HELLO to the other side of the jeep family!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default HELLO to the other side of the jeep family!

Good evening new friends. I've been using your forums for a while now as I got a loaner 03 grand Cherokee 4.0 for my 93 YJ. Once I fixed the motor up and drove it up and down the street before pulling it I realized I love the engine still and wanted one as a daily. I bought a 1999 Cherokee sport from a lovely old couple down the street for 1500$. It has some quirks and they were told by a local mechanic it needed a head gasket. Its not the most beautiful XJ, but I really feel like I got a steal and the coolant leak I found came from the upper hose. I changed the radiator and hoses two days ago because the old man told me he used stop leak and I was finding that crud in a few places. So now I have 3 other issues I'm trying to sort with the very useful site here.

1) Lights dimming when idle yesterday morning. They also dimmed a few times while driving the first few miles. Seemed fine once warm. My battery connections are disgusting. No idea how old the battery is, but will test it and the alternator Monday.
2) Oil pressure sensing unit. It flakes in and out without any noticeable engine noises or feel. I tightened it a little today and it worked better but still dropping to zero randomly then coming back up to ~47-50. My thoughts are either to torque it to about 15 ft lbs as I wasn't the original installer and today I was working it with a crescent wrench which sucked, OR its tied into whatever dims my lights. Who knows just yet.
3) Death Wobble or what feels like very wobbly wheels when hitting certain potholes at decent speed. I went ahead and got a new trackbar today to install on my next day off.

If anyone has any useful thoughts, I'm open to hear them, other than that, I actually am enjoying my Cherokee a lot more than I thought. Its slowed me down on the progress of my YJ build enough to almost consider an XJ build.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

First off... welcome to the forum and the family. Sounds like you're getting indoctrinated into the typical life of Jeep ownership. lol. There's always something it seems like.

As for the issues... you will probably have better response posting in the main forum with them... as this is just introductions so most aren't looking for those kinds of questions to answer here.