KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

6 week KL Review/Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.4 L
Default 6 week KL Review/Experience

I have had my Cherokee for six weeks and about 1,200 trouble free miles.

I took it for a spin in the snow the evening of Jan 2 after several inches fell to test the FWD, 4 cylinder Latitude with Firestone Winterforce tires.

Cars were slipping and sliding and generally getting stuck everywhere. I drove down one street, a fairly steep hill. There was a truck (GMC) stuck off to the side. I circled around to approach from the opposite direction and now there where two SUVs stuck (a Ford couldn't make the climb). I came to a dead stop on the incline and waited for the Ford to turn around and then I proceeded to climb right up the hill. That earned a few stares.

Earlier, I passed a car going in the opposite direction trying to climb a hill at the end of my street. When I came back around a little later, the same car was off in the woods with one wheel up in the air. I stopped to offer aid, but the young lady assured me she was okay and that help was on the way. She was in a brand new Lexus sedan. Front bumper was ripped off and possibly the right front wheel damaged. She apparently made it up the hill, but didn't do to good on the downside and the 90 degree turn to the left at the bottom.

The next morning my wife and I had to depart early for our winter vacation in north central PA. By this time there was close to 8" of snow on the ground and the streets of Philly notoriously lousy. I had no trouble getting moving and up the hills. (Once I crossed out of city limits, the roads where much better.)

The trip was mostly highway driving. On hard packed snow or slushy roads at speed the Cherokee always kept moving along. The heater kept us warm as the outside temps dropped to the single digits and we cruised in comfort. MPG averaged mid 20s with my winter tires, steadily increasing elevation and our load of cargo.

In the higher elevations, the 2.4 L engine took us up the moutains with ease. On the twisting back roads it handled great in the adverse conditions. Once we reached our destination the Jeep went right up our unplowed driveway.

I put on about 700 miles during our trip. On the way home temps climbed to near 60 and we hit really heavy rain but the Jeep kept its course.

Don't be fooled. The KL is not a car dressed up like an SUV. It is heavy and solid and if you get chance to test drive one you'll see for yourself. Mine weighs in at around 3,800 lbs. I traded a 2013 Dart for the KL which the KL is based on and shares some DNA. I difference quite noticeable.
My wife appreciated the comfort of the Dart and I liked the MPG but we both missed the ride height of a Jeep. (The Dart replaced a modestly lifted JK Unlimited.) The KL is a good mix of comfort, economy and on/off road performance. I expect to get better MPG when I switch back to the stock all-season tires.

Last edited by priell3; 01-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 AM

Year: 2001

Thanks for the update...I personally am not a fan quite yet not sure if ill ever be...but to each there own and its good to hear some real world input from people who ger out there and drive the miles glad your enjoying your jeep
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Someone has an sporty looking model KL around here. Flat black hood, red recovery hooks up front, black wheels. It doesn't look half bad really.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tony_SS
Someone has an sporty looking model KL around here. Flat black hood, red recovery hooks up front, black wheels. It doesn't look half bad really.
That would be a Trailhawk model.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

I like the color.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Still not a fan if how it looks, and from what I understand they are already puking transmissions because the 9 speed is constantly hunting for a gear. If I really wanted economy, towing, room and capability I would just get a 4 door JK or a really clean XJ and have a Cummins 4BT swapped in, then it would see close to 30mpg and still be everything a Jeep needs to be for me.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:58 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by snopro700
Still not a fan if how it looks, and from what I understand they are already puking transmissions because the 9 speed is constantly hunting for a gear. If I really wanted economy, towing, room and capability I would just get a 4 door JK or a really clean XJ and have a Cummins 4BT swapped in, then it would see close to 30mpg and still be everything a Jeep needs to be for me.

Where did you get your info on the transmissions?

Can any of the KL owners here substantiate the claims made by snopro700?
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM

Some owners on JeepCherokeeClub have reported tranny issues most of which have been corrected with a software update.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by priell3
Some owners on JeepCherokeeClub have reported tranny issues most of which have been corrected with a software update.
So the comment regarding puking transmissions is inaccurate then?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since release(this is what I got from the dealer) the tranny has been called in twice for re-programming.
Also found out yesterday that the Trailhawk has a locker, but it only works in 4-low.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 AM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

From what i understand, there was a known problem in the transmission software before the release of the kl but they decided to release it anyways, then have them all called back to the dealer for a reflash once the new software was out. I just cant see the transmissions lasting in them. Gm had similar problems with torque converters a few years back. And I personally own a 2014 GMC sierra with the 6 speed auto. The transmission is constantly shifting, i could only imagine what it would be like with 3 more gears
Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 AM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by highmileage
Since release(this is what I got from the dealer) the tranny has been called in twice for re-programming.
Also found out yesterday that the Trailhawk has a locker, but it only works in 4-low.
As stupid as the 4 low locker thing sounds, its to save the dealership of warranty work. Because we all know, if they dont have a system like that, some idiot will go on their daily commute with the lockers engaged then wonder why the whole driveline is destroyed.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by jeep19xj91
From what i understand, there was a known problem in the transmission software before the release of the kl but they decided to release it anyways, then have them all called back to the dealer for a reflash once the new software was out. I just cant see the transmissions lasting in them. Gm had similar problems with torque converters a few years back. And I personally own a 2014 GMC sierra with the 6 speed auto. The transmission is constantly shifting, i could only imagine what it would be like with 3 more gears
Nope. They did a software update on every one of them before shipment. That's why it was delayed release.

Since then, I imagine they've had some further updates.

Who says they're constantly shifting?

Any input from you folks who OWN one?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

My cousin works at the local Jeep-Nissan dealer...he's a parts manager but gets all the inside stuff from mechanics etc...yeah they reprogrammed them, but still seem to be constantly hunting for a gear. That's the biggest issue at the moment, they've already had a couple come in for warranty work just at that particular dealer.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

priell3, nice review of your KL. The more of these KLs I see on the road, the more they grow on me.

Quick Reply: 6 week KL Review/Experience