Howdy from Central Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Howdy from Central Colorado

My name is Budd Cochran :hi: and I live in Canon City CO.

Last fall I swapped a 79 Dodge pickup for a 88 Cherokee that was more of a bag of problems than I thought ... but I'm slowly getting it fixed up.

My plan is to use it as a daily driver with some off-roading to get to fishing spots (but no extreme offroad) and as a toad for our Class C motorhome.

One problem area is the Peugot BA10/5 trans that's grinds 1st, 2nd, and 3rd synchros in cold weather unless you let it idle in neutral a few minutes.

Budd
Old 03-20-2009, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome Bud ! I'm Dan from Tenn.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Welcome
Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Welcome to CF from Washington state.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CF from COS!!

Good to have another Rocky Mountaineer around!!

Check into the four corners section.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from the UK
Old 03-20-2009, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Welcome.

One of these days I'm coming to Colorado. I need someone to "hook me up" with some good fishin.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by EvilBlackXJ
Welcome.

One of these days I'm coming to Colorado. I need someone to "hook me up" with some good fishin.

Just follow the main river in your state west and eventually you'll see some mountains. Canon City CO is on the Arkansas River and at one place, in the late 20's, they put a bridge a quarter mile above the water (Royal Gorge Bridge. Sorry, no fishing, spitting or dropping things off the bridge)

Gold Medal waters from Salida to Canon City (catch and release) for Rainbow, German Brown and Cuttthroat, iirc. I fish warmwater mostly, myself.

Budd
Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Welcome to CF from COS!!

Good to have another Rocky Mountaineer around!!

Check into the four corners section.
I'm not really interested in off-roading, especially just to break more expensive parts than the next guy. My off-roading will be getting to some fishing holes I just couldn't quite reach in a 4X2 Dodge pickup.

Besides, being on a fixed income, I don't have quite enough to fix all the repairs I need done as it is. Still working on a somewhat high idle and nursing a BA10/5 till I can figure out how to put an American automatic in it and keep the Renix.

And to be honest, the attitudes of some of the Jeep Safari attendees in 05 toward locals (I lived in Moab for seven years) did nothing to give any desire to join them. Not when they threaten to drive over a disabled person's (me) car with a CJ based rockcrawler just because I parked in a disabled space in front of where they were working on their expensive toy.

Budd
Old 03-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Welcome from TEXAS. Glad to have another Renix on CF. Those French trannies are a little weak but the later model will interchange. Not too sure about the expenses of an Auto though. Need several things besides just the tranny. Suchas a different computer and TPS just as a start.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Welcome from TEXAS. Glad to have another Renix on CF. Those French trannies are a little weak but the later model will interchange. Not too sure about the expenses of an Auto though. Need several things besides just the tranny. Suchas a different computer and TPS just as a start.
Hi, Mike,

I'm the guy (mr_d150@yahoo.com ) that was in the Yahoo Renix group that was asking about whether an ignition miss would mess up a Renix computer and with the crazy CPS relocation idea to allow "normal" transmission swaps not just transmissions specifically for the Renix Jeeps.

As near as I can figure, my BA10/5 may have as many as 300K miles on it (according to the odometer). I know transmissions can last longer, but the whole vehicle has signs of use as a utility vehicle for a house painter (spilled paint, damaged suspension, busted up roof rack, etc.), so I'm not too surprised at the trans synchros being noisy.

But, judging by the quality of the repairs in some areas when I got the XJ, there's someone with a mechanic's toolbox that needs to be locked away for the safety of the Universe and his tools donated to a real mechanic.

Budd
Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome.

when ever you get out here let me know and I will put you on the fish I have lived all over the state and I have fished on average 150 days out of the year for as long as I can remember
Old 03-23-2009, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by FrankSchmeiser
when ever you get out here let me know and I will put you on the fish I have lived all over the state and I have fished on average 150 days out of the year for as long as I can remember
Awesome. I'll return the favor. If you're ever in Arkansas, hit me up. I fish the Little Red River. Home of the world record Brown. The world record Walleye came out of the lake above the tailwaters.

Sorry to hijack your intro thread, 88.

Last edited by EvilBlackXJ; 03-23-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Awesome. I'll return the favor. If you're ever in Arkansas, hit me up. I fish the Little Red River. Home of the world record Brown. The world record Walleye came out of the lake above the tailwaters.

Sorry to hijack your intro thread, 88.

What hijack? I don' see no gun ...

Besides, Jesus hired fishermen first, then governmenmt officials. He knew which was more important.

Budd
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 88fadedglory
I'm not really interested in off-roading, especially just to break more expensive parts than the next guy. My off-roading will be getting to some fishing holes I just couldn't quite reach in a 4X2 Dodge pickup.

Besides, being on a fixed income, I don't have quite enough to fix all the repairs I need done as it is. Still working on a somewhat high idle and nursing a BA10/5 till I can figure out how to put an American automatic in it and keep the Renix.

And to be honest, the attitudes of some of the Jeep Safari attendees in 05 toward locals (I lived in Moab for seven years) did nothing to give any desire to join them. Not when they threaten to drive over a disabled person's (me) car with a CJ based rockcrawler just because I parked in a disabled space in front of where they were working on their expensive toy.

Budd
welcome from socal and there are others who are not into the off roading around here more into the fishing and just fun. i like to do some extreem off roading but if that is not your thing then it is OK with me

Quick Reply: Howdy from Central Colorado