Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993, 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Second Day of Ownership...

Hello all!

Took me 2 days to find your fine establishment. Hopefully I'll eventually become a constructive member of the community, but I'm sure for the next few months I'll ask some incredibly stupid questions and just get on everyone's nerves in general.

One of my coworkers, I suppose he's my boss, decided it was time to upgrade to a new car after 15 years. His previous vehicle, a '93 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0L High Output engine, was getting a bit long in the tooth. 184k miles long, actually. Anyway, I've been driving an older ('98) BMW 323is for the last year and a half, which is in need of some suspension love. I decided to pursue the Jeep as a purchase for a second vehicle, since as a new home owner, it's hard to make Lowes runs in a BMW. Well, now the BMW sits in the garage waiting to be sold, and the Jeep sits in the driveway waiting for the BMW to go (or me to move stuff so it can go in the garage too). I decided that 2 vehicles is more than I need, especially when I can sell one and pay off a bunch of debt.

She's a 1993 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L High Output, with the 4-speed automatic. I've got just about every repair receipt from day one (including the "vehicle prep" checklist), which is quite awesome. The previous owner is somewhat obsessive compulsive, so the Jeep was immaculately maintained. There are no tears or stains in the upholstery, and everything works (although the intermittent wipers are iffy). I think I got a deal, since I paid less than KBB for it, at $1200. He got more than Carmax was going to give him, so he's happy.

I'm quite happy with the purchase, although 4wd would have been nice. 2wd is more than adequate for Florida, though... usually. I forgot how much I missed my old Dakota, it's nice to be able to see over things. Although now I have a feeling I'm going to get tasked with lunch-runs at work (I'm the only one with a 4-door, now).

I've got a few issues and some questions, which I'll post in the Cherokee subforum soon enough. It's kind of funny, my little brother also owns a Jeep. He bought a '96 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 about 2 years ago, now. It's got a lot less miles than my '93, and full-time 4wd, but it's not in nearly as good of shape. It was previously a New York vehicle, so it's got rust. My Florida/Georgia vehicle has none, not to mention my interior is intact and the bumpers aren't falling off.

That's not to say it's perfect, though. It needs some work. The spark plugs are 2 years old, and were last replaced at 169,068 miles in January of '06, as was the ignition coil. The cap/rotor and wires, though, are even older. They were last done in '04 at 164,378 miles. Needless to say, I pulled the plugs to check them. They are rough, pretty badly worn (one had a .047 gap!). I cleaned them up and regapped them for now, which helped the hard start issue when cold. The wires are crappy too, I had to cut and repair the #6 wire after it pulled apart on me. The valve cover gasket is totally fried, so I've got a new one of those to put on tomorrow.

Hope you guys are welcoming of your retarded 2WD brethren.

Last edited by CodeXJ; 10-04-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Wow one of the cleanest older Xjs That I have seen in awhile. Nothing wrong with 2WD as long as you don't use it in the mud or woods to frequently.
By the way Welcome to CF from TEXAS.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Wow one of the cleanest older Xjs That I have seen in awhile. Nothing wrong with 2WD as long as you don't use it in the mud or woods to frequently.
By the way Welcome to CF from TEXAS.

Thanks! She is clean, probably the biggest reason I picked her up, that and the stack of paperwork that came along with it. I'm probably going to kick myself in the future for not getting a 4wd, though. Maybe when the engine finally decides to give up, I'll pick up a wrecked donor and do a swap... or just pick up a 4wd XJ in the future if a good deal comes up.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from OK! Man that is clean!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

wow thats is one shinny XJ.. welcome
Old 10-05-2008, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to CF from Va. Nice Jeep!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CF from COS!!

Check with JeepersCreepers, he did a 2wd to 4wd swap, and could help if you want 4x4 down the road.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by CodeXJ
Thanks! She is clean, probably the biggest reason I picked her up, that and the stack of paperwork that came along with it. I'm probably going to kick myself in the future for not getting a 4wd, though. Maybe when the engine finally decides to give up, I'll pick up a wrecked donor and do a swap... or just pick up a 4wd XJ in the future if a good deal comes up.
Check Jeepers Creepers build of a 2WD to a 4WD. He is in Orlando. He can offer many pointers for the swap. Maybe you guys need to get together for a beer and discuss it.