Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hi! Stock 99 XJ - for now...muhahhaha, Clarksville TN

Hi all!

I swapped a guy my DR650 for his 99 XJ Sport. It's 99% stock and been used as a daily driver for all of its 244K miles!

I am developing a plan of attack for getting this XJ more trial capable to handle the Land between the Lakes!

I'd like to make modifications that are needed for the overall goal and that's to wheel out in Utah. I have an 01 Excursion 7.3L as my tow rig with a trailer just big enough to fit the XJ. I'd like to wheel in LBL in the meantime and enjoy my time in TN.

That said, a few things I want to do so far. I'd love input to help formulate this plan to transform the XJ. I know yall are much better versed in what it takes to make a rig worthy so here I am.

Things I'm debating with in my head:
long arm kit
35" tires
air compressor w/tank
air lockers
front/rear bumper with hooks and a receiver for a removable winch
Do I really need the frame stiffeners? If so, should they be first?
rock sliders
roof rack to hold a few lights and the spare (or is the rear bumper a better location?)
change the gearing (how much stress can the stock axles handle?)
sway bar - disconnects or other solution...see PS below

This is just off the top of my head. There is much more that's needs done, like routine PMCS. I need to change out the rear bearings asap...

Anyways, my goal is to create a list of mods, put them in logical order, start purchasing parts and then install and test. I really hope yall will take part in this build.

P.S. - I saw a video once of a guy that has a permanent solution for sway bar that doesn't need to be disconnected. I think it mounts under the front bumper and the arms can stay attached to the axle and not affect the movement. Anyone got any ideas where I can locate that setup? anyone used it?

Thanks for reading!
Robbie
Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to Cherokee Forum sir! You'll like it here.

The sway bar you're thinking of is probably Currie's AntiRock one. There are a few dudes on here who use it but really, it's not hard to disconnect your sway bar if you get quality disconnects.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/antirock.aspx

Frame stiffeners are more of a repair item really unless you plan to seriously flex the crap out of it on some rocks. If the truck came from Clarksville (Tennessee high-five), I doubt it has any rust.

Regarding gearing, do you have a Dana 35 like your little drop-down menu says? If so, you might want to look to upgrade to a Chrysler 8.25 or Ford 8.8 rear axle if you want to run 35s and lockers.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Welcome to the forum! Yea anti-rocks are cool, but still slightly limit your articulation, and don't fully prevent sway as well as a sway bar. I knew a guy who had that installed plus jks quick disconnects. That's not to say I don't still want them. I know the new jk's come with a similar system that is electronically controlled to lock and unlock. I think there might be a system like that that can be installed an XJ I don't remember where I saw it though.

Looking forward to see what you do though post some pictures.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome,

YES! Frame stiffeners should be the very first thing u do! It's like building a house, u need to build the foundation first

HD offroad sells a full set of stiffeners front to rear for only 330 bucks shipped to your door.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM

Thanks Battle! That's the one I was trying to find. That setup is trick!

I was also debating on whether I should do the frame stiffeners first...I do have a 170 amp 240V Harbor Freight welder...hmmmm.

Do folks buy different axles for 35's because they break them or to make sure they don't? I don't mind buying something for good reason and certainly don't want to setup the D35 only to have it break. That's why I hope to discuss all the parts as a unit before I buy the first thing. That's one of the reason I haven't even changed the bearings yet...no sense in doing that if I'm changing the axles!

Should I start a build thread to keep up with all this? Probably shouldn't get too involved in the Intro threads.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rch10007
Thanks Battle! That's the one I was trying to find. That setup is trick! I was also debating on whether I should do the frame stiffeners first...I do have a 170 amp 240V Harbor Freight welder...hmmmm. Do folks buy different axles for 35's because they break them or to make sure they don't? I don't mind buying something for good reason and certainly don't want to setup the D35 only to have it break. That's why I hope to discuss all the parts as a unit before I buy the first thing. That's one of the reason I haven't even changed the bearings yet...no sense in doing that if I'm changing the axles! Should I start a build thread to keep up with all this? Probably shouldn't get too involved in the Intro threads.
D35 can't stand up to 35's. Especially if u plan to have them locked.

The 220v welder u got is plenty good for stiffeners.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM

I'm going to start a new new thread in the "Chat" section to get a list together. Thanks for the replies so far!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look into a ford 8.8 swap for the rear, a well built 30 will handle 37s possibly slightly bigger. But yeah frame stiffeners are a must and a great place to start as most other armor or cages will end up tieing into them somehow. Plus its pretty much mandatory if you plan to take the doors off. As far as a long arm kit, look into a quality brand, i think im going rock krawler when I upgrade my axles.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site

Tony