Hello from MD! Also, quick question.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hello from MD! Also, quick question.

Hi, I am new to the forum. I do not own a Jeep of any sort. In fact, I never have. I am really interested in the XJ Cherokees. I am looking at them right now as a potential option to buy one and save some money in my car payment and get a little more space for my child on the way.

A little about my backstory. My Dad had a 94 Cherokee manual trans 4.0 liter. He loved that thing and never replaced the clutch and he sold it, still running great, with 247,000 miles on it. I loved that Jeep too. I just remember feeling all the torque as a kid, it was great! So, I have pretty much always loved these jeeps.

I have done some search but honestly, my questions are pretty simple. Maybe, if you have the correct search terms that would be really helpful too. I am looking at the 2000, 2001 years, but an auto trans for me as my current car is a manual and my wife cant drive it. I know brakes seem to be an issue on most of the cherokees, but what else should I look out for?

Also, how hard is it to put a baby seat in the back? What can I expect for real gas mileage? I am coming from a 2008 civic si sedan, that gets pretty good mileage but you have to put premium in it?

Finally, how hard are they to work on? I just want to know that I can work on it myself if something needs fixed. Anyway, I really appreciate any help here as I want to know if this would be a good Idea...it may just not make any sense.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee

Welcome to the forums.

I really cant give any XJ advice other than looking for rust in the rocker panels, fenders, door skins and floor boards.

As far as working on them, they seem pretty simple. The oil filter is really easy to get to. Ah, and smell the tranny flluid and make sure its does not have a burned smell.

Other folks on here could give you a little better advice.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Welcome
Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the welcomes. I am really interested in this and would be buying within the next month or two if possible. So any help would be great. Thanks for your info, good news about the oil filter.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CF from COS!!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks COSXJFAN...any words of wisdom for me?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

Later models are pretty much the same as the earlier...If you are looking for a family hauler / weekend worrior type truck you can't go wrong. If your gonna wheel it look for a Chrysler 8.25 rear end. As far as baby seats you have about the same options as many other mid sized SUV's. Working on the is easy, at least I think so, more so that an import. The 4.0 is a pretty straight forward and widely used engine parts can be had easily.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Awesome, thanks Skreed. The 4.0 seems to be a monster. Are the Cherokees pretty safe though? Obviously, don't want to get one if it isnt with the new baby coming in oh about...anytime now...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Welcome! As for working on cherokees its pretty simple to do repairs and along with cheap parts its great to be able to do things on your own without paying shop prices! I have a 98 4.0 and after driving in the mountains (many hills and turns) i got 21 mpg so not too shabby!!!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM

I can live with 21 mpg! Thanks for that info. I am just trying to convince my wife it is relatively safe. Anyone been in an accident or anything before? I really love the look and the utility, but safety?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

what age is your child..makes a bit of a difference.. I have a disabled boy thats 11 and he has to be in a car seat. Younger children need to be reverse facing and this is why I ask.. for the first few months if you tall like me it can be a bear of a time wiggling the car seat into place in the middle. Middle is best option for this for a few reasons. You have the open space between the seats for the extra room and personally I dont want my child near a door in case of impact. In the later months it get easier and usually theres ample room even behind the drivers seat.

they are great as family haulers and double for play when its time to get dirty.

Its pretty straight forward to work and and IMHO its easier to work on then My 81 dodge ram. Plugs are right there, cap and rotor easy to access, tranny in the auto's has a drain plug, brakes and basic maintenance is a snap.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

welcome from Ft.worth Texas.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the info and welcomes everyone. Bishop, that was very informative. My baby will be a newborn, so it will be rear facing in the center of the rear seat.

People keep suggesting to look at other SUVS but really, I don't want anything other than a Cherokee.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

Oh wheres my manners, I apoligize .. I totally and completely forgot to give you a welcome...

Hidy Ho from SE PEnnsylvania... welcome to the forum. My brother owns a 98 Mountianeer. His wife and he just had a little girl. Its basically going to be the same thing in that as in the jeep. Acessories for the baby add up too.
Stroller, car seat, diaper bag, change of clothes for both parents and baby, travel play pen and blankets on top of the already regular things.

Either vehicle will fit everything compariblly. He has the 8 cylinder so Ive got him beat with MPG. Really good thing about the jeep too is TURNING radius.. Gets into the tighter parking spots the his wont. Used to own a 98 mountaineer too, higher and a little more difficult to load child. Owned a 2000 caravan too. Id prefer the jeep though.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM

That is really good info Bishop. I sat in a 98xj yesterday and it was bigger inside than I thought. Pretty decent interior (purposeful) and you can get them for a great price. I am starting to lean this way, I just don't know. Unfortunately, I have had 4 cars in the past 5 years, I thought I was doing the right thing by getting a 4 door last time, but then my wife and I went with two of our friends to the ocean a couple of weeks ago and the car was packed, we couldnt even take two extra beach chairs with us and it was a one day trip! My wife drives a corolla and I have a civic. So, I am leaning towards a little extra space and no car payment (for once). Thanks for the info though, hopefully this works out in the next couple of months. I just have to find a good one at a decent price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello from MD! Also, quick question.