KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Apple Car Play Help in 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old 03-12-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Apple Car Play Help in 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Can anyone assist with Apple Car Play with my UConnect system. I was promised we would have Car Play and I haven't seen it in the form of a software update. Maybe the software is compatible and it's the hardware where the USB plugs into that's not compatible with Car Play?

Does anyone know how to get my car working with Apple Car Play? I've given up on Jeep getting mine to work.

FYI. I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 Limited. See picture where USB plugs in.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Sorry, I don't see any Jeep product listed: http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/
Old 03-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Nope... the new U Connect 8.4A/8.4N systems that debuted in the new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica use a new redesigned interface and therefore adding Android Auto and Apple Car Play to the "older" (2013-2016) U Connect 8.4A/8.4N systems isn't possible. Trust me, I want to do it to my 2014 GC with the 8.4N.

Maybe if Android Auto and Apply Car Play become available (the new system) in the GC, it'll entail just swapping out the touch screen for the new version (you just have to pull apart the center console, people have swapped out their U Connect 5.0's for the U Connect 8.4A and 8.4N.

However, you MIGHT have Siri EyesFree capabilities so you can use Siri while driving to send texts and pretty much everything Siri can do on your iPhone. If you don't have it, you can do a software update by going here: https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/ and typing in your VIN to see when your system was last updated. Even if your system was updated with software to prevent hacking back in 2015, that doesn't necessarily mean that Siri EyesFree was also added at that time. You'll need a USB stick that has nothing on it ("Flash Drive") (site will tell you what you need exactly), and you'll insert it into that USB port and sit in your Jeep while it updates the software, and U Connect will restart after it's complete (I believe there's a progress bar on the screen while it's doing the update). Then you'll be able to press and hold the VR button on the steering wheel for a few seconds until you hear Siri's double beep and then you can speak to her just like you would on your iPhone. IMO Siri EyesFree is just as good as having Apple CarPlay, as if you're looking for complete voice activation of your phone, then Siri EyesFree is your solution.

Hope this helps,

Vince
Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

I transferred my tunes from a PC to an SD card and it's plugged in and flush and works flawlessly. So, if you can get them on a PC and do that, your good to go.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by MoToad
I transferred my tunes from a PC to an SD card and it's plugged in and flush and works flawlessly. So, if you can get them on a PC and do that, your good to go.
I think they want integration of their iPhone into their UConnect system.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Exactly, and I can see the benefits behind that. Unfortunately, it's not supported by Apple--not sure who is to blame for that. But as it stands right no, it's a "no."
Old 03-25-2017, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Watchful
Exactly, and I can see the benefits behind that. Unfortunately, it's not supported by Apple--not sure who is to blame for that. But as it stands right no, it's a "no."
Yeah as I mentioned above, the Jeep Compass (the new one that just went on sale) and some of the "newer" Chrysler products (Chrysler 300/Pacifica/Pacifica Hybrid and Dodge Challenger/Charger) are the ONLY ones that have the "new" U Connect 8.4A and 8.4AN radios, both of which have different part numbers than the RA3 and RA4 respectively, but ALL 8.4A and 8.4AN radios WILL support Siri EyesFree with a software update, so Siri will work through the speakers.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Infotainment offers 2014-2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee GPS Navigation 8.4 4C NAV UAQ Radio with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto with bezel if needed