New from Dallas, Tx

Old 04-01-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default New from Dallas, Tx

Fresh into the jeep world, picked these two up today. 1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 and 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd. I'm probably only keeping the XJ though, buddy of mine wants the comanche and requires a little more work. With that being said, both are running pretty strong and brought them home under their own will. Now the plan is to make the XJ a perfect daily as you all can see from the picture what my other vehicle is. LOL. Honestly, have no idea what I'm getting myself into and don't know where to start. I'd like to start with steering components as I already have death wobble at 60-65mph. Eventually I'll have it with a 3" lift and 31" tires to make it my perfect daily. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

first of all.. welcome to the forum and to the Jeep family.

to answer your initial question... I'd say tackle the death wobble first. It's pretty straight forward... a new track bar.. pretty easy to put in and relatively inexpensive too.
If you're "fresh" to Jeeps... just learn the acronym and make peace with it, then you're good to go. They can be needy little children...but the upside is on Jeeps (especially the older ones like XJs) is that if you're handy there's not much you can't do and fix yourself.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Welcome man,

I am also in Dallas, TX.... more like garland. Gotta agree with RocketMouse, if your handy, have patience and time most things on the jeep you can do yourself or with a little help.

Beautiful home by the way, there is so much to suggest first to do, but i would do the maintenance and make sure everything is solid before tackling a lift. Make sure whatever height you want take into consideration the things you need to buy or modify. That is my 2 cents
Old 04-03-2018, 11:19 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
first of all.. welcome to the forum and to the Jeep family.

to answer your initial question... I'd say tackle the death wobble first. It's pretty straight forward... a new track bar.. pretty easy to put in and relatively inexpensive too.
If you're "fresh" to Jeeps... just learn the acronym and make peace with it, then you're good to go. They can be needy little children...but the upside is on Jeeps (especially the older ones like XJs) is that if you're handy there's not much you can't do and fix yourself.
That's the plan, tackle the steering components first. Make it reliable, then tackle the nice cosmetic upgrades. Patience is the key, which I don't have much. Haha, thankfully I'm somewhat handy and plan to wrench on the jeep mostly myself with friends. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Batman33165
Welcome man,

I am also in Dallas, TX.... more like garland. Gotta agree with RocketMouse, if your handy, have patience and time most things on the jeep you can do yourself or with a little help.

Beautiful home by the way, there is so much to suggest first to do, but i would do the maintenance and make sure everything is solid before tackling a lift. Make sure whatever height you want take into consideration the things you need to buy or modify. That is my 2 cents
Thank you. I'm actually from Forney myself man. Just thought it be more relevant to say I'm from Dallas. I agree maintenance is what I should go after first. I've been looking at upgrades but that will have to wait.

-Ivan
Old 04-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Texas loves its MJs and XJs!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by svt_ivan
That's the plan, tackle the steering components first. Make it reliable, then tackle the nice cosmetic upgrades. Patience is the key, which I don't have much. Haha, thankfully I'm somewhat handy and plan to wrench on the jeep mostly myself with friends. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you. I'm actually from Forney myself man. Just thought it be more relevant to say I'm from Dallas. I agree maintenance is what I should go after first. I've been looking at upgrades but that will have to wait.

-Ivan
just IMHO... cosmetic upgrades are one thing... but on XJs... I think they actually look good with a few small battle scars... That way it comes across as actually being used for what they were originally intended... and not just a "Pavement Princess"
Old 06-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

welcome