Noob from New Hampshire.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Noob from New Hampshire.

Hello folks. I'm obviously new here to these forums and to the Cherokee in general. I'm looking to make my first buy tomorrow. A 98 Cherokee Sport with 174k miles on it. Seller seems like an honest guy, with a lot of work into the Jeep. Best part is, he claims no rot. Which is awesome. Says it's his daily driver and wouldn't put his family in it if it weren't safe. Just passed NH State inspections last month. Looking forward to it.

Says the radio is broken though. Might have to do some scrap picking and find a new one (factory), or make a trip to Best Buy.

Any thoughts, comments, or word of advice?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds pretty cool. I'm in Salem NH, was looking for an XJ. Kinda hard to find a solid one around these parts. Ended up buying a 97 Grand which I love. Welcome to the site.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

welcome to the site
i no first hand it took me 7 months to find one worth buying and im not too far from you. anyways, check the floors where the rockers meet them. the rockers might be solid, but sometimes it'll rust out on the other side of that little pinch seam and can hide from you a little. but you can usually feel it. and another common spot it the floor by the rear hatch. right near the bumper or on top of where the gas tank is. anyways, keep us posted and again welcome to CF

Last edited by K2dark_xj; 02-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Good luck on your purchase.

Name:  10mnc4m.gif
Views: 15
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

UPDATE:

Got the Jeep. It's very solid. Did notice a few minor issues. As stated the Radio doesn't work. Rear stero taken out. There's a nice dose of surface rust in the undercarriage. Nothing seemed like it's caused any structural damage. Probably hit it with a good wire scrub and seal this summer. However the exhaust is new. I think he said he put on a Walker exhaust system, whatever that means. It's new and shiny.

Could use some new rear shocks. felt a little too bouncy. Engine compartment was clean. Only fluid leak was minor, from the oil pan (gasket). Rocker panels are mint. Guessing they were new, or salvaged. No rust/holes in the body. New Hampshire Jeep though, so it's got some dings and scratches. Nothing major to speak of. Uh... New starter, alternator, battery, front axle hub U-joints... This guy seemed like he took good care of his vehicles. I noticed everything was dated and labeled. Even his oil filter was dated with a sharpie marker.

Drove it for about an hour and ten minutes... No engine lights. The engine was a lot quieter then I thought it was going to be. Turned right over very strong as well. Doesn't need an alignment, transmission appears to be top notch (As in no delays or hang-ups when shifting). Gauges all work, oil pressure good. Doesn't overheat. Over all I'm satisfied with the purchase.

My only concern is when the 4x4 is engaged, shifting from neutral (on the 4x4 stick) into 4H there's what sounds like a slight pinch or grind. Doesn't do it down shifting or when going into 4L. Just from neutral back up to 4H. Not too familiar with 4x4's yet, maybe this is something major or nothing at all.

Came with some massive Goodyear tires. I'd say about 80% tread too. I'm going to be changing a few things as time goes on. I can't stand rust, so I'm going to get rid of that the best I can. If anyone can suggest a technique or materials for this job. Probably find a stock or aftermarket radio/rear speakers.

Will take more pictures upon request.

Paid $2,100 for it. Good deal???

Last edited by KJamesJR; 02-09-2012 at 09:46 PM.