brakes engage when backing out the driveway. I think, if it detects motion, it holds the brakes as an anti roll function. As if you stopped at a light going uphill, foot on the brake, but you rolled back a bit. The the back brakes engage, and you need to push it with the throttle, it seems, for them to release. Happens to me all the time..
Old 04-08-2021, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2L V6

Not sure if it is the same but my 2019 Cherokee will engage the "parking brake" if I do not have my seat belt connected (must manually turn off the parking brake). Here is the example: I get in the Jeep, do not connect seat belt, go the move the Jeep forward (I do have it set to disengage parking brake when shifter is moved from P to any other shift point R-D with my seat belt connected) Jeep will not disengage park brake. If you have a similar set up, you may be unbuckled and trying to move your Jeep, thus the parking brake will not dis-engage. Just a thought... If I remember, next time I'm driving, I'll try it and let you know what I find.