Nebie who's always wanted a Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Nebie who's always wanted a Jeep

Well first off I would like to thank whoever took care of my registration problem (if anyone?) I was trying to register and skipped the security question not paying attention and kept getting a message saying third party software detected me as spam or something like that.

Anyways I tried going to the site and "removing" myself from the list like it told me to do but that site never would function it just kept opening with different errors.. I emailed with my registration problems and then this morning my account went through! Ok a lot of rambling out of the way sorry.

I'm Bobby from the very South eastern part of Missouri. I currently drive a stock s10 blazer that I was planning on doing a lift on but never could make myself pay so much to lift a vehicle that would sit like a stock fullsize truck and not be able to go through anything.

I've always wanted a jeep just by seeing all the things you can bolt onto them and the fact they are known as one of the best offroad vehicles. I chose the obvious XJ since it's an SUV and I don't like the "Easy access" of a wrangler for people to steal your stuff or the lack of cargo room on the inside.

well here I am owing $1000 on my blazer and I pull in this morning to make a payment when I see a 96 cherokee sitting at the lot.

I don't have credit built up and not a ton of money to just go out and buy a mint one. I also have no built up credit so I'm sure some of you guys can see it's not as easy as just finding a perfect vehicle to start with.

it is a 96 sport 4.0 H.O. (don't they all say high output?) automatic 4x4

it does have a bit of miles and the paint is in bad shape the body looked really straight and interior was clean minus stains on the passenger seat. (it doesn't look wheeled is a major plus) 216k miles but looking online engines and trans don't seem all that expensice (unless I'm missing something)

and my current blazer is a 2000 .. faulty power windows, a/c doesn't work.. 150k miles, front suspension needing work (loose and shakey steering) front shocks worn out and good old chevy lean to the right. the chrome on the wheels is flaking off and so is the paint on the hood. it's also easy to tell it was previously hit down the side.

I should pretty much just drive off with a straight trade with me assuming I'll still just owe $1000 and same payments.. what are your thoughts and things I should look for? I'm about to search but if there is a checklist thread for specific issues to look for I'd be grateful if you let me know.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome to the Cherokee forum
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the welcome I guess I rambled too much for anyone to read and add input oh well . Doing a lot of searching and seeing a lot of cool stuff

EDIT - answered my own question, thanks anyways guys?

for any other newbie that happens on this thread here is the checklist link for looking over a jeep

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/use...f-look-161961/

Last edited by b-dub; 06-08-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 AM

So I'm going to test drive it tomorrow. besides the list is there anything else I should look for that's been a common issue on jeeps? and no opinions on trading the blazer for it?

It will be mostly a DD on flatland in a very rural area mostly gravel and beatup backroads But I'd love to take it into some trails sometime. (that's what I'm wanting to get into) I'm still trying to get out of my mudding phase since I've only ever really had cars
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Hi and welcome from across the pond $1000 bargain.
Looks a nice one, good luck with your new sweetheart!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM

well I owe $1000 on my blazer so basically I'd be trading the blazer straight across for it and probably paying 1000-1500 for it... the blazer does need some suspension/steering work but (200 a month I have no credit to get a loan on a nicer one)

I have a huge checklist I've been writing down and am going to put the jeep on the lift as well to check it over (er under lol)