New owner - older Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2011
Model: Grand Cherokee(WK2)
Engine: 5.7 liter
Default New owner - older Grand Cherokee

I have owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee (2000 model) for a long time, but recently upgraded to a low mileage 2011 version. I am trying to learn all the new electronic features as I go. We recently took it on an extended road trip, which went quite well.
I initially had a problem with the liftgate opening randomly. A new key fob seems to have solved that. But I do have numerous questions that I need help with. I'll start with a couple, and go from there.
1) I have the 5.7 liter hemi - I presume the MDS feature is part of all of these engines? Is there some indicator that shows when this feature is being used?
2) I soon will need new tires. Any suggestions as to a non-aggresive, quiet tire for a moderate price?
3) I seem to find conflicting information as to the recommended oil change interval. What is the actual recommendation?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dailydriver1
I have owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee (2000 model) for a long time, but recently upgraded to a low mileage 2011 version. I am trying to learn all the new electronic features as I go. We recently took it on an extended road trip, which went quite well.
I initially had a problem with the liftgate opening randomly. A new key fob seems to have solved that. But I do have numerous questions that I need help with. I'll start with a couple, and go from there.
1) I have the 5.7 liter hemi - I presume the MDS feature is part of all of these engines? Is there some indicator that shows when this feature is being used?
2) I soon will need new tires. Any suggestions as to a non-aggresive, quiet tire for a moderate price?
3) I seem to find conflicting information as to the recommended oil change interval. What is the actual recommendation?

Thanks!
First of all.. welcome to the family and forum.
As for tires... there are several good threads on here that discuss different tires. If you do a simple "tire" search on here, you will find them. And then can read up on exactly what you're looking for and ask questions.... and get answers too. There are several active members on here that are in the automotive tire industry, so can really speak to the different models/brands.
As for recommended oil changes.... your OEM owner's manual should show exactly what is recommended by the manufacturer.
Most of us, even with our older Jeeps, using conventional oils tend to go between 3-5k. And those using full synthetic a little longer.
Me personally, I use a full synthetic oil, and I still go about 3-5k. Even though the synth. doesn't break down as fast, it still gets dirty with contaminants.
For the other things, just poke around and ask questions. We're a friendly bunch on here.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome!

Welcome aboard!

***Don't forget to sign up to WIN ONE OF TWO custom built Jeeps! Enter Here >>> https://goo.gl/gUueoM

Here are some tips to get you started

10 Best Tips For a New Jeep Owner

We now offer financing for your jeep parts! TRAIL NOW. PAY LATER
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE

If you need anything please let us know! We also offer special forum discounts! -- We are here for you.
Feel Free to check out our page>>

Morris 4x4