Just bought my first XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Just bought my first XJ

Hi all,

After looking for two months I finally found the perfect XJ for me. I was shooting for low mileage, decent interior, slightly banged up exterior, under $5k. Extremely difficult to find here in Denver. I bookmarked all of my autotrader and craigslist filters and refreshed every day whenever I was bored. Two days ago I refreshed my craigslist window and this little gem of a truck popped up.

PO was a sweet old lady who bought it new (verified on the title) and was selling because her husband is no longer driving and they only need one car. 1997, AMC I6, 4WD, clean interior, 118k on the clock... $3,000! When I was checking it over I didn't even mention the small issues or try to haggle with her, just handed over a deposit. Normally I would feel a little bad getting such a good deal from a sweet old lady. But she had a strong sentimental attachment, noticed how meticulous I was in my inspection and told me she was glad someone who would take care of her car was buying it.

The bad:
Rotors warped, a/c not blowing cold, radio doesn't work, ATF dark brown, out of alignment. I can live without the A/C so everything else is an easy fix. My only real concern is that there's stopleak in the cooling system :/ Getting that junk out looks either impossible or a royal PITA. Coupled with there not being a temp gage (I know it was the 90s but WTF Jeep) dealing with that stopleak seems like something I want to get on before taking her into the mountains.

At any rate, looking forward to getting to know everyone. Love my CTS VSport but the online community is full of people who take their car to jiffy lube for fluid changes. Excited to be back on a forum with guys that actually wrench.

Best,
Bill