Noob from VA Beach!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '98
Model: Cherokee
Default Noob from VA Beach!

Hello all!

After years of saying "I'd like to snag one of those box Cherokees one of these days", I finally snagged one. '98 SE 5spd man with 150K. I was looking and looking and looking- hoping for a manual in good cond...ugh...every manual I ran across was beat to hell and back. Was about to pull trigger on a 98 Sport- auto trans and a bit more than I wanted to spend- when the SE popped up at a local indy dealer. Single family owned in VA Beach since being purchased new. Def needs some TLC, but I wanted something that would be a bit of a fix up proj over time, and it is mechanically sound and well taken care of in that dept.

Have yet to search on the forum, as I'm sure there's a ton of helpful info on this, but I am exp an excessively rough ride. I've had lifted 4x4 vehicles before, and I am well aware of the fact that they ride a bit raw on pavement- I have no problem with that and actually prefer a bit of a rough ride- but this thing is exhibiting some undesirable clunking, and shaking like a twerking meth-head when it encounters even minor bumps.

It has a professionally installed Rough Country lift- it has been looked at by a mechanic friend, and he assured me that it's installed soundly and everything is tight- ball joints etc all look really good. There is a good bit of play in the sway bar end links as a result of the bushings wearing, and I'm guessing this is at the very least a main culprit in the testy behavior. I'm going to start with replacing the end links/bushings, get it re-aligned as the alignment seems a bit off, and see what that does on it's own.

Any suggestions on good brand(s) and where to online order quality parts at reasonable prices for this stuff would be appreciated, as well as any add'l input anyone has on their exp with this type of issue.

Love driving this Jeep, and anxious to get it dialed in a bit and really enjoy it.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum. My uncle lives in va beach.

I'm betting your death wobble got something to do with the track bar. Check it out
Old 09-16-2014, 11:03 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the site!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:17 AM

Year: '98

Thanks to all 2 of you that replied.

Seriously though, I appreciate the welcomes.

I would appreciate a few suggestions on good brands for end links and bushings. I did a bit of research here and noticed that several brands seem to be popular- Moog, Skyjacker, Pro Comp, etc... Would like to hear from personal exp what seems to be the most preferred- tried and true brands, polyurethane vs. thermoplastic bushings, etc..., what brands to stay away from, etc.

Thanks- and obviously, if it would be more beneficial to post this in the tech section, I can give that a shot as well.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I was just about to write my own introduction, but then saw your VA Beach one. I am also a local to VB and a fellow XJ owner. Glad to see another local on here. Hopefully I will see you out on the trails. Check out www.Where2Wheel.com for places to go wheelin in and around VB.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site