KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Beginner question about 2-speed 4X4 Switch 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2018
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2 L V6
Default Beginner question about 2-speed 4X4 Switch 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk

I hope this is the right forum. If not just let me know where I should be. Thanks! Incidentally I don't know how to decipher the two-letter codes like "XJ" or "KL". How do I know which one I have?
I just bought a used 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk yesterday and this is my first Jeep, other than the ones I drove and rode in in the Army. I have been trying to find an explanation that makes sense for the "Selec-Terrain" buttons. The two selections on the left make sense. The top one is the 4WD Low and the bottom appears to be the Rear Lock, which locks the rear axle so that both rear wheels are always getting power. But the two buttons on the right that look like ducks aren't clear to me. When and why and how would you use them and what do they do?
Thanks for your patience with a newbie and for your help.

Last edited by BullRhino; 12-18-2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Left something off.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

XJ= 84 to 01 amazing box on wheels

KL= 2014 to present. Not a box on wheels

those arent ducks that's a speedometer over a Jeep. The top one is hill decent control and the bottom one is I believe crawl control control. Think of it as off road cruise control
Old 12-18-2018, 09:38 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by downs
XJ= 84 to 01 amazing box on wheels

KL= 2014 to present. Not a box on wheels

those arent ducks that's a speedometer over a Jeep. The top one is hill decent control and the bottom one is I believe crawl control control. Think of it as off road cruise control

Thanks for the reply. Sure look like ducks to me. Curious how you operate the "off road cruise control". In other words how do you set the speed etc. The manual sure doesn't seem very clear on it to me. Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2018, 06:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Google can help you figure a lot of these things out. I dont have a KL and have never driven one so the things I'm posting here are from internet searches

Selec-Speed Control
  • Adds Hill Descent and Hill Ascent Controls
  • Is activated by a dedicated button on the Selec-Terrain switch
  • Allows the driver to select the target speed, ranging from 1 to 5 miles per hour, by adjusting the +/- shifter input
  • *Is only available while the vehicle is in 4Low
  • Allows the Cherokee to climb and descend steep grades with minimal driver input
  • Enables the driver to focus on steering while navigating technical off-road terrain
  • Is available on all 4WD models (not just the Trailhawk we drove)
  • The Hill Descent feature uses braking to aid in vehicle control when going downhill
  • The Hill Ascent feature uses the throttle on inclines
This link includes a video

http://blog.autostarusa.com/selec-speed-control/
Old 12-19-2018, 11:37 AM

I searched and watched several videos before posting this question. Never saw this video. It was not a great video as far as showing the real purpose and operation because even the driver and apparently the guy taking the video did not even know the ins and outs of operating it. I guess I'll have to make my own when I get to Factory Butte in central Utah next month. By then I'll figure it out and make a much better video than any I have seen so far.

Thanks for linking me to this one and for the bullet points on it. Very helpful when put together with the manual and the vague and confusing instructions there.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L

Originally Posted by BullRhino
I hope this is the right forum. If not just let me know where I should be. Thanks! Incidentally I don't know how to decipher the two-letter codes like "XJ" or "KL". How do I know which one I have?
I just bought a used 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk yesterday and this is my first Jeep, other than the ones I drove and rode in in the Army. I have been trying to find an explanation that makes sense for the "Selec-Terrain" buttons. The two selections on the left make sense. The top one is the 4WD Low and the bottom appears to be the Rear Lock, which locks the rear axle so that both rear wheels are always getting power. But the two buttons on the right that look like ducks aren't clear to me. When and why and how would you use them and what do they do?
Thanks for your patience with a newbie and for your help.

The 4x4 low button puts the vehicle in 4x4 low just like a part time 4x4 system so don't use it on the road or high traction surfaces.
The Rear locker is a selectable rear electronic locking diff, it can only be enabled in 4-low.

The other 2 buttons you are reffering to are
1. Hill decent control, which available in 4-low controls your speed down hill (you can control how fast)
2. Selec Speed control, which is available in 4-low is basically offroad cruise control, you set it at a certain speed and it will crawl along at that speed.