Introduction.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction.....

Hi all,
Newbie here, just registered. I'll make a long story short.....
1991 Cherokee Briarwood, 178K, burns oil, body has rust damage, etc. I've owned it 10 years (since '97/88K) and love this car. It's old, tired, and badly in need of TLC and a thorough resto.....and it deserves one. I'll look to you experts for the best sources/links for the following parts:
*engine parts-better to rebuild or get a low mileage bonyard donor? (4.0HO)
*rust repair panels for front/rear lower doorskins and behind rear wheels
*new carpeting
*suspension parts/upgrades (4WD)
*aftermarket parts/mods that will increase value/performance
*hi-performance parts that will benefit power/gas mileage, etc
Thanks in advance for your help. I intend to rip into this thing in the spring (around May 1st) so I need to do my homework over the winter.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:48 PM

First off let me say welcome. there are vast amounts of knowledge in the tech write up at *********s ******************. if you cant find answers there then just ask. between all the guys we'll get you lined up best we can. just keep in mind when u ask a question let us know what exactly it is your asking and any info that pertains to it. like are you building a daily driver week end warrior do i need a big a** trailer to haul it. different set ups work for various things. as well as different set ups work better in some areas rather than others. so again welcome and ask away.

Bastard Child

Last edited by Kyle; 11-18-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:41 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

welcome . Wen it comes to rust it very well may be better to buy the new panels and replace the bad skins. I am in the middle of the same thing on mine and I thought that it wouldn't be bad but what you see is just the begining, if it looks bad then I can almost guarantee that it will be worse. every time I move to the next section I think oh this won't be to bad! WRONG!!

I guess what I am saying it make sure you are ready for what ever may jump out at you!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:28 PM

Thanx for the welcome! This is gonna be a daily driver (as it is now); not really much in the way of offroad, mostly just snow and back country roads at the most extreme (I'm a hunter, and occasionally stray off the beaten path). I'm aware of the rust thing, I've done quarter panels in the past and hope I don't have to resort to that, but I will if I have to.
Right now the BIG question is re; the engine....do I swap motors, or rebuild this one? I've been told I can pick up a low-mileage (?) 4.0 for under 500, which is probably a lot less than I'll pay to rebuild mine. The swap could be done in a few days, at most a week or so. But boneyard motors are questionable at best; caveat emptor, as they say. If I did rebuild mine I'd be sure of the quality of the job, and I could upgrade the cam and other essentials; basically start fresh. Downsides, of course: down time and money. Your opinions?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

just buy a rebuilt motor and swap it in, it will be cheaper then a rebuild and take less time.

-Kyle