KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Cherokee - Media Card Help

Old 10-29-2017, 04:55 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 2018 Cherokee - Media Card Help

So, I just bought my wife a new 2018 Cherokee. Trying to figure out the media card function. I loaded up a compact flash card and popped it into the media card slot. It popped up and started playing just fine. The problem is that it alphabetized the songs by title. She's trying to listen to a movie soundtrack, and the song order is critical. Is there a way to change the way it sorts the music?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

That's typical. Generally, the fix is to rename the files on the SD card sequentially. For example:
1 - Intro.mp3
2 - Climax.mp3
3 - Credits.mp3
Old 10-29-2017, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown View Post
That's typical. Generally, the fix is to rename the files on the SD card sequentially. For example:
1 - Intro.mp3
2 - Climax.mp3
3 - Credits.mp3
Glad someone has their thinking cap on.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 AM

Actually - all the songs are listed that way (01-xxx, 02-xxx, 03-xxx, etc), but the media sort drops the leading numbers for some reason and alphabetizes them by letter. I did find a workaround. I had to create a Playlist file (.m3u extension) in each folder that lists the songs in proper order, then I can play the playlists in the Jeep. Took most of the afternoon, but finally got it done.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

What about the prefix of:

AAA
AAB
AAC
AAD
etc....
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

The discrepancy may be the difference between the song title in the ID3 tag versus the actual file name with the .mp3 extension.

Regardless, in glad it worked for you. Not all vehicles read .m3u, and I was uncertain whether yours would
Old 10-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

I had none of those problems. Put all my songs on the SD card (Windows, all mp3s). Plugged it in and the onboard software lets me play what I want thru the Browser button.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Just make a playlist with the tracks in whatever order you like (file names won't matter.) Use a standard .m3u playlist file format and put the playlist file(s) in the main music directory. The file location listed in the playlist file should match the directory structure on your memory card of course. After you do this you can select your playlists using the 'Browse' button. This way you can group songs however you like (as well as control track order), a virtual necessity for a large music library.

Last edited by nocaps; 02-28-2018 at 11:30 AM.