SOCAL JEEP Noob !

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default SOCAL JEEP Noob !

I just picked up my first truck/jeep its a 1986 XJ 4wd 4door 5spd v6, i dont know much about these cars or offroading as i have always been into road racing. On the drive home from purchasing it (san diego to orange county) the check engine light came on and off a few times and it died on me as i slowed down to a stop. I saw leaking fuel in the bay but dont know where to start if its hoses or what. when i would accelerate slowly i wouldn't have a problem and it drove very nice but if i went WOT it would studder for a little im assuming its related to my fueling problem.Hopefully i can figure it out tomorrow when its bright out and get it running right. any suggestions on things i should change/check ?

When it comes to offroading im a complete noob i have good car control but ive only been once in an old toyota and drove this **** of it to where i broke a leafspring and the tach. i really have no idea on the do's and donts of offroading and things like when/how to use the 4wd low or high

few questions
- any common problems / preventative maintenance
- is this the best XJ forum or are there other more active ones ?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GreatGabriel
I just picked up my first truck/jeep its a 1986 XJ 4wd 4door 5spd v6, i dont know much about these cars or offroading as i have always been into road racing. On the drive home from purchasing it (san diego to orange county) the check engine light came on and off a few times and it died on me as i slowed down to a stop. I saw leaking fuel in the bay but dont know where to start if its hoses or what. when i would accelerate slowly i wouldn't have a problem and it drove very nice but if i went WOT it would studder for a little im assuming its related to my fueling problem.Hopefully i can figure it out tomorrow when its bright out and get it running right. any suggestions on things i should change/check ?

When it comes to offroading im a complete noob i have good car control but ive only been once in an old toyota and drove this **** of it to where i broke a leafspring and the tach. i really have no idea on the do's and donts of offroading and things like when/how to use the 4wd low or high

few questions
- any common problems / preventative maintenance
- is this the best XJ forum or are there other more active ones ?
Hello and Welcome!!

First thing you should do is a basic tune-up (plugs, wires, dist/cap, oil, trans fluid, rad fluid, etc. Also get that CEL light looked at to see what code its giving.

And yes, this IS the best XJ forum, though NAXJA is pretty good as well.