KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Clunk when touching the gas while coasting

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Clunk when touching the gas while coasting

I have a brand new 2019 Cherokee 4x4 limited with V6. When coasting or cruising from 30-40 MPH If I touch the gas there is a single clunk like a plastic deep sounding part. Has anyone noticed this on theirs? I think its only when the A/C is on, but I think I heard it with A/C off today.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 2019 Cherokee
I have a brand new 2019 Cherokee 4x4 limited with V6. When coasting or cruising from 30-40 MPH If I touch the gas there is a single clunk like a plastic deep sounding part. Has anyone noticed this on theirs? I think its only when the A/C is on, but I think I heard it with A/C off today.

My 2014 does the same....no idea why.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 PM

Thanks. I never hear it when I'm in sport mode. Just the normal mode. Has yours been doing it since it was new?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:04 PM

Thanks. I never hear it when I'm in sport mode. Just the normal mode. Has yours been doing it since it was new?
No - Just started around 35K miles
Old 08-22-2018, 08:20 AM

Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2L

Just picked up my 2019 and noticed the same thing... right around 30-40 if I press the pedal after coasting, it'll clunk. Glad I'm not the only one. And yeah, seems to only happen when A/C is on. Will file it under normal since it's not just me.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:03 PM

I've gotten used to it. At first I thought it was only with A/C on, then only with auto start/stop on, but actually its most of the time. I don't feel it, just hear it, and everything works great. I finally decided it's normal. Especially after viewing some Weber State University automotive tech youtubes about the insides of the 9 Speed transmission, it wouldn't surprise me to hear some noises. I'm just going to enjoy the new vehicle now.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L

Both my 2014 and 2016 do this, while it might not be ideal its normal
Old 08-27-2018, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68
Both my 2014 and 2016 do this, while it might not be ideal its normal

Normal? How do you know this is normal? Mine didn't do this when newer. Only started around 40K miles. :-(
Old 08-27-2018, 05:12 PM

I was hoping this thread would help figure out what's normal. or at least what is common and if it ever got worse. I'd like to hear from people either way. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2018, 03:13 AM

yes, prior to it failing completely this week, my 2014 4cyl.. it had many issues pertaining to the drive system , like the message popping up saying the 4x4 was not available, the clunking sound, then the whining noise, now its grinding.. the mechanics could not recreate the error messages during this process, i guess they didnt test drive it enough... what happens when this took place and the warning lights come on for 1 event, the key cycles clear out bugs, so it detected and cleared its self during the slow breaking down process... my axles are shot and now starting to do the grind... the transmission is having issues and it all started with that dull clunk and graduated to this.. i will be taking mine in this weekend to start the drive train warranty process... good thing we have a lifetime warranty as long as you take it in for annual inspections and not go past 5 yrs with out inspection, you will maintain your lifetime drive train warranty... (i may be preaching to the choir about warranties)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by guitar54
No - Just started around 35K miles

im at 50k and mines acting a fool, its the drive train for sure.. take it on in.. make em fix it..
Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 PM

Engine: 3.2
Default Clunk when touching the gas while coasting

Mine does the same thing. 2019 V6 4X4. At 1400 miles I took it back to the dealer. They replaced the left front axle and CV joint. Drove it home today, same thing. Mine does it between 30 and 45. When I let off the gas I here a slight knock, when I step back on the gas from coasting it is a little louder. Makes the same sound turned off, in park when you rock it slightly forward and back. Sounds to me like too wide a tolerance parts in the tranny trying to fit together. I was hoping somebody has found the solution on what to replace to fix it. Hopefully not the transmission.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM

I too have a new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited with a V6. Same situation, clunk after coasting then touching the accelerator in the 30 to 40 mph range. I do not view this as normal. I had many new vehicles over the years. I never had an issue like this unless there was a reason for it, ie, defective u-joint, loose tranny/engine mount etc. There are several of the same complaints just in this forum, it appears the problem is pervasive. I only have 700 miles on mine, it has been doing it from the git-go. Has anyone been to the dealer yet, complaining about it?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 PM

Engine: 3.2

As I mentioned in my post of 09-19-18 I took mine back to the dealer and they replaced the front left axle and CV joint, no joy. I took it back today and the service tech took it for a drive with me in the car. Thank goodness it made the noise several times while he was driving. He said he was going to call Chrysler with a "star report"? I guess that is when they call the engineers to see if there is a known solution. Right now they are being cooperative and helpful. Hopefully it stays that way.

I've noticed it does when the RPMs are below 1700. Speed usually between 30 and 45 but have heard over 50 if the revs are low. Does not do it in sport mode probably because it revs so high in that mode.

Mr. 2019 Cherokee do you have any news on your problem?
Crossover is yours a 4X4?
shockz any new news on yours, is it a V6 limited 4X4, have you had it looked at?

No brand new vehicle that costs this much should clunk when you drive it. We need to press to get it fixed.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 19KL
As I mentioned in my post of 09-19-18 I took mine back to the dealer and they replaced the front left axle and CV joint, no joy. I took it back today and the service tech took it for a drive with me in the car. Thank goodness it made the noise several times while he was driving. He said he was going to call Chrysler with a "star report"? I guess that is when they call the engineers to see if there is a known solution. Right now they are being cooperative and helpful. Hopefully it stays that way.

I've noticed it does when the RPMs are below 1700. Speed usually between 30 and 45 but have heard over 50 if the revs are low. Does not do it in sport mode probably because it revs so high in that mode.

Mr. 2019 Cherokee do you have any news on your problem?
Crossover is yours a 4X4?
shockz any new news on yours, is it a V6 limited 4X4, have you had it looked at?

No brand new vehicle that costs this much should clunk when you drive it. We need to press to get it fixed.
Yes, I have V6, 4x4, Limited

Quick Reply: Clunk when touching the gas while coasting