Hello from S.C.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Hello from S.C.

Yesterday I made my first Jeep purchase after keeping an eye out on Craiglist, Cargurus, and the like for several months. I found it at a used car lot, for what I thought was a reasonable asking price based of the pictures. Made the hour and a half trip, and it looked just as good in person, and drove great. Had the typical small dent and scuff here and there, but overall very nice. The only "major" imperfection, which wasn't major at all, was the headliner was sagging. This assisted with the negotiations.
Ultimately I came away with a very stock, and unmolested, 1998 Jeep Cherokee (Classic) 4x4 with 112k miles on the 4.0. Supposedly (who knows how true) it was owned by a well off individual form up North, that kept it at a vacation home near the North Carolina / South Carolina boarder.

Finding this forum was awesome, and I've spent hours already on here reading / learning. Today I went ahead changed the oil, using Rotella T6 and Wix 51515, after many discussions I read. Only concern/thought I couldn't resolve was- is that the right choice for this Jeep (southern climate / not true high milage). Also a factor is I work quite a bit, and have a company vehicle so the Jeep will be a weekend, or every other weekend vehicle, with occasional usage in between. I also already had a guy replace the headliner.

Next up is going through the other fluids as suggested on others posts. I'm definitely open to suggestions on a list or order I should tackle these in, as well as other maintenance upgrades. They will be done spread out overtime due to busy work / life schedule. I intend to leave it as stock / original as I can other than a hitch that will soon be installed for a bike rack and future jon boat.

I'm here to learn, and look forward to utilizing the SEARCH function. Any/all suggestions are greatly appreciated on anything, but especially the order of which I should tackle the fluid changes / other components. If you're from Upstate South Carolina let me know of any reputable 4x4 / jeep shops too! I'm hoping to have this jeep for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Awesome snag!
I don't know of any shops, but lowrange2 has a big yard for parts