New to jeeps, new to wheeling...just new >

New to jeeps, new to wheeling...just new

New to jeeps, new to wheeling...just new

Old 08-16-2018, 03:19 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default New to jeeps, new to wheeling...just new

Hey all, name is Shane, and I live about an hour east of atlanta. Been creeping on the site for quite awhile figured I'd show my face. Recently picked up a 2001 XJ to dive into the world of wheelin. Love being outside, huntin, camping and what have you so figured why not. So I got this 01 with 210k miles for $600. Guy used as daily driver, was gunna custom fab a new dash, shop burned down with factory dash sitting on floor, so had no dash at all, just steering wheel, gauge cluster, ac control panel, and fog lights/rear windshield wiper button cluster. No center console. So I went to pull a part next day, got a dash and center console had it installed that night, good to go. Since I've owned it, a year or so, its had a hard start issue, would always start just a long crank time. Eventually the starter went, replaced. Got what I'm assuming was the death wobble, replaced track bar and it went away. Then the alternator, replaced, just recently the a/c compressor, replaced, new purge solenoid while i was in there.. I've done the standard tune up, new belt, coil pack, plugs, filter, so forth. I knew having the mileage it had these things would happen so all is well. Supposedly a year or so before I bout it the guy had the rear end rebuilt and changed the water pump. The rear leafs sag, and when I replaced the tires I went ahead and got some pro comp 15x8 series 51? steel wheels. I feel pretty mechanically sound at this point...knock on wood, so I'm ready to move on with the lift. Now those new tires gave me a scrubbing issue so last week I cut the fenders, folded the rears and I no longer scrub, plus as I understand that will be necessary for the 33s I want with a 4.5 inch lift. So that's where I'm at and where I want to go at this point. I imagine yall will be seeing alot more from me to come. Anyone around my area shoot me a PM and thanks for the great forum!

When i 1st got it

Last edited by Shane Gomes; 08-16-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Welcome to the family.... and welcome to older Jeep ownership... just the way it is... but in the long run, most of the time it's worth the effort.
On your 01, if you haven't already... you might want to check what head you have on it. the '00 and '01s were prone to cracking and turning the motor into a milkshake.
But there are pretty inexpensive replacement ones out there that are pretty good.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:43 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I have checked, there is no stamp when I look thru oil fill. Going to assume it's the original one that's prone to cracking. I do get an intermittent CEL for #4 cylinder misfire. Should I make that my current priority? If so any suggestions as to where to find new head, what all exactly I need and round about cost for everything to replace myself. Thanks