New here, new to Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L 6IL
Talking New here, new to Cherokee

Well, just registered as I have become the new owner of a 1999 Jeep Cherokee down in Quito, Ecuador.

I have been working on my cars for 35+ years and forums are always a great source of information and guidance.

To start, I need help to identify the precise model. I know it is a 1999 Cherokee built in Venezuela. It is Automatic and has the 4.0L Engine.
It has the lever selection for 2WD and 4WD. 4 Doors and rear hatch. Spare in the rear cargo area. What I don't know if it is SJ, ??
I loaded an album with pictures inside and out. I tried to decode the SN but yielded strange results as it is an international SN.
Any guidance appreciated.

I will be reading around for a while. It seems to be running fine and has no immediate repairs needed. As Quito is up in the mountains, I want to make sure the transmission is working good, the 4WD operation is good. Suspension seems great. I will be looking to relocate the spare out of the trunk space if possible, maybe to the roof.

Thanks ahead for all the help. :-)

Sergio
Old 01-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Already noted it should be an XJ by the year (1999)

I think it is a Sport trim : A/C, aftermarket radio byut has speakers on all doors and upper rear balance facing forward that look OEM
Also note the wheels, not sure if OEM or aftermarket, seem OEM.
It has rear bumper distance warning, not sure if OEM.

Sorry, adding info to help ID.

Sergio
Old 01-13-2018, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0L

Welcome to the forum and the Jeep family... lots of good info to be had here... poke around and ask questions.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

From the look of yours, I'm fairly certain it's the Sport trim level. Looks similar to the Classic trim level, but unless someone (previous owner) has taken them off, the different trim models were badged as such. on the sides where it says "Cherokee" on the front doors, it would also say "Sport" or "Classic" as well as on the bottom of the rear hatch.

If it's been "debadged" by the previous owner, and you really want to know... if there is a Jeep dealer close to where you are, you could always just have them run the VIN and see what it was listed from the factory as, if it's not listed on your vehicle's title. Not sure if they use actual titles in Ecuador. I just moved to the US from overseas and where I was, they did NOT have vehicle titles. Registration and your proof of ID was enough to prove ownership.

Regardless... the most important thing is that you have the 242 ci, I6 4.0. That is the most desirable of all the motors offered throughout the history of the XJ. Take care of it and that motor will go for a long, long time.

Last edited by RocketMouse; 01-13-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 PM

This is what I got so far for the VIN after visiting multiple web sites.
1st Position – COUNTRY : 8 Venezuela
2nd Position – MANUFACTURER Y Jeep
3rd Position – TYPE 4 MPV
4th Position – GVWR F 4001 – 5000 GVW
5th Position – LINE J Cherokee or Comanche – 4WD
6th Position – SERIES 7 Briarwood/Limited (Country?)
7th Position – BODY 8 4 Door Sport Utility
8th Position – ENGINE TYPE S 4.0 Litre, I-6
Mine sows a V here, unidentified so far V
9th Position – CHECK DIGIT (C?)
10th Position – MODEL YEAR X 1999
11th Position – ASSEMBLY PLANT 1 (Should stand for Valencia Plant)
12th thru 17th Position – SEQUENCE

As you can see they are not very precise on trim. I am wondering if that would come from the chasis ID
The car seems repainted to me, so they might have just applied the badges at hand and some might not have been found. Is alright.
I need to get under it and check for axle markings, tranny etc to make sure I identify them clearly. Because it is down in Ecuador, I might have to buy some parts here in the USA and bring them with me or ship them, and I have to make sure I get the exact part needed. You can find Jeep parts there, it will still help to identify precisely the parts needed. :-)

The engine starts and sounds great. It is my very first Jeep ever, but it seems a bit sluggish on the take off, specially on hills. It could be the automatic tranny is a bit tired..
I'll be reading up on that.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

What size tires do you have? That can make a difference if they are larger than stock. but the way they looked in your pics of her, they don't seem large enough to require re-gearing the differentials.

I was also going off of the interior for the trim level. In 99 I think the interior you have (if it's original) was offered in the Sport. Not sure on the Classic. Others could chime in.
You may have to take into consideration that other countries may list the trim package level differently than the US. She looks like a Sport or Classic to me... the wheels may or may not be original to the Jeep. In the US, those look like a design that was sold (new) as an option on the Grand Cherokees of the mid-late 1990s.
You have to remember that Jeeps don't drive like anything else you've probably owned. And the handling with a solid front axle is like driving a small tank. So keep that in mind. As long as it's shifting correctly you're probably okay. Just check the fluid and see if maybe it's time for a drain and fill with fresh stuff.
My XJ is my first Jeep as well. I've been wrenching on my vehicles for decades too. I've found that Jeeps are "needy" children.... when it comes to maintenance, but all vehicles need that... but the one really nice thing about older Jeeps like ours is that if you have the time, there really isn't anything you can't fix/do on them yourself, which can save a ton of money in the long run.

Last edited by RocketMouse; 01-13-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:23 PM

The tires are 235/75R15. I also noticed (looking in google images) the rims seem to be 15" Grand Cherokee rims. I need one center cap, or all 4 that say Jeep. :-) They do need a clean up.

The first thing I noticed on mine is the steering is super-easy. It seems well aligned (no pulling at all, even when brakes are applied). Quito has rough streets and lots of speed bumps, some quite high. Most taxis take them sideways. The Cherokee is a blessing to take those with no issue. $38 to fill the tank, gas is cheaper there.

It also states "Sport" on some of the paperwork I saw, and so far it seems accurate. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I will schedule a transmission fluid/filter refresh just to keep it in shape.

Sergio
Old 01-13-2018, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by slaponte
The tires are 235/75R15. I also noticed (looking in google images) the rims seem to be 15" Grand Cherokee rims. I need one center cap, or all 4 that say Jeep. :-) They do need a clean up.

The first thing I noticed on mine is the steering is super-easy. It seems well aligned (no pulling at all, even when brakes are applied). Quito has rough streets and lots of speed bumps, some quite high. Most taxis take them sideways. The Cherokee is a blessing to take those with no issue. $38 to fill the tank, gas is cheaper there.

It also states "Sport" on some of the paperwork I saw, and so far it seems accurate. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I will schedule a transmission fluid/filter refresh just to keep it in shape.

Sergio
No worries... that's why we're all here...
And just as a suggestion... especially having the AW4 auto trans.... if it shifts smooth and correctly now... do NOT have it flushed as part of the service. Only do a drain and fill. (filter if it needs it).
A flush on these can really cause issues afterwards. True with a drain and fill you don't get all of the fluid out in one go... but you do get a decent amount of it out. And you don't risk stirring up sediment that has settled in crevasses that will get up into the clutch packs, etc. and cause massive issues.
Basically, if you already have issues with the trans, that's one thing...but if you don't... it's not worth the risk, because it could result in a rebuild. Very costly.

I wish fuel was cheaper here in the US...but I just moved from where it averaged 1.40 per litre (petrol)... so I still don't feel so bad.
Lot's of people there converted their vehicles over to what they called "auto gas". Which is called "natural gas" in the US because it's only like 80 cents per litre.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Welcome to CF!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats and share some pictures !

Welcome aboard!

***Don't forget to sign up to WIN ONE OF TWO custom built Jeeps! Enter Here >>> https://goo.gl/gUueoM

Here are some tips to get you started

10 Best Tips For a New Jeep Owner

We now offer financing for your jeep parts! TRAIL NOW. PAY LATER
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE

If you need anything please let us know! We also offer special forum discounts! -- We are here for you.
Feel Free to check out our page>>

Morris 4x4
Old 02-06-2018, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Welcome!

If you are still trying to decode the VIN #, check out this site. It will give you all the info you need once you enter your VIN #.

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...527R%2527%2529

Edit - Link doesnt take you to the right spot. Once you click on the link and the page opens, on the left side of the page, there is something that says "equipment listing". Click on that and then enter the VIN.

Last edited by 5-Speed; 02-06-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:07 AM

Hi Thanks for the link.

It gives a page error when I search. Apparently because it is a international VIN number (vs a USA type).

I think I have most of it decoded. Still, good page to have. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Welcome!

If you are still trying to decode the VIN #, check out this site. It will give you all the info you need once you enter your VIN #.

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...527R%2527%2529

Edit - Link doesnt take you to the right spot. Once you click on the link and the page opens, on the left side of the page, there is something that says "equipment listing". Click on that and then enter the VIN.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0
Default Equador

Welcome, A jeep in Ecuador.....What a great place to go wheeling !!!
Old 02-07-2018, 08:25 AM

More than you think, to start I am in Quito which is up in the mountains (center of Ecuador), so every road has an incline, some severe. Then, the roads are not all top quality, all the way to lots of holes and just plain dirt. And then, they have a severe culture of speed bumps, some as tall as a wall, so your average Nissan has to take them sideways so to not get stuck on top. So even a small trip to the grocery store becomes an "event".. :-) My wife is already surprised (first american car) that we can face the speed bumps and barely reduce speed or go sideways. LOL

Cars are high priced there. So people maintain their cars as a sizable investment. While the Jeep is old (1999) it is in amazing shape. $10,500!! for a 99!!! I need to go over the 4WD, a small leak of steering fluid, some hard starting (long crank) when cold. Other than that seems fine. Solid body. Interestingly, labor is cheap here, so body and paint is actually quite affordable. You barely see damaged cars on the road. A full pain can run $300 to $500... :-)

I see other Jeeps around and there is a local dealer, so I hope parts are not hard to come by. Thanks for the welcome.

Originally Posted by Ozalid
Welcome, A jeep in Ecuador.....What a great place to go wheeling !!!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4 cyl
Default Hi I am new here and new to jeep.

I have a 93 jeep cherokee xj 2wd 4cyl 4dr 2.5l. I just recently got it for $1100 hope I didn't pay too much..lol . I love it it runs no leaks . and then I got rear ended and totaled it but I'm alive hurt their car worse than mine. I'm keeping it ,it still drives, no leaks so i know I'm gonna need help keeping this in working order and adding to it I look forward to this sight.

Quick Reply: New here, new to Cherokee